Private forum for "respectable" dominicans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hi Robert et al,

Any chance we could get a invite-only forum for so called 'respectable' dominicans? :)

I'm tired of seeing guys who have no comprehension of this country trashing thread after thread. This could be a really useful place for locals to discuss things without having to constantly explain why one doesn't go to Pasion to see a bachata band.

I think you'd start to see a different, higher value segment of posters start to show up, who may in turn attract high value advertisers.

Adrian

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I would love to hear from Dominicans that live in the DR. but according to the poll we only have 13% here on DR1.

I've chatted recently with two Dominicans living in the DR, ExtremeR and theforceinme.

Click on their names and you'll see that they don't need to bash anyone to get their point across so they must be respectable Dominicans. ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AdrianB, advertising doesn't work like that in the DR, I wish it did.

Maybe not for respectable Dominicans, but maybe one that is accessible to those that have a certain amount of posts or invite only. Any ideas on how this might work in regards to membership level etc?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I mean "respectable" by joking as I think you know. :)

You could do it via:
- annual fee, bundle in the news archive
- invite only

or a combination of both. It might lend to some exclusivity as well. Webmasterworld has built a solid revenue model around this.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok I'm testing one out. Question is if I don't invite the boss can he still read what is posted ? :laugh:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I mean "respectable" by joking as I think you know. :)

You could do it via:
- annual fee, bundle in the news archive
- invite only

or a combination of both. It might lend to some exclusivity as well. Webmasterworld has built a solid revenue model around this.

Food for thought....

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
It might also be a place where occaisional high level guys from the DR could be invited in for Q&A threads. They might normally be scared off by the every day tourist postings, but feel more comfortable in a locals section. This may also deepen your contacts within the DR community, leading to other opportunities for DR1.

Of course it could be a total failure too, and we both know there's only one way to find out. :)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
But you never know! You may already be posting with one of them and not notice about it...

It all comes down to the fact that few will open to cross examination by many that, even in their own countries, never came to touch shoulders with the kind of people you want to invite here...

The general idea is that many of them already make the rounds in DR1 to "feel' the newcomers that soon could be called the next door "Joe" to them...

The only thing that separates both still to this day is the fact that most expats here settled in the coasts of the DR... The people you want to "know" don't live there...

I'll let you in to a well kept secret: The "invitees" reside in the second capital of the DR and that's why it will never look like SD or PC and all the other "non-traditional" Dominican abodes... We love our culture and traditions too much...

The next time you pass a good horse with a long sleeved chacabana rider, stop and say Hi!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But you never know! You may already be posting with one of them and not notice about it...

It all comes down to the fact that few will open to cross examination by many that, even in their own countries, never came to touch shoulders with the kind of people you want to invite here...

The general idea is that many of them already make the rounds in DR1 to "feel' the newcomers that soon could be called the next door "Joe" to them...

The only thing that separates both still to this day is the fact that most expats here settled in the coasts of the DR... The people you want to "know" don't live there...

I'll let you in to a well kept secret: The "invitees" reside in the second capital of the DR and that's why it will never look like SD or PC and all the other "non-traditional" Dominican abodes... We love our culture and traditions too much...

The next time you pass a good horse with a long sleeved chacabana rider, stop and say Hi!
Very fine answer.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It would take a while to get the word out to "repectable Dominicans" that DR1 would be a good thing for them.
So far this thread has 15 responses and from what I see only one Dominican responded and he does not live in the DR.
Perhaps the business section could have a sub-section named networking. Networking is very important in the DR.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I would be very interested to hear/read and learn what Dominicans that live in the Dominican Republic have to say. No holds barred.

Living in the D.R. as a guest, "Gringo" Ringo

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2006
No...don't close...

It's chock full of innuendo and spite...but there's some really significant questions in there. Can anyone enlighten us further?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What amazes me is the effort some folks make in defining who is respectable (a 24/7 DR-living Dominican) and who isn't.

Was not TJ a respectable American while living in France? How 'bout ol' Ben F.? Did Hemingway's writings degrade while in Europe or Cuba? GGM's stay in Mexico? Pablo Casals in PR? Becken? Cuco Valoy? F. Scott Fitzgerald?
And what about seasonal Dominican sport figures? Do they regain respectability once MLB season ends, only to falter once spring training begins? What a cycle!

