My Intro Thread

fritz00

May 20, 2008
Hallo all. Just a quick intro thread.

I was born and raised in RD-- Santo Domingo-- very fond memories growing up.

My family is originally from Germany-- we moved back when I was 13. I now call Manhattan home. And, yes, I do trek up to Washington Heights to get my Dominican food fix! I'm always treated well when I share that I'm Dominicano. : )

I plan on visiting in a couple months with a friend of mine-- it's been too long since my last trip. I joined to get some up-to-date info on RD and whatnot.

yo.jpg

yo_y_papa.jpg

Me and my dad.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Very interesting. Out of curiousity, how long did your family live in DR before you were born? They must be surprised in Washington Heights when you start talking in fluent Dominican Spanish.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Welcome to DR1.

Make sure you bring some good good German schnitzel down with you, especially rinsdwurst! :)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Welcome to DR1!!! :)
You'll find everyone on here very helpful!!

When was the last time you visited?

fritz00

May 20, 2008
Thank you for the welcomes!

welcome fritz, when do you think you are going to the DR?
In a couple months-- mid-July. Can't wait.

Very interesting. Out of curiousity, how long did your family live in DR before you were born? They must be surprised in Washington Heights when you start talking in fluent Dominican Spanish.
My paternal grandparents came from Germany. My father was born in RD. He met my mother while he was in Germany in his 20's and she moved to the island with him.

A lot of people in the Heights are shocked when I break out into Spanish. It's hilarious. I met my current girlfriend during one of my many times there. She's Dominican.

Welcome to DR1.

Make sure you bring some good good German schnitzel down with you, especially rinsdwurst! :)

Jaja!!

Welcome to DR1!!! :)
You'll find everyone on here very helpful!!

When was the last time you visited?
Not since I was 15!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well you managed to get your post on. Looking forward to maybe seeing you here

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Which means that you will be swamped with girls after your hide!!

I suppose your grandfather was from Sosua???

You will be surprised at the changes in just the few years since you were here...be prepared...

Oh how I envy you this trip....young and single....oh man!!

Welcome to this board....lots of info here..

HB

Mar 2, 2008
What areas of the DR will you be visiting?
Sosua might be of some interest to you. As you might already know, it's where more than a few German-Jewish families settled in the 1930s. There is still a sizable German presence in Sosua.
It sounds as though you'll just miss Rocky's annual 4th of July party, but you can still enjoy a beer and ribs at Rocky's anytime.
Enjoy you visit.

fritz00

May 20, 2008
Be prepared for a few.........er.............differences :cheeky:.
JAJ! That's what an old friend of mine said to me. I know I'll have a good time, either way!

Well you managed to get your post on. Looking forward to maybe seeing you here

Matilda
Yes, that would be great! I'm always up for a meetup.

Which means that you will be swamped with girls after your hide!!
And don't I know it!!!

...I mean, err, I'm in a relationship, man!

Hillbilly said:
I suppose your grandfather was from Sosua???
Nope. He was born and raised in Santo Domingo.

What areas of the DR will you be visiting?
Sosua might be of some interest to you. As you might already know, it's where more than a few German-Jewish families settled in the 1930s. There is still a sizable German presence in Sosua.
It sounds as though you'll just miss Rocky's annual 4th of July party, but you can still enjoy a beer and ribs at Rocky's anytime.
Enjoy you visit.
Yes, I know about that settlement. I've met a few folks from that area in NYC. My grandparents aren't part of that set- they came to Santo Domingo.

I'll definitely remember to stop by Rocky's!

I'll be down there for a couple weeks, so hoping to see as much of RD while I'm there.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think this guy is not your regular sosua type visitor. He is dominican and fits into santo domingo scene. he will hate sosua city, maybe he will like the beach. I say, he is better off in santo domingo. he will have a blast.
hey man, come alone and enjoy the flavors this country has to offer. The girls will be all over you in major dance clubs so stay away from puta places. Call up your old friends from school and go out with them.
have fun.
AZB