Santo medical dominicana warning and others

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
My wife was involved in an accident today and had head trauma after hitting her head into the windshield of our car. I can honestly say I have no idea how she had no visual evidence. She broke the upper part just left ofthe sun-visor of the windshield being the strongest part of the glass. A person of course never stopped at the stop sign as they all do around here. We went to this hospital since it is close to our home and of course being that our car is not drivable by any means. My wife has medical insurance being ARS Palic Salud. this hospital stated that her insurance company was closed and only would do service that they knew was covered. I knew my wife needed an MRI or at the very least a CT scan, but they only would provide an X-Ray!!! an X-Ray!!! of her head. Since when does any medical provider do an X-ray of a head?? to determine any soft tissue damage? I told mywife toask for the person in charge of this Hospital, only to get a person that had a major attitude issue [he was the person in charge] as well as not giving a damn about our situation. I was talking to my wife because she was translating to me and after this person realized that I was an American, told my wife to pay cash and they will do the MRI. I would like to know what rights do we have here if any with these hospitals.

After trying to get help and nothing being done for more than 1 hour, we decided to try another hospital, we went inside, told them that the doctor we saw said that my wife needs an MRI, and they told us that they do not have such equipment. We then had to go to another hospital being CMR and they told us that the tech that does the MRI'S has left for the nite. It was only 9:30 by this time. They also suggested doing a head X-Ray and by this time, decided to have it done. Nothing came back as we both knew since there was no visual damage, but my wife still feels pressure in her head and also feels dizzy. I really don't understand what these hospitals are here for when they cannot provide the proper medical needs of their patients. i know in the states that the hospital by law, will provide any service to you and ask for payment later. Here, they only care about the money first!,and they do not have the necessary equipment and if they do, there is nobody there to operate it. Can anyone tell me if there is something that we can do about this? Is there a medical law in place about human rights or some kind of medical facility that makes the hospital to follow a certain protocol?

Also, what can be done about the person that hit my wife? I have never seen anything like this ever, and my wife has told me that they only exchange personal info upon having an accident because the police never come to make a report. So now I'm sure that the woman who hit my wife will only lie to her insurance company stating that my wife hit her since there is no police report. I can only thank God my son was not in the car by this time, because that's where she was headed, to pick him up from school. I am at a total loss at my thoughts right now. Is there any justice in this country? or does everyone just do whatever they feel like? I hope that somebody can really help us if there is anything that can be done. I would like to do something about all of this, so it will help others from going through what we have. I still have no idea if my wife is going to be okay, and I been keeping her awake just to monitor her through the night. You would think that the hospital would of wanted, or should have done this, but is was like, huh, next patient!

Sorry if I come off kinda strong here, but just think if this was your wife, your daughter, your grandmother, or even yourself. thanks so much for any direction on these 2 issues. I love the people here, you all been so helpful in the past, so please help us if you can. Anthony

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Get better insurance and next time go to the private trauma centers all over the city with equipment on par to the US and rest of the developed world.

Last place I take a family member after an accident is to any Hospital!!!

Exchanging of information is the norm in the DR, the insurance companies fight the damages between them and you only provide a signed affidavit of the accident as recalled...

Public Hospitals in the DR are for the poor that can't pay for the best services in private clinics that operate better than any Hospital ever would...

Did I mention better insurance?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
You also need to go to either the Palacio de Policia or the Casa de Chofers to make a report, ASAP = the insurance company for your automobile will require a copy of the report before they will repair the damages to your vehicle. Dont send your wife there alone, go with her, as this is a very macho place which doesnt tolerate women very easily. Your auto insurance will go after the other drivers insurance company for reimbursement.

Is sounds as if you also need to talk with Palic and get a better idea of how they operate, what they cover, how to make a claim, which clinicas accept their coverage, etc. From the things I have heard, Palic has good insurance, or did.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You do not come off strong and I'm terribly sorry about your wife's misfortune.
I pray she will recover.
You can only do the best you can, given the situation and the level of difficulty of getting proper care in this country.
I hope it all works out for you and your wife.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"NEXT TIME", Go To CEDIMAT In The "Plaza de la Salud"

Located on Ortega Y Gaset near Calle San Martin. I worked there for 10 years. They not only have a "GE" MRI,and CAT Scaner, but more important, Doctors who can read and make a diagnosis from the results! CEDIMAT has a Head Trauma, and Chest Pain "ER" you drive up,and go right in! No insurance questions first! You will be treated on-the-spot! I recomend that if you live in Santo Domingo,you make a "Dry Run" so you will know how to get there if the need arises!
Better "Safe",than "SORRY" as this "OP" now knows!
PS that "Seatbelt" question shows "LOTS" about the poster's character!
Bet you blame women for getting raped!?????????????????????
"After all,she WAS wearing "sexy" clothes at the time! Must have been "Asking" for it! Right???
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
its hard for me

Get better insurance and next time go to the private trauma centers all over the city with equipment on par to the US and rest of the developed world.

