divorcing dominican man

P11CAT

Mar 19, 2007
i have been married to a dr man for 9 months but now want a divorce, he is living in dr and i am in the uk. he is refusing to have a divorce so the dr quick divorce is of no use to me what other options do i have please?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
"For the divorce to be legal, at least one of the spouses needs to come down to the Dominican Republic to appear before the Court. There is no such thing as a “mail-order” divorce in which neither spouse has to appear in court. 'Unilateral' divorces are also invalid since both spouses must agree to the divorce."

DR1 & Guzman - Divorce

Unilateral divorces are possible. They are more expensive and take longer, though.

P11CAT

Mar 19, 2007
he will not benefit at all as i have no assets in the DR. you seem to have nothing better to do than scorn people wha a sad life you must lead!!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
he will not benefit at all as i have no assets in the DR. you seem to have nothing better to do than scorn people wha a sad life you must lead!!!!!

You are living in the UK so I would check with your laws there on how to divorce a spouse that isn't living with you.

I know in Canada we can do that under certain circumstances so I would check with your laws at home.

BTW don't pay any attention to posts that are of no help to you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
P11CAT just a thought. Did you register the marriage in the UK with Somerset house? I am Englsih and married to a Dominican but I have never bothered registering the marriage in the UK. Therefore under UK law there is no record of the marriage, hence I think I could remarry in the UK without divorcing in the DR - (not that I would tee hee).

Might be worth checking anyway with a UK lawyer. Obviously you couldn't remarry another Dominican but then I doubt you would want to.

Matilda

P11CAT

Mar 19, 2007
the marriage was certified in the dr but no did not register with somerset house did not realize i had to will have to look into this thanks.

I am at present awaiting advice from 2 law firms in the dr, from what i can gather in the uk it will take too long was hoping for a quick divorce but maybe i will not need to.

Thank you all for your support to skippy "what ever!!!"

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Go to your local office of births, marriages and deaths. Normally at the town hall and check with them there. I know if you are British and want the marriage legally recognised in UK you have to have your in extensa marriage certificate translated and then you take it to the British Embassy here or your local BMD office in the uk for official registration. Maybe they can help you out. Most have pretty good web sites too.

Good luck and sorry it didn't work out

Matilda

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I think...........

...........there is some kind of "2 year" rule before you can get a divorce if one of the parties is Dominican.............to get a divorce in the DR

.........you might want to check that out...............