La Casona Dorada Hotel...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
1) Side entrance to the hotel.

35b9pgn.jpg

2) Entrance/parking lot. Straight ahead is the reception office.

a2y7t2.jpg

3) The pool from the second floor.

29m54s9.jpg

4) Second floor balcony, overlooking entrance.

334kwpj.jpg

5) Second floor outdoor lobby leading to rooms.

21npcow.jpg

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
1) Second floor outdoor lobby with art for sale.

2ezitxs.jpg

efzx5.jpg

2)Pool.

2h3re5s.jpg

3) Hallway leading to habitaciones.

ylz61.jpg

4) Colmado across street from hotel.

4zt9ba.jpg

5) Side entrance, Avenida Independencia.

21d0wpg.jpg

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
1) Across the street on Avenida Independencia-not up on dominican politics, but it doesn't seem as if these people want me around...

25hdclw.jpg

2)Corner of Independencia.

ip311g.jpg

Stairway to the hotel pool.

ziu2d4.jpg

To sum up, this is my favorite small hotel of choice in the capital. I will take pics of the rooms next time, but they are very nice. Some are small, and of course always good to get a room away from all the noise which begins early in the morning on Avenida Independencia.

In the pic of the hallway, the room straight down the end of the hallway is the nicest one of the lot. It is huge and has a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. 65 or 70 US a night for that particular room, but I always get a discount as I stay there often. Only problem is it faces the main street, so very noisy in the morning.

310 Avenida Independencia is the address, very close to the Zona Colonial(just a few blocks away after passing the Clinica Abreu and the cemetery.

Nice staff, safe, great location, great rooms. Can't ask for more and I recommend it highly.

Last edited:

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I usually stay in the area in Gazcue and have wondered what the price range of this place was. It's looks a little classier than the other small hotels in Gazcue around Danae.

I have drank many beers at that colmadon...;)

Thanks for sharing

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To the moderator of this section-I again flubbed the photo posting process, and the images are way too big. So if there is a way I can repost them in the right size without losing the written content, let me know. I don't think people can enjoy the images as they are.

Berzin the pain in the a$$ :cheeky:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
BERZIN EL BRUTO strikes again! hey my browser automatically adjusts the pics to fit my screen size so i am fine! but i get your point! LOL
I am going to check this place out upon my return....shall i tell them EL BRUTO sent me? think they'll pass along the discount? LOL

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
BERZIN EL BRUTO strikes again! hey my browser automatically adjusts the pics to fit my screen size so i am fine! but i get your point! LOL
I am going to check this place out upon my return....shall i tell them EL BRUTO sent me? think they'll pass along the discount? LOL

I wouldn't mention me...at all...:cheeky: Not only will you NOT get a discount, you may not even get a room!!!!!!

And if I told you why, I'd get that invitation to your BBQ rescinded.

Something about the jacuzzi in the bathroom(note: two medium-sized towels are NOT enough to soak up the water overflowing from one of these contraptions) and the two lamps(note:Crazy Glue isn't crazy enough to hold all those little pieces together once a lamp falls on the floor!!!;))

Berzin, Bruto Y Sin Verguenza!!!!!!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
should i take your last comment as a joke? :| por dios....now i am scared....sounds like a cabana to me...LOL, what gives?
BBQ is still a go my friend! LOL

Yes, of course I was kidding. I am very tranquillo wherever I go-I never cause a fuss. I'll be more than happy to give you the info and the names of the people you should contact.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
thanks bro, that will be VERY helpful. My next trip to DR later this year I hope to see more of the country, cities, and meet people. Always good to have contacts and referrals. I look forward to checking this hotel out!
FYI spent a WHOLE hour yesterday cleaning my grill. It is now OFFICIALLY ready for this summer's bash! looking forward to it! - J

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Thanks for the info. I usually stay at the Riazor but always on the lookout for something new or better.

Couple of questions:

How much is a regular room?

Do they include breakfast?

Cannot remember seeing this place, is it on the same side of Independencia as the cemetry (south side)?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I believe the prices are according to the size of the room, but then again I have been charged the same rate for their (MUCH) bigger room because of who was at the front desk.

And breakfast was included, but in typical style every time I showed up I was either too early or too late-they would tell me anything to not get me my breakfast.

One time the guy cheerfully told me they were out of breakfasts completely, then handed me a breakfast menu that I had to pay for.:cheeky:

This would qualify as one of those things not worth fighting over. If you check in tell them you do not want breakfast included on your bill, free or not.

There is a very busy restaurant right across the street on the corner of Independencia on the same side as the Hotel Duque De Wellington going north. You can eat there if you don't want to wander off too far to begin your day.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

Have you stayed at the Riazor? Curious how the two compare, seems the price is similar.

I agree the breakfast is not a big deal but it seems to be included with most of these small hotels in this area. Last time I stayed at the Riazor they did not offer breakfast until I asked then only one for two of us!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Forgot to mention, Snoozer-the hotel is on the north side of Independencia a couple of blocks up from the cemetery and Clinica Abreu.

And they also have a bar that doesn't get too crowded-mostly just patrons from the hotel. The women who work there are very, very nice people especially the head bartender.

You can also sit poolside and have your drinks served to you from the bar through a little slot in the wall.

The room I usually stay in has the jacuzzi but no fridge. The smaller rooms I believe have mini-fridges.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
Thanks for the lovely pictures. I have to second the recomendation. The food thing is very hit or miss there though--you definitely have that right. I had dinner there one night and they had to make a run for propane in the middle of cooking. I just had a few more cocktails while they all came back to get another truck beacuse of flat tire on the truck what was driving the propane back to the chef to finish cooking dinner--it was funny really.

I just adore Guzcue (sp?), you can just walk anywhere really form here. The pool was so great and a perfect place to relax, they have a little open "gym" with free weights on the second floor up above the pool too. You can work out in the open air !

I had such a fantastic time there and didn't have picture. Your posting is much appreciated.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey quick question regarding this hotel. do you think it is fully booked on a weekend? I plan on going into la capital but not sure when and dont want to make a reservation. maybe i can walk in and just find availibility? I hope so....they are ok with email but I dont want to commit and not show up.....i like this hotel and do plan on staying! :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Nice pics Berzin. Nice to know of a small hotel with a pool. Would you know the cross street with Independencia the hotel is on? My favorite has been Jaguar Apart Hotel but this one looks really nice.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Nice pics Berzin. Nice to know of a small hotel with a pool. Would you know the cross street with Independencia the hotel is on? My favorite has been Jaguar Apart Hotel but this one looks really nice.

Sorry-don't know the cross street.

As for jalencastros' question, you are better off calling the morning you plan to go to see about availability. I would not make reservations if you are not sure you will be able to make it.

I really don't think during the time you are going that getting a room will be a problem, but if you are in Santo Domingo there are a few places you can stay that are nice if the Casona Dorada is booked.

There is also the Hotel Pe?alba at the end of Calle El Conde right across the street from the church. Its' a nice hotel with a restaurant on the first floor that has an outdoor area perfect for people watching while you have your meal.