Pleeze help me with a translation!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkip

Apr 25, 2008
Here is what I want to say
Hello
I am a second year Graduate student in anthropology at Rice university. I am in Santo Domingo for three months doing preliminary fieldwork on aesthetics and nationalism in the Dominican republic. I would like to request an appointment with Dr Raymundo Gonzalez, if possible, when he is availible. My research is in it's infancy and I would love an opportunity for advisement. I am availible anytime after 12pm

Awaiting your reply
Nichole Payne

Here is what I think I want to say in Spanish

Hola
Soy un segundo a?o de estudiantes de posgrado en antropolog?a en la Universidad de Rice. Estoy en Santo Domingo durante tres meses haciendo trabajo de campo preliminar en la est?tica y el nacionalismo en la Rep?blica Dominicana. Quisiera pedir una cita con el doctor Raymundo Gonz?lez, si es posible, cuando ?l es availible. Mi investigaci?n est? en su infancia y me encantar?a una oportunidad para asesor?a. Me availible en cualquier momento despu?s de 12 p.m.

En espera de su respuesta
Nichole Payne

is this proper letter protocol is this translated properly? it it very important thank you in advance!!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello
I am a second year Graduate student in anthropology at Rice university. I am in Santo Domingo for three months doing preliminary fieldwork on aesthetics and nationalism in the Dominican republic. I would like to request an appointment with Dr Raymundo Gonzalez, if possible, when he is availible. My research is in it's infancy and I would love an opportunity for advisement. I am availible anytime after 12pm

Awaiting your reply
Nichole Payne

Un cordial saludo!

Mi nombre es Nichole Payne, soy estudiante de segundo a?o de posgrado en antropolog?a de la Universidad de Rice. Me encuentro en Santo Domingo durante los pasados tres meses, haciendo trabajo de campo preliminar en la est?tica y el nacionalismo en la Rep?blica Dominicana. Desearia pedir una cita con el Doctor Raymundo Gonz?lez, si es posible, cuando ?l pueda estar disponible. Mi investigaci?n est? en su infancia y me encantar?a una oportunidad para su asesor?a. Estoy disponible en cualquier momento despu?s de las 12 p.m. al tel #555-5555.

Nichole Payne

is this proper letter protocol is this translated properly? it it very important thank you in advance!!!!!

Hope this helps a little bit too... Yu may want to add the contact # to reach you after 12:00 p.m.

Last edited:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
This looks a bit odd to me. She is in Santo Domingo during the past 3 months?

Me encuentro en Santo Domingo durante los pasados tres meses bolding mine

I *think* you forgot the accent in Desear?a.

No offense meant :)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This looks a bit odd to me. She is in Santo Domingo during the past 3 months?

I *think* you forgot the accent in Desear?a.

No offense meant :)

I don't place accents with my PC, is a pain in the neck to use the codes for the letter as I never memorize them! LOL!!!
But thanks to DR1's like you he'll get the needs to a final acceptable letter!

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Ah OK. I do the accents by pressing the ? and then the vowel and I've done so by setting my keyboard to US-International.

Oops, I thought he was a she. Sorry OP, good luck with your endeavors.

I don't place accents with my PC, is a pain in the neck to use the codes for the letter as I never memorize them! LOL!!!
But thanks to DR1's like you he'll get the needs to a final acceptable letter!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The problem here lies in the English version, which is poorly written. (no offense intended, but true)
As one can see, Pichardo assumed that the OP was saying that he/she had already been in Santo Domingo for the last 3 months.
I doubt this is the case.

Perhaps if we attack the English version first, then our resident expert translators could come up with good results.

Hello
Please allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Nichole Payne and I am a second year Graduate student in anthropology at Rice university. I am in Santo Domingo for the next three months doing preliminary fieldwork on aesthetics and nationalism in the Dominican republic. I would like to request an appointment with Dr Raymundo Gonzalez, at his convenience. My research is in it's infancy and I seek an opportunity for his advisement and counsel. I would be available any day after 12 noon

Awaiting your reply
Nichole Payne

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Finding ones self in Santo Domingo is acceptable (imo) as it uses the reflexive verb encontrarse.
I believe the name Nichole is femenine.
mkohn

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's see:
1) We have a grad student with language difficulties in English who
2) Wants an appointment with someone (name but not his post) to
3) Resolve issues related to aesthetics and nationalism in the DR at
4) A time of the petitioner's convenience?

