I want to take my dog to USA.

PHH

Aug 18, 2004
Can someone explain to me the process necessary to take dog to USA?
Thank You

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Pretty Standard:

Health Certificate within 10 Days of Transport, current Rabies shot and standard vaccinations, and registered microchip. Also, keep in mind that some Airlines will not accept pets as cargo and or additional baggage within the summer months or when the temp. outside in the Tarmack exceeds about 80 Deg F. If your pet is small enough and can fit in a Sherpa Bag (less than 12 lbs), you might be able to take him/her with you onboard and only pay about 150.00 versus the 500.00 - 1000.00 as CARGO.

Good Luck. I've travelled from the U.S. To Asia, then to South America with my dogs. One as Cargo and one in the Cabin..

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
If you take your small dog in the cabin the price is US$93. It is higher in cargo. You can pay in US dollars or a higher conversion rate than a bank if you want to pay in pesos. Before you check in you go to customs and show them the certificate you got from your vet that the dog had rabies shot. You get the the certificate 10 or less days before you fly. The rabies shot can not be less than 30 days before you fly or more than a year. The dog does not have to have a chip to go to the US. Some counties in Europe may require this so check it out on the internet. Customs charges you 300 pesos and gives you a certificate. You then go to the airlines to check in and show them the certificate. Very important when you make your reservation you make the dog's. Depending on the airline the # of dogs in cabin can vary from 1 to more first come first served. From the US to the DR you need a certificate. Everything I said is the same except the dog in cabin is US$80. You do not need a visa for the dog, but get a locator # from the airline and cross reference it to your locator #.

Adam

PHH

Aug 18, 2004
Adam

Thanks for the accurate information. That is what I have found on my own to be true. So you confirm it. My dog is a cocker spaniel and not able to take in cabin. But understand I can check him in cargo. Is that your understanding?

Thanks Again.

Aug 21, 2007
You can check the dog in cargo as long as the summer travel embargo for animals is not in effect. The last I knew, the embargo began on May 15 and ran through September.

Check when you make the reservation. Be sure to ask.

One time I traveled here to the DR, had a reservation both ways for my dog, but when I tried to check in to go back to the US, I was told the embargo was in effect and the dog could not travel. Luckily, he is small enough to fit under the seat in the cabin, and with some scrambling, a friend was able to quickly get me a Sherpa carrier.

Good luck.

Lindsey

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Would my dog need to be quarantined when we arrive in the US or can I take her on home?
Thanks-

Aug 21, 2007
Would my dog need to be quarantined when we arrive in the US or can I take her on home?
Thanks-

No, there is no quarantine. At customs, they will direct you to a second checkpoint where the shot records will be examined. Sometimes they have me take the dog out of his carrier, sometimes, not. It is very quick and simple.

If you are catching a connecting flight and the dog is traveling in cargo, then you proceed to the transit desk to have the pet rechecked. The large airports have a special area for animals traveling in cargo. Someone will personally come and get your dog and take him/her where she needs to go.

I usually wait with my dog until he is picked up. Then I know someone is insuring that he makes his next flight.

Lindsey

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
For Europe the dog has to be tested for the antidote for rabies by a recognised institution and the shots have to be up to date no older than 1 year and at least given 1 month befor departure

Greetings

Johan

Aug 21, 2007
For Europe the dog has to be tested for the antidote for rabies by a recognised institution and the shots have to be up to date no older than 1 year and at least given 1 month befor departure

Greetings

Johan

This is correct, but the OP was asking specifically about the US. It is my understanding that the UK does quarantine. I think I was told the quarantine is for six months! Perhaps someone from UK can confirm or refute this and explain their required procedures.

Lindsey

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
This is correct, but the OP was asking specifically about the US. It is my understanding that the UK does quarantine. I think I was told the quarantine is for six months! Perhaps someone from UK can confirm or refute this and explain their required procedures.

Lindsey

Do a search for "petpasported". I think (99.9% sure) that the requirements for inporting a dog in europe and the UK are similar the quarantine is when the dog isn't petpasported

Greetings

Johan