DR in the Top Thirty Countries!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Colombia, here I come. My next trip: bogota, armenia, pereira and medellin (if time left over).
AZB

Mar 2, 2008
Tajikistan, Tunisia, Kyrgyzstan, Guatemala, Cuba ?????
Plus Columbia and we have a questionable result. I'm not sure every social scientist would agree with the outcome.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Gee, The Ukraine is 173rd. If any of you have seen the movie "Borat" it is not that far off in certain instances.

I'll call my dad to see how he feels about the motherland being disrespected in such a fashion...:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Problems with the Formula

The formula they use is Ave.Lifespan x Some sort of Life Satisfaction index divided by some measure of Environmental Footprint x a constant.

I noticed that Iceland with great scores for Lifespan and Satisfaction has a red EF so it scores way below the DR or Belize. This despite the fact it generates 100% of it's electricity from geothermal, doesn't generate high levels of greenhouse gases and is generally a very clean environmentally progressive place.

It seems to be a ranking of impoverished but not too unhealthy, reasonably happy places on the theory that small Environmental Footprint = impoverished and the goal should be to live in poverty without too much sacrifice in health or happiness.

Both the DR and Columbia would rank high on that scale (and even higher if they had cheaper cervesa).

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Un coco de agua por favor

:bunny:I don't know but to me it all bout oneself. The statistics say one thing but reality may say something else. I think that is how one want to live hi/her life. I am not the type of person who suffer or make herself misserable for what don't or can't have. At this moment I wish I could have un coco de agua, but all I can have is an ice tee. so I'm enjoying it............:cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There seem to be a few annoying yet telling omissions in how happiness is defined. I'm all in favour of factoring in environmental footprints but what about things like equitable distribution of income spread, Governmental transparency, effects of corruption, protection of human rights, protection of pro-democracy efforts etc etc?

When I see a study which places Burma (Myanmar) at 77 ahead of Belgium at 78 and Haiti at 85 ahead of Spain at 87 I tend to end up scratching my head somewhat................:cheeky:

I mean BURMA?????????? Do they not know what is going on there? 'Life satisfaction'...yeah!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I lived in Medellin and I think Santiago is better.

Really? So what is this I hear all about medallo that seem to attract so many people who dream about living there? Actually a few colombians have told me that its a dangerous city. I hear so many conflicting reviews on medellin that I simply don't know what to expect from this city. I like bogota but the cold drives me nuts. Bucaramanga is very similar to santiago. I might just skip medellin all together from my next upcoming colombian trip. Adrian please send me a PM regarding your living experience in mde. Thanks.
AZB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I studied at the Medellin equivalent of PUCMM for 8 months. I just found a lot of the people rather "plastico". I liked Pereira much more. Armenia and manizales should also be nice. All three towns are rather small. Bogota is too spread out. I am a bit concerned by all the kidnapping stuff in Colombia to return anytime soon.

But you should go see for yourself.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There seem to be a few annoying yet telling omissions in how happiness is defined. I'm all in favour of factoring in environmental footprints but what about things like equitable distribution of income spread, Governmental transparency, effects of corruption, protection of human rights, protection of pro-democracy efforts etc etc?

When I see a study which places Burma (Myanmar) at 77 ahead of Belgium at 78 and Haiti at 85 ahead of Spain at 87 I tend to end up scratching my head somewhat................:cheeky:

I mean BURMA?????????? Do they not know what is going on there? 'Life satisfaction'...yeah!

Very good points, obviously they need to do a "gut check" and re-look at the inputting factors.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as Colombia goes, I have met many, many Colombians in Central Florida who emigrated because of political issues. I'm sure many people feel fine and safe there, until someone they know or a family member is targeted by whomever - then I'm sure it gets real scary.

I also agree with Adrian that Dominicans are more open and friendly than Colombians in general.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
ABZ,

Make sure you stay away from the cheap barrio sluts on your next trip to Colombia.