Is it legal in the D.R. to go door to door to sell your product?

richmex

Apr 9, 2008
Hi, My business will be direct door to door with businesses in the D.R.. I just want to check to see if this is legal or not. Thank you for your reply.

Feb 7, 2007
Hi, My business will be direct door to door with businesses in the D.R.. I just want to check to see if this is legal or not. Thank you for your reply.

I don't know if it is legal or not, I have seen people doing it. Also street vending, etc. But legality is not the issue here. The security is more important - you may get objects thrown on you, or even shots fired.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Yes, it's legal to sell door to door...
Most education related books, like encyclopedias are sold that way, as well as cooking pots and pans, dinner wares, crafts, etc...

Just don't expect people to have the money to pay for items on the spot. Most sellers provide credit to clients, always that they make sure they'll stay put in the residence enough time to pay for the entire bill.

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Study your target

:)It is completely legal, yes safety would be an issue but where would not be? Check your target first that way you can have an idea of how to approach them. ;)Good luck with your business.:classic:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Fruits, books, English courses, and brooms and stuff are being peddled on the street daily here. Also scrap metal and old battery buyers drive around with mikes blaring their business offers thru a loudspeaker mounted on an ol' pickup truck.
Mostly nobody will ring the bell. Most houses don't have a working bell anyway.

Now the fact that it is being done does not yet certify the legality of it, as we have come to learn from other things done here... like passing left of a double line on a Hwy or shortcutting by turning left on a roundabout and, and, and... ;)

Why, any Yankee carpetbaggers planing to immigrate? :D

... J-D.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You may have a hard time getting in to see the person who can make the decision to buy. In Santo Domingo, the barrier would be getting into the apartment building. The concierges/watchmen/doormen are there to impede you getting through without previous authorization from who you will be seeing. With safety becoming every day more of an issue in Santo Domingo, more barriers are being put up, thus selling door to door is becoming more difficult. You will first have to check out whether the community you will be selling to is easy to access. This will vary greatly throughout the communities.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, you are right, didn't read it well. Re selling door to door to businesses is tricky. Again, depending on where he will be operating. At least in Santo Domingo, people will prefer that you have a previous appointment.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I made my first real money selling door to door... but that was in Switzerland and later in Eastern Germany when the walls started crumbling.
When I lived in Ecuador in '93-'95, I first only observed the "criolio" style of peddling brooms, fruits and vegetables. But all of a sudden, well dressed lads and young ladies appeared peddling all sorts of new services... cell phones where coming up, so did Internet service and on the other hand all sorts of BS-items and "services"... all "direct sales". Well, from what I observed and what we heard some of these "sales"-people where making, many did a killing.
Latinos like to chat... that's the door in. Then, they can be taken easily on the spot if the sales pitch is tuned to their aspirations.
Signature sales with a small deposit, of which usually all or at least half was the "sales people's" commissions. Later the "officiales de cuenta" would show up and try to milk the deal as long as possible.
At the same time "visitadora medica" quickly became the most desirable "job". Some "chicas" quickly went from making USD 200.oo a month at a bank to a grand or more! It got so crazy, people started to peddle paid courses to become a "visitadora medica" and did, for a while, a killing to.

Yesterday, after for several weeks having been unsuccessful finding a new rental house in Puerto Plata going down the "traditional" route of working with local agents, I went around and distributed fliers door to door in neighborhoods I am interested in. WHILST doing so I already got people calling me and one showing on the spot. And all that after placing only 40 fliers in 2 hours. Would I be an agent, I'd have 4 new listings in 2 hours.
The great part is that people hand information around and try to help you too.

I don't know what the OP has in mind exactly, but, while I have not yet seen much of any going on here yet, except for the "visitadores medicos" (yes, here they are mostly males)... I am confident that for a person which has a good perception of how people are and operate around here, there is potential.

Still, all this does not answer the OP's question about the legality or limitations on soliciting.
... J-D.