Shipping electronics to DR

jp823

Jan 15, 2008
I have purchased a home in Punta Cana. I have hired a decorator who will take care of most of the furniture. My husband is very sure of the Electronics TV's, DVD players etc that he wants. If they cannot be located in DR would it be wise to ship them via a shipping company? Can you recommend and reputable electronics dealers in the DR? Muchas Gracias ;)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have purchased a home in Punta Cana. I have hired a decorator who will take care of most of the furniture. My husband is very sure of the Electronics TV's, DVD players etc that he wants. If they cannot be located in DR would it be wise to ship them via a shipping company? Can you recommend and reputable electronics dealers in the DR? Muchas Gracias ;)

You'll end up paying the same and having no warranty on any of the electronics in the DR...

Even when many electronics are priced higher than their US counterparts (UK too), they tend to have warranty support from the local suppliers that may come in handy in the long run...

If you opt to buy and ship to the DR, many expats here in DR1 can offer you their best recommendations and past experience with the shippers themselves here in the DR...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Weigh your options

Shipping electronics from the U.S. may be OK and there is a risk of damage in transit that may not be covered by warranty. You would have to purchase additional insurance for the transit to effect proper coverage

You need to be aware in that most cases the warranties for the electronics will not be be recognized in the D.R. Units manufactured for U.S. or like service may not be compatable for use in the D.R. in regard to electric surge surpression. Also, the high humidity and salty air of the Punta Cana zone can trash an electronic unit faster than a two year old on holiday. Replacement parts for U.S. service units in some instances may be hard to come by; especially, if it is for a brand not marketed on the island and then will have to be imported at high cost. Although there are cheap labor costs in the D.R., when a unit is damaged it may be easier to purchase a new unit than to repair.

One needs to weigh all their options before taking the leap.

Good luck and Regards,
PJT

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
I have imported most of my electronics. The warranty was an issue for me so I decided to keep all my hardware to a "portable" size in case it had to be taken back to the US for repair. For example, instead of a desktop PC I got a laptop, instead of a flat screen TV I got a HD projector, sound systems are small nowadays.
So far, everything is still running. Electronics bought here in DR would have died long ago and dealing with the vendors for warranty repairs would have killed ME!

Hasta