Some of you have just moved to the DR in recent years (months, as in cobra's case). However, the stuff we read in these here pages are chock-full of contradictions: one "esteemed" Santiaguero (by way of Islamabad) brags about his knowledge of slang, thus his superiority in DR culture, while ignoring the fact that his biggest booster and protector knows even less than those he disparages. But that's not a big deal. Here's the real deal:

Do you folks really ask yourselves those questions: Who is and who isn't a respectable Dominican? Do you think the mere fact of living anywhere makes you a cultural authority?

Here, I'll keep it simple:

Will Pib cease to be respectable if she moved to Europe? And what about the great mondongo, will HE ever be considered respectable while residing in Mass? Then you have Mr. Lu, who was born and raised and educated in the US. Did he attain respectability ONLY after moving to the DR? Was he relegated to Dom-Yorkness status (as if that was a bad thing) before moving? How does that work? The hotel manager who gave you a discount in Bayahibe, is he respectable? But he was deported in '99. Does it change your opinion? The lawyer who helped you with your papers in SD, was he such a nice guy even after switching sides to go with the money in a real estate dispute in PC?

Amazingly, most Dominicans in the DR--no matter what you read here--do not obsess about these things. "You don't live here, so you don't know." OK, I don't live there. What's the point? Have you found such a well-kept secret regarding the DR that no one, NO ONE but you is privy to?

Could it be something deeper than your ex-pat $tatu$? Can a Haitian in the DR have similar opinions? Or is it just you? I mean, they have been there longer than you. So, by your logic, Haitians and Cocolos and everyone else before you should have final say. Right? Yes, this "ability" to dictate may be deeply ingrained in you. And that's a chapter waiting to be written.

There's no room for anecdote (Ni dizque "I know this Haitian who owns a Benz," ni que ocho cuarto). "But a Dominican gave me a fridge, so he's respectable..."

No. No. No. We ain't that dumb, folks. Give us Dominicans a break: Be respectable ex-pats. Do as Lambada and GWB do: live and learn and love. Some of us Dominicans have learned from them. Why don't you?

"Thread closed."
I understand, respect and accept your disdain.
Even the title makes me puke.
Please do bear in mind that AdrianB, the OP of this thread, has but good intent and shares your disdain, as do I.
He is trying to do something about it, and I think he may be onto something.
We all have a lot to learn from each other, both "respectable" gringos and "respectable" Dominicans and the non respectable ones of both groups can all just go play in the mud, or whatever it is that they do.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
?

Then you have Mr. Lu, who was born and raised and educated in the US.

"Thread closed."

I was born in the greatest city on the planet!!! If you don't know, you better ask somebody!!! :cheeky:

In all this whole respectability debate has been sad. Think about how and when this all began. People have been arguing "respectability" for a week or more on three different threads! And it all started because a poster posted a simple video of his vacation?

I've tried to stay out of it (rarely posting) and have only posted here since my name, though I don't understand why mine, was mentioned in the above post.

I would ask that all you "respected" and "respectable" (there is a difference) posters on this board please not add fuel to the fire. Your commentary and insight could be better served in other threads and forums.

With all due respect,

Mr. Lu

I hope it works this time: fingers crossed....

Closed.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mr. Lu

I hope it works this time: fingers crossed....

Closed.
I must be stupid, or just missing something, as you guys so vehemently want this thread closed.
Is this not the topic here?
(AdrianB's OP)
Any chance we could get a invite-only forum for so called 'respectable' dominicans? :)

I'm tired of seeing guys who have no comprehension of this country trashing thread after thread. This could be a really useful place for locals to discuss things without having to constantly explain why one doesn't go to Pasion to see a bachata band.

I think you'd start to see a different, higher value segment of posters start to show up,
Is there something wrong/racist/denigrating or whatever in his suggestion?
I'm all ears. As I said before, I'm not all that bright at times and I may be missing something, but as I understand it right now, Adrian is trying to resolve a problem and better "the system".

Status
Not open for further replies.