Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My dog thinks it's a CAT

And not the furry felines, but the big yellow excavating machines. Yes my dogs have a penchant for digging up my garden! If anyone has any tips on how to solve this problem I would be very appreciative. I have a pair of 18 month Malinois, one male, one female. They have been trained as protection dogs and are very obedient and social. They are great companions, but I find my love for them waivers every now and then, especially when I find a new crater in my lawn.

You see I am a Brit. And we Brits like our lawns. We have had them for generations and as a result from our empire we have graced the world with wonderful activities such as tennis, golf, football, rugby, cricket and bowls. Not that Brits are any good at them, but we gave them to the world nonetheless and they all stem from an Englishman's (and a Scotsman's) love of green grass!

Also where can I buy grass seed on the North Coast?

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem so had a simple solution. I got rid of the grass and put down gravel and patio. No more grass to maintain. Easier to clean up dog poo, less ticks and mosquitos. Easy!!!!

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly one of them has to go, the grass or the dog... your choice.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    And not the furry felines, but the big yellow excavating machines. Yes my dogs have a penchant for digging up my garden! If anyone has any tips on how to solve this problem I would be very appreciative. I have a pair of 18 month Malinois, one male, one female. They have been trained as protection dogs and are very obedient and social. They are great companions, but I find my love for them waivers every now and then, especially when I find a new crater in my lawn.

You see I am a Brit. And we Brits like our lawns. We have had them for generations and as a result from our empire we have graced the world with wonderful activities such as tennis, golf, football, rugby, cricket and bowls. Not that Brits are any good at them, but we gave them to the world nonetheless and they all stem from an Englishman's (and a Scotsman's) love of green grass!

Also where can I buy grass seed on the North Coast?

You think you have a problem... I have lamb fast gowing to be a sheep that thinks its a dog!! He eats lots of things but won't touch grass and his favourite foods are crisps, Ritz biscuits or any biscuits with chocolate added - we all have our "crosses to bear" and, yes, I too am a Brit but with 11 dogs and 2 cats what's a lawn apart from a poo area!!! And flower gardens are meant to be dug up overnight - yes/ no??

John Evans

How to Stop a Dog from Digging Holes. Why Do Dogs Dig?

perhaps the area is too small for them...its says in this article that they also dig if they are too hot or they could be bored by their confinement

bowls was invented in india and tennis in france
    Last edited by John Evans; 05-20-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

Too hot!!! Whats to do about that in this country???? They dig because they want to go to Australia!

John Evans

build them a swimming pool and games room with darts and pool table

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!! Good one John.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know your set up but perhaps a designated " digging area " that you teach them to use? I'm guessing they are bored so plenty of exercise and chew toys might help. Alas, there are always ( gulp ) shock collars. Best of luck.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Psych 101.
    Positive manipulation by negative reinforcement.

Toss a live firecracker into the hole that the dog is digging.
    That'll cure 99% of dogs instantaneously.
    If he is particularly stubborn, a repeat performance will do the trick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast