Best way to get packets from Amazon etc.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
What is the best way to get packages shipped from US online merchants like Amazon ?

Usually things get sent through Fedex or equivalent, and when they come, you pay customs to the shipper.

But I heard you can also have a kind of mailbox in Miami that will automatically forward things to you.

Is there an advantage? Do you need an address in the US to do that?

Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are you in the capital? I've used P O BOX International for over eight years and they are good.

Welcome to POBI (P.O. Box International)

It costs about US$10 per year + a charge per item received. They provide a P O Box address and a physical address in Miami. You can also send mail via their office.

There are several other options - maybe other posters could provide recommendations.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Are you in the capital? I've used P O BOX International for over eight years and they are good.

Welcome to POBI (P.O. Box International)

It costs about US$10 per year + a charge per item received. They provide a P O Box address and a physical address in Miami. You can also send mail via their office.

There are several other options - maybe other posters could provide recommendations.

Chiri- is this service only available if you live in SD?

Approx how much is the extra charge per item?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
EPS, Business Mail and Vimenpaq all have a deal worked out with Aduanas that as long as a receipt is included witht eh item shipped, no taxes will be levied for items that have a total cost less than US200.

Not every business has this agreement, make sure that you find out first. Also, Vimenpaq is the cheapest for bringing in packages.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

I don't think they have offices anywhere else, at least not according to their site. We pay approx. RD$20 for a letter, and a package with a couple of books from Amazon can cost up to a few hundred pesos. There is a cost calculator on the site.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007

I have seen an ad in the Costambar monthly for this service in POP, you might want to check back issues for it.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Business Mail - POP ! ! !

I've been using Business Mail, Plaza Turisol, POP for 4 - 5 years; I think it has offices in Santo Domingo & Santiago. At times, . . slow. But, . . . extremely reliable. Esp. with prescription drug shipments, in my case from Walgreens.
* Friendly, competent help, most of who speak some English.
* Open 5 1/2 days per week. NO 2 HOUR LUNCHES EVERY DAY!! Blessings from the divinity. Convenient location, in POP at least.
* I pay a monthly fee; only paying for individual packages weighing over 1 lb. As a consumer: my grading: by USA standards - "B"; by DR standards - "A++".
* If you live in an area were BusMail service is available, I suggest that you try it for 3 - 6 - 9 months. Not much to lose. Good hunting.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
get amazon's ebook reader, the kindle, then you can just download the books immediately without paying shipping or customs

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Adrian -

Thanks for the note on the Kindle, but anytime somebody says "download immediately" with the internet here...I'm leary. :)

I do like the idea, though because last time I ordered books from Amazon through Banker's Trust in Sosua it was quite a bit in shipping & customs. How fast do ebooks download for you here in the DR? Also, how's the battery life on the Kindle?

Thanks in advance and hope you're doing well!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I work 14 hours/day on the internet in the DR and have done for years. The internet works fine.

Books download in about 3 seconds. Battery life is maybe 1-2 days if you leave it turned on. If you keep turning it off when you're not using it, it will last probably for a month.

I'm not 100% in love with books on the kindle, but they are ok. Newspapers rock, I read the wall street journal every day on it now.

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Banker Trust Mail Service

Another mail service to consider is Banker Trust Mail Service in Sosua. They provide mail service for packages and letters, UPS and FedEx shipping, as well as a U.S. street address. They are located next door to Banco Santa Cruz. I believe their charges are less than EPS. Good service and friendly people. The office also offers safety deposit boxes on site... check out their home page to see the many other operations available.
Banker Trust
Pedro Clisante No. 25
809-571-4622
www.Banker-Trust.com

nigorv

Jul 11, 2008
If somebody can suggest any other service provider in Sosua/Cabarete region beside Banker Trust