Mobile number porting between networks

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A Dominican friend of mine has heard that there has been a government decision to allow number porting across the cellphone networks.

He says it is likely to be implemented early next year. That would be great news for consumers, but bad news for the networks as competition would really open up and they would be forced to provide a better service and keep costs competitive.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have been with Orange for ages, but I found that their service was rapidly deteriorating. The outage over the first weekend in May was the final straw for me, so I changed to Claro. I have found their service of late to be even worse! Luckily I kept my Orange phone so at least I'm not totally incommunicado like a lot of people have been recently. What I have done is set up a call divert service from my Orange phone to my Claro one. If I don't answer my Orange one, the call is diverted to my Claro one. The only downside to this is cost. You have to pay for the calls that are forwarded on, but in my case a necessity for my business. And also for me to change my phone number would be a real hassle. I would also add that when Claro does work I think it is a better service than Orange. They have better coverage and their EDGE service is is quite fast.

I don't know about Viva, the relaunched Centennial network. It looks like they've invested some serious money with their new brand and advertising and can only be a good thing to keep competition healthy.

If you will be able to take your number to any network you choose, it can only get better.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I just swich to Viva, and I like it a lot better than the Porqueria of service Claro was giving me.

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Has everybody notice how many complaints have Claro been getting since Carlos Slim bought the network from Verizon?? When Claro was Verizon, there was 0 to none complaints about the service...