Last place I take a family member after an accident is to any Hospital!!!

Exchanging of information is the norm in the DR, the insurance companies fight the damages between them and you only provide a signed affidavit of the accident as recalled...

Public Hospitals in the DR are for the poor that can't pay for the best services in private clinics that operate better than any Hospital ever would...

Did I mention better insurance?

I am only getting disability from the US and its very hard for us, although my wife is from here. The problem is, the hospital stated that her insurance company was closed etc, and since they saw that I was an American, they didn't try to help, they just firgured that w could pay cash. Thanks so much for this info! I will have my wife read this thread and see if she knows of these places mentioned. We are goingto the police today, I'll post back later and fill you in on what they say. Thanks again :)

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
great!

You also need to go to either the Palacio de Policia or the Casa de Chofers to make a report, ASAP = the insurance company for your automobile will require a copy of the report before they will repair the damages to your vehicle. Dont send your wife there alone, go with her, as this is a very macho place which doesnt tolerate women very easily. Your auto insurance will go after the other drivers insurance company for reimbursement.

Is sounds as if you also need to talk with Palic and get a better idea of how they operate, what they cover, how to make a claim, which clinicas accept their coverage, etc. From the things I have heard, Palic has good insurance, or did.

Thanks gringo as always! my wife said the same thing that her insurance is or was very good. We pay 3,000 a month so its for whatever is or should be close to the best they have. I'm 6'3 205, thanks for the warning and you bet i will be with my wife although I will have no idea what is being said. This sounds likethe best first stop for us and we apprciate this info as well. I feel much better after reading this post. Thanks so much! Anthony

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
thank you

You do not come off strong and I'm terribly sorry about your wife's misfortune.
I pray she will recover.
You can only do the best you can, given the situation and the level of difficulty of getting proper care in this country.
I hope it all works out for you and your wife.

Thank you for your well wishes Rocky, she is still not feeling right, and It's killing me because we have no money at all right now, nor do we have anyone to borrow from. I have credit at my local corner market store thank God! without his help, we could never get by sometimes.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I hope she's ok!
I find that many insurances offer coverage for the most part for injuries as the one your wife suffered. But one big caveat is that most of the coverage touted is centered to a handful of caregivers only...

The Hospital required the insurer to get approval for most of the needs that your wife required and atop of it, they couldn't provide even if they had the approval on time...

Private trauma centers (read careful I say "trauma" not "clinics" only) will provide 100% care to those kinds of injuries that can't be detected via a turn of the century's X-Ray... Make sure you update your knowledge and familiarity with some of them closer to you in the event of major emergencies.

Even if all you get is disability from the US, the centers will set payment plans for you as long as you can provide proof of income, in the event that your insurer wouldn't cover the center's services.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Located on Ortega Y Gaset near Calle San Martin. I worked there for 10 years. They not only have a "GE" MRI,and CAT Scaner, but more important, Doctors who can read and make a diagnosis from the results! CEDIMAT has a Head Trauma, and Chest Pain "ER" you drive up,and go right in! No insurance questions first! You will be treated on-the-spot! I recomend that if you live in Santo Domingo,you make a "Dry Run" so you will know how to get there if the need arises!
Better "Safe",than "SORRY" as this "OP" now knows!
PS that "Seatbelt" question shows "LOTS" about the poster's character!
Bet you blame women for getting raped!?????????????????????
"After all,she WAS wearing "sexy" clothes at the time! Must have been "Asking" for it! Right???
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This was a genuine question not trying to be sarcastic at all and you're attacking me personally. If you have a chip on your shoulder go see a shrink

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Thank you for your well wishes Rocky, she is still not feeling right, and It's killing me because we have no money at all right now, nor do we have anyone to borrow from. I have credit at my local corner market store thank God! without his help, we could never get by sometimes.

If you do feel that things aren't looking better, give me a pm and let me see how I can help you to get the check up she needs...

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
My wife was involved in an accident today and had head trauma after hitting her head into the windshield of our car.

Hope she's feeling better now, but wasn't she wearing a seat belt?

Thanks so much for your well wishes and thank God, she was wearing her seat belt, but due to the impact, the buckle broke since it was only plastic. great job in the design of this belt by mitsubishi....

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Thanks so much for your well wishes and thank God, she was wearing her seat belt, but due to the impact, the buckle broke since it was only plastic. great job in the design of this belt by mitsubishi....

Glad to hear that she was wearing the belt and eventhough it broke it must have absorbed quite a bit of the impact. How's your wife doing now, hope she's doing better.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
where?

