Good news for foreigners who want to work in the DR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I assume that percentage is mainly Haitian.

Haha, good one. I too suspect the numbers they presented - but just in case you really didn't read it, they were referencing professional positions and stating a lot of the Dominicans were giving fringe benefits to the foreigners as well.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ok guys(gals really :) ), you have made your point.

However, I never really believed this number but thought there might be some validity to at least a significant percentage and was hoping some people who had more experience would opine and maybe be helpful for people who would like to come to the DR to work.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
According to a recent news report, 92% of Dominican businesses(non specific) contract foreigners to work in the DR for them. Maybe it would be nice for someone to create a database of such businesses here in the DR.

El Dinero - El 92% de las organizaciones contrata personal extranjero

Not wishing to play devils advocate, but in Chips defense, I think the article is missing the very important words of "92% of the organizations interviewed employ expatriates". If they were interviewing some of the larger organisations in the DR, the figures would probably be correct, but they have not given an indication of the number of businesses they surveyed (gotta love statistics!).

You also need to remember that there are children of Dominican parents who were born overseas that would be classified as expatriate for the purposes of the study. From my limited experiences here, many Dominicans born overseas come to the DR once their education is complete to work and spend time with their extended family.

I am here as an expat filling a senior management role for a foreign owned company. The company I work for would prefer not to have to pay the high price for expats, but the business is as such that we need to ensure that the interests of our overseas shareholders are managed effectively, something that can be a little difficult when you don't know the 'lay of the land'.

There is also a massive skills shortage here in the industry that I work (sorry, I'm not at liberty to disclose details) so we will have to bring in an expat management team next year. If we could employ locally, we would and we are exploring every avenue available to us.

Getting back to the article, although it is poorly written and seems to miss some important details, it could in fact hold some merit.

Chip, thanks for sharing the article.