Living In Consuelo???

krissy4111

Apr 24, 2008
Hi....I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who lives in consuelo, and can give me some info. I am thinking about going there to visit a friend and just want to know if there are any dangers i should know about.I am a 26 year old female travelling alone.My friend is a guy who lives in consuelo in the barrio for the teachers.I really want to go visit him but my family is very scared for me.They keep telling me how he just might be trying to get me down their to use me for prostitution.I really dont believe this but i would appreciate any input from anyone.I just basically want to know if its safe or maybe if you live their you might know my friend and can put my family at ease.......anything is greatly appreciated

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have been there. It is a very typical Dominican town about 20 minutes North of San Pedro de Macoris. No more dangerous than anywhere else and no doubt safer than some barrios in the big cities. Where did you meet your "friend"? Your family doesn't have a clue, but that doesn't mean he isn't planning on taking advantage of you in other ways. Check out the sankie forum.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
(I am assuming that you refer to the town of Consuelo near San Pedro de Macoris, and not to the "Villa Consuelo" section in Santo Domingo) If it is "Villa Consuelo" in Santo Domingo, tell your friend to meet you somewhere else, don't go there - it's not safe for a gringa in the daytime, nor for anyone in the nighttime.

Ingenio Consuelo is a old sugar mill town, and dirt poor. It's a wide spot in the road on the way to La Romana and Higuey and Punta Cana. Due to the lack of many job opportunities, many folks work either in San Pedro de Macoris, or at one of the All-inclusive resorts between San Pedro and Juan Dolio.

Tell us if he works in a resort on the south coast. If so, it's quite possible you are getting SANKIFIED.

Last edited:

playa2

Apr 15, 2008
also going to Consuelo

I am also heading to Consuelo - in September. I will be working at 3 of the schools in the area with another teacher from Canada who is employed there. I will be living with a family while I am there for a few months, and I am not really sure what to expect!

From what I have been told, Consuelo is not a very happening place, but that there is (relatively) easy bus access to other nearby towns, such as San Pedro, etc. Of course, I don't have any first-hand experience yet, so some of the other people on here can probably give you better information. I would also really appreciate any kind of insight as to what I can expect when living there!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The big social events in Consuelo are sports. Not only baseball, but also basketball. I went to a basketball double-header in the local arena with company sponsored teams of local players who appeared to be between 16 and 25. Over 1000 in attendance and a wild atmosphere similar to a Dominican baseball crowd, and although the level of play was not great it was a lot of fun. There are also a couple of small discos where you can drink and dance. One of them is actually quite nice. San Pedro and Juan Dolio are not far for more variety.

Last edited:

krissy4111

Apr 24, 2008
So do you think it is safe for me? do you know anyone i could talk to who lives in the barrio for the teachers?

krissy4111

Apr 24, 2008
do you think i might be able to talk to your friend who is the teacher their...i would greatly appreciate it...It is very important to me...You can give the person my email address...snotface_russell@hotmail.com...please...thank you soooo much...I just have some questions about consuelo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Krissy, I go to Consuelo fairly often as my stepson is at baseball school there. I am going to pm you my phone number and email so you can get in touch and I will give you as much information as I can. Up to you if you contact me, but you may find it useful.

Matilda

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Matilda has offered to help answer some of your questions so please do get in touch with her as she lives in the DR.

Good luck

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Reputation as safe

Consuelo has a reputation as location where many retired and active military officials live. Also many ex police - very safe. (Some police can be worse than tigres with their sense of entitlement but not in Consuelo)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I had heard the same thing as golfer, and quite possibly from the same source.;) That is probably as close as you are going to get to an endorsement, but I get the impression that if we told you the place was more dangerous than Sadr city in Baghdad, you would go anyway. On the other hand, if we tell you it's the safest place on earth and then the least thing out of the way happens we set ourselves up to be blamed for not warning you.

It is highly likely that the most dangerous thing you will encounter in Consuelo is the person you are going there to see. Not in the way your family is saying, but in the way many here have suggested. Go ahead if you must, but don't say you weren't warned, and guard your heart and your pocketbook!

hope1

May 5, 2007
Hi Krissy4111
I have some friends who live in the teacher's barrio in Consuelo
Who is your friend?
If your friend is a teacher I might know them?
I have been to Consuelo many times, there really isn't any hotel to stay in
You really need to stay with a family or stay at a resort or a hotel in Juan Dolio
I have rented a house there a group of 8 to 10 people but not just for one person
I live in Ottawa
Let me know if there is some way I can help