I hope she's ok!
I find that many insurances offer coverage for the most part for injuries as the one your wife suffered. But one big caveat is that most of the coverage touted is centered to a handful of caregivers only...

The Hospital required the insurer to get approval for most of the needs that your wife required and atop of it, they couldn't provide even if they had the approval on time...

Private trauma centers (read careful I say "trauma" not "clinics" only) will provide 100% care to those kinds of injuries that can't be detected via a turn of the century's X-Ray... Make sure you update your knowledge and familiarity with some of them closer to you in the event of major emergencies.

Even if all you get is disability from the US, the centers will set payment plans for you as long as you can provide proof of income, in the event that your insurer wouldn't cover the center's services.

hello pichardo,

Great info and where is such a clinic/hosp in the quesquia area? My wife's neck is now stiff and cannot move it from left to rigt as well as back pain in the c-5 c-6 c7 t-1 t-2 t-3 t-4 to about t-5 and also pelvic pain. From what we understand, her insurance does not cover MRI's or CT scans over the weekend. Any thought? please help.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just a very basic question

Are there ANY threads here that don't go off the deep end, stay on topic, and try to HELP the OP withouut the usual back and forth B.S.????
The poor guy has a wife with a head injury, no money, insurance that is F*&^ked up and you guys want to talk about who is at fault(seat belts)
Surprise no one said-Thats what you get for living in a third world country dude.

Don't give ME a break -give HIM a break and pray for his wife's speedy recovery.

Do the right thing--give the guy the best advise you have.
john

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uhhhh, in his own unique way, Chris Colon told the people where to go: Cedimat....EOP.

That is what they should do...period.

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
hello pichardo,

Great info and where is such a clinic/hosp in the quesquia area? My wife's neck is now stiff and cannot move it from left to rigt as well as back pain in the c-5 c-6 c7 t-1 t-2 t-3 t-4 to about t-5 and also pelvic pain. From what we understand, her insurance does not cover MRI's or CT scans over the weekend. Any thought? please help.

Pelvic pain is heavily associated with the pressure of the lower seat belt (lap over) point of pressure to small framed persons.

As your description of the pain explains, she suffered heavy compression on her back as well... Hmmm... That's not rare after hitting a windshield either, but, it tends to diminish a few hours after the fact...
The same goes for neck pain, should last no more than a day or so...

When you say over the weekend, you mean they have a policy towards covering benefits only on regular office hours? That's ridiculous!!!

I would take the recommendation given by the earlier poster "Criss Colon" and head to CEDIMAT, as noted, no questions asked on front...

I'm sure they'll find a way to bill your insurer somehow shifting the services rendered to office hours (still ridiculous).

Like I said, if you find yourself in a bind b/c money, drop me a pm and let's see what can be done...

First thing first, go to CEDIMAT...

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I truly hope your wife doesn't suffer any serious injuries and that it's more like someone else said, just the natural after affects of the impact. And hopefully you have taken CrissColon's advice as to where you need to go (and possibly have gone by now). I will have your wife's health in my prayers.

My only advice is to keep copies (or originals) of absolutely every single record and report pertaining to this whole incident. Right now your wife's health is the very first priority. But I know from umpteen years of experience in the Legal Department working in Product Liability Litigation for a major automobile manufacturer, that the seatbelt buckle is NOT supposed to just break on impact. In the future you may wish to pursue this matter in court against Mitsubishi.

God Bless.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
thank you all!

My wife and i have gone to the salud/cemat clinic/hospital as Cris has suggested and got the CT scan. At the start it seemed like we were doomed again because the first doctor only wanted to do an X-Ray like the other 3 hospitals/clinic we went. I had enough of this crap and searched for somebody that spoke English. I was directed to the person in charge of the ER little did I know, and he took total control over my wife's case. He stated this to the doctor that first saw my wife.. If she broke the windshield/glass with her head, she needs to be taking much more seriously, therefore please write her for an CT scan and I will sign it. I did feel a little bad for the doctor that only wanted to do an X-ray, but finally felt some justice and it's been long over due! As it turns out, all it okay, she does have a stretched neck and pulled muscles and will need physical therapy over the next few weeks. She also needs to go back later today or in the week, to have her pelvis/stomach area checked via a sonogram. Although she is still in great pain, we can relax knowing that she is okay. I cannot thank all of you enough for all the posted replies, especially from Cris. Mr pichardo is a wonderful person for he has really helped us out when it counted most. I must say this is a very unique site and I'm very glad to be a part of this community. It's really nice to see perfect strangers helping one another in times of need and sometimes just to clear some air from time to time. after all, this is what Jesus wants from all of us, to love thy neighbor, and more so as he said it, love each other as I loved you. this site is a great reflection of his words. I hope that I can help somebody here one day, because that is the real me. I am the one that always helps, and now some wonderful people has come together to help my wife and I, thanks so much again!!! Anthony