Taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Good Afternoon All,

I'm trying to research the pricing of Taxi licenses. I'm looking for the ball park figures of cost and payments. I realize that you're restricted by the type of license you have. IE: one license will allow you to pick up/drop off in certain areas but not in others. Some allow you to enter the AI complexes while others restrict you to pick up on the streets only. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some insurance info also would be nice. Please PM me or post here, what ever works for you!
Thanks A Million!

p.s. this would be for the Puerto Plata area and there is already a vehicle waiting to be used.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is off the top of my pointy head, so don't take it as gospel.

there are syndicates that dictate who does or does not work inside Playa Dorada (or RIU, etc).
You have to become a member of the syndicate. Not too expensive, if done by a Dominican.

As for regular taxis, you join one of the companies by paying a weekly fee to the owner of the radio that tells you where to pick up fares....something like that.

There are also some special license plates, that I "think' are from the OTTT that identifies the vehicle as a tourist vehicle, but you'd have to ask around for that...

Let's see how far off base I am on this one...

HB

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
My goodness! Thanks very much for the speedy reply. I'll see what I can find in addition to this info. Thanks again!
:+)

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Do you know if "OTTT" has a web site I can check out???? I found it's phone listing but would like to check out their web page..if they have one.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Ask to a few taxi drivers, I am sure they will give you a good info to start with...

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
there are syndicates that dictate who does or does not work inside Playa Dorada (or RIU, etc).
You have to become a member of the syndicate. Not too expensive, if done by a Dominican.
HB
I just spoke to a good friend of mine who is a Playa Dorada taxi driver and he told me his licence is going for 750,000-800,000 pesos now.
He paid 65,000 in 1994.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I was "guessimating" approx 500,000 peso so I wasn't too far off. I'm sure there are cheaper licenses out there, they just won't be valid for hotel pickups and drop offs. I'll have a chat with some of the people I know. I'm sure someone must know someone who can help get this ball rolling!
Have a great day all!
:+)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I just spoke to a good friend of mine who is a Playa Dorada taxi driver and he told me his licence is going for 750,000-800,000 pesos now.
He paid 65,000 in 1994.

does this mean it is 750,000-800,000 to buy the licence to be apart of the playa dorada taxi group.

do these drivers still have to pay a weekly fee or do they operate differently?

that figure really shocked me as being really high....

learning something new today...
sangria

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
As I understand the process. The fee of 750,000 and up allows you a vast area to service...IE: playa dorada, street(city) pickups/drop offs and Metro pickups/dropoffs. I believe that is good for the airports as well and I think Cofresi as well. Not sure about the fees on top of this sum of $$. I'm still checking into things but I'll keep this thread updated if I find any more relevant info.
Like I said earlier....I know there are cheaper licenses but then your service area is smaller. I guess it just depends on what you're after. I think it's more prudent to start small and work your way up as your business grows....just my opinion.
Have a good day all!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
please do update as you learn...im not looking to become a driver but i do find the process very interesting and would love to hear more

Status
Not open for further replies.