Cheap Thrills

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As a rule, cars/SUVs and trucks are very expensive in this country, used or new, averaging 20% to 40% more than our American counterpart's prices.
However, I do have some decent connections for good vehicles at reasonable prices, and I keep an eye out for special deals.
Despite not needing or looking for a new car, (new to me, not brand new) I just picked up a 2002 Acura TL 3.2 type S at approx. US price and can't resist buying it, even though my Lexus is in perfect condition and a great car, but variety is the spice of life and I like this "new" car.
I just went out for a late night ride, partially to test it, but mostly to learn what all those buttons do.

My goodness, I'm out of touch with the technical advances that have been made since moving here.

dancgif.gif

It has one of these monitor screens for the GPS system, that doubles as a menu/control center for other components, like the AC, where the monitor itself is touch sensitive.

STB_2894.jpg

5555343x329.jpg

That alone was enough to give me a cheap thrill,
02306NC-1039700.gif
but there are all sorts of other doodads, like a factory premium Bose sound system that has a slot for a CD, and it somehow gobbles up 6 of them.

Where they all go, is beyond me, but it works and sounds pretty darn good.
The car has a 5 speed automatic transmission, but it also has an option for going into manual sequential shifting,
4444222x599.jpg

that turns the car into a rocket ship,

66666208x512.jpg

that goes like a bat out of he11.

I found a button, labeled TCS, presumably short for traction control system, and it gives the car a launch capability that prevents wheel spin, even on wet or dirt roads, a bit like the Formula 1 cars use to start their races.
This car is the most "loaded with options" car that I have ever been in, let alone owned.
Electric seats with heaters (like I need heaters in my seats), 2 position memory for the driver's seat. (Handy for when Milka picks folks up at the airport and leave the Lexus seat so pinned to the dash, that I can't get my legs in), cruise control with steering wheel controls, (The sound system has controls there too)

IMG_2900.jpg

a sun roof that not only slides open, but it can just raise it's rear portion in the closed position, to cause/improve air circulation, some type of electric interior rear view mirror, (I haven't figured out how that works, yet) an anti theft system which includes a remote shut down system, (By satellite maybe? Might not even work in this country) a 160 MPH speedometer, (26o km per hour) and I have little doubt that it could go those speeds. (But certainly not in this country, unless I get a death wish)
It has three tiny buttons, marked with 1 dot, 2 dots and 3 dots ( . .. ... ) right next to the front map lights, near the interior rear view mirror and I have no clue what they do, other than flash a tiny witness light when I touch them.(Built in programmable remote control garage door opener???)

I know, I know.... Small things amuse small minds...
What can I say?
I'm a happy camper.
dance1.gif

Aug 21, 2007
Big boys, big toys!

Have fun, Rocky, and keep your eye out for those cows that happen in the road!

Lindsey

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Marco,

I could solve your ?high tech? dilemma, simply loan it to me, I can drive anything into the ditch!!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Congrats on ur new car!!!

Sounds like lots of fun!!!

I would be entertained by most of that stuff too....!! lol

Enjoy....

And to everyone on the streets in Sosua...watch out!!!! ;)

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The diffference between men & boys is the price of their toys..Marco,enjoy your playtime!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It sounds like we need to go shopping in Puerto Plata soon!

Good luck with the new wheels!

tambo'

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It has three tiny buttons, marked with 1 dot, 2 dots and 3 dots ( . .. ... ) right next to the front map lights, near the interior rear view mirror and I have no clue what they do, other than flash a tiny witness light when I touch them.(Built in programmable remote control garage door opener???)

That's your ANAD (Advance Notice AMET Detector) one dot for one AMET, two dots for two AMET.............:)

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Does it talk.....

I vote we change your name from Rocky to "Hot Wheels"!:D

We could call him "Knight Rider" - he had a car with all the fangle dangle things on it and it spoke to him as well .....

Oh Rocky - You really are the best........

:laugh:

Rio

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That's your ANAD (Advance Notice AMET Detector) one dot for one AMET, two dots for two AMET.............:)
Does it shoot out rockets, or maybe laser beams?
Can't wait to try it out.
If the 3 dot one can eradicate motoconchos, then I will be in heaven and you just won't see me anymore at Rocky's, as I will be driving around 24/7, "cleaning up".

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Does it shoot out rockets, or maybe laser beams?
Can't wait to try it out.
If the 3 dot one can eradicate motoconchos, then I will be in heaven and you just won't see me anymore at Rocky's, as I will be driving around 24/7, "cleaning up".

And giving lifts to people who can't find a concho! :cheeky:

Rio

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I saw the car from outside, parked in front of rocky's. Great baja panty. I love acuras.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
I just saw an "S" TL last week for the first time. It is supposed to be more of a performance model...but what does it bring???

more HP only or other stuff??

Girl at work parks next to me every day has a burgandy model but not the "s" version, dont know how, but that thing is NEVER dirty..looks great

if the GPS works i bet the anti theft unit works

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I just saw an "S" TL last week for the first time. It is supposed to be more of a performance model...but what does it bring???

more HP only or other stuff??

Girl at work parks next to me every day has a burgandy model but not the "s" version, dont know how, but that thing is NEVER dirty..looks great

if the GPS works i bet the anti theft unit works

bob
It has 35 more horsepower, along with a few handling changes, leaning to the sporty side.
I don't think that the DR is mapped for proper GPS usage, is it?
Does anyone know?
I think that all it can do is tell you where you are by latitude and longitude, but I'm just guessing.
PS: I'll probably keep it washed and shiny for the first month or two, and then I stop caring.
As long as it's clean inside and gives me that "super ride", I'm not too uptight about it's exterior shine.

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
$10.000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyaBye3015
Rick,

Did you get the $10,000 I sent you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I picked it up for him.

:angry: So this is what you did with my $10,000 you got from the Sosua Post Office that Joe sent to me.