Cedula?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Ok. I got my permanent residency about a month or so ago. I need to get my cedula and was waiting until after the elections to do so so the place wouldn't be so crazy.

The question is how much does it cost to get the cedula and what documents do I need to take with me? Do they take the picture there as they did with the residency card or do I need to take a picture with me? Will my residency card and passport be enough or do I need to take all the documents from my residency with me?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Ok. I got my permanent residency about a month or so ago. I need to get my cedula and was waiting until after the elections to do so so the place wouldn't be so crazy.

The question is how much does it cost to get the cedula and what documents do I need to take with me? Do they take the picture there as they did with the residency card or do I need to take a picture with me? Will my residency card and passport be enough or do I need to take all the documents from my residency with me?

Hi Jan, all you have to bring is your old cedula (they will keep it) and your new residency. They take the picture at the JCE, that takes about 5 minutes.
Costs are RD$1,200 to be paid at the cash counter outside before.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
no old cedula

The old cedula was stolen years ago. I have the police report form about 3 years ago that states this.

I was speaking to some dominicans and they said it was free. Guess they're wrong.

So what does one do if they are not giving out cedulas? Can I use my residency card in place of it to get cable TV and a bank account?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I do not think you will have to pay anything, but I could be wrong.

Yes I was surprised to see a fee mentioned in a post above because each time I've renewed it has always been free. Last time I renewed was 5+ years ago so it could have changed.

As far as I'm aware foreigners renewing cedulas need to go to Centro de Extranjer?a in SD, not one of the local offices. Where Av. 27 de Febrero intersects with Ave. Luperon. According to website phone number is 539-5419 Ext. 2285.
Centros de Servicios de la Junta Central Electoral

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi Jan, all you have to bring is your old cedula (they will keep it) and your new residency. They take the picture at the JCE, that takes about 5 minutes.
Costs are RD$1,200 to be paid at the cash counter outside before.

Since when is their a cash counter outside? Sounds like an enterprising Dominican starting a new business for himself.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Cash payment is made next door in the same building. And yes they are currently issuing them as we got ours done two weeks ago.

Bob K

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cash payment is made next door in the same building. And yes they are currently issuing them as we got ours done two weeks ago.

Bob K

I do not think you pay anything for a renewal of a Cedula. Was yours new?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I do not think you pay anything for a renewal of a Cedula. Was yours new?

Believe it or not but the cost is RD$1,200 for foreigners and less for Dominicans.
They are issuing them, I got mine renewed about two months ago, a friend of mine did it last week. You have to go to Santo Domingo if you are foreigner.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Confusion ...

Nicky got up at 4.00am and drove to SD about two months ago and despite over half an hours' worth of arguement was turned away AT THE DOOR. They told her she could only renew her cedula locally in Sosua. This was the second time in as many months that she had been. The first time they told her they had run out of blank plastic cards.

I went to Sosua town hall less than a month ago and spoke to the issuing clerk who told me he could only issue me with one that was already out of date! He showed me his own and it too was expired!

Maybe there has been a change in procedure regarding renewing and getting your first one?

Either way it's worth treble checking first I ain't making this sh!t up!!!!