Whoa!

Look kid, DR officials tend to work in the morning....so forget this "after 12:00" crap, okay?

Second, pay attention to what the translation says and write it as it is, yours was way too badly done...

Third, grad students are a dime a dozen, and they all "want" something, so go about this through networking. Get here, make your contacts, see who they know, and make your interview contact through personal relationships, not through some letter, which will probably be File 13'd anyway....Understand?

Yo! You translators, good job.
Yo! Pichardo man, set your "Language Preference" to US - International, then t he ?, ?, ? ?, ? are just two key strokes...I am with you on the codes, ugh!

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Ok! Let's see if this worked:

Nope! Can't figure this one out!!! I set English-International on the L settings already, no cigar!!!!

Just forget about it! Anything that gives me trouble gets cut out!!! LOL!!!

Care to tell me where is the accent key? Without the codes of course... That I already know (hate)...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think it might be that since I bought my laptop in the DR it has a "Spanish" keyboard...I have a ~ key and a ' key all handy for the ? and the ? stuff.. On my keyboard it is to the right of the semi-colon/colon key (little finger right hand), next to the Enter key.

Hijacked by,

HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This may come in handy

Alt key + Three digits <TABLE style="WIDTH: 630px" cols=3 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><TT>128 ? </TT>
<TT>129 ? </TT>
<TT>130 ? </TT>
<TT>131 ? </TT>
<TT>132 ? </TT>
<TT>133 ? </TT>
<TT>134 ?</TT>
<TT>135 ? </TT>
<TT>136 ? </TT>
<TT>137 ? </TT>
<TT>138 ? </TT>
<TT>139 ? </TT>
<TT>140 ?
</TT>
</TD><TD vAlign=top><TT>141 ? </TT>
<TT>142 ? </TT>
<TT>143 ? </TT>
<TT>144 ? </TT>
<TT>145 ? </TT>
<TT>146 ? </TT>
<TT>147 ? </TT>
<TT>148 ? </TT>
<TT>149 ? </TT>
<TT>150 ? </TT>

</TD><TD vAlign=top><TT>151 ? </TT>
<TT>152 ? </TT>
<TT>153 ? </TT>
<TT>154 ? </TT>
<TT>160 ? </TT>
<TT>161 ? </TT>
<TT>162 ? </TT>
<TT>163 ? </TT>
<TT>164 ? </TT>
<TT>165 ? </TT>
<TT>167 ? </TT>
<TT>168 ?</TT>
<TT>248 ?</TT>
<TT>250 ? (smaller bullet)</TT>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

nikkip

Apr 25, 2008
Thanks to all of you for your help! I certainly plan to go there and make connections but this was just a first step. Good tip about the morning too!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow.
I hadn't noticed how jumbled that copy and paste came out.
Let's try this again.
Hold "Alt" and type the 3 digit code.

Alt key + Three digits
128 ?
129 ?
130 ?
131 ?
132 ?
133 ?
134 ?
135 ?
136 ?
137 ?
138 ?
139 ?
140 ?
141 ?
142 ?
143 ?
144 ?
145 ?
146 ?
147 ?
148 ?
149 ?
150 ?
151 ?
152 ?
153 ?
154 ?
160 ?
161 ?
162 ?
163 ?
164 ?
165 ?
167 ?
168 ?
248 ?
250 ? (smaller bullet)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
<OT>

Rocky, Hillbilly and others:

Feel free to correct my English if I make mistakes. English is my second (soon to be third) language and that's how I learn.

</OT>

Carry on...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
<OT>

Rocky, Hillbilly and others:

Feel free to correct my English if I make mistakes. English is my second (soon to be third) language and that's how I learn.

</OT>

Carry on...
Will do, but bear in mind that my English is far from perfect, whereas HB is an actual professor.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I think it might be that since I bought my laptop in the DR it has a "Spanish" keyboard...I have a ~ key and a ' key all handy for the ? and the ? stuff.. On my keyboard it is to the right of the semi-colon/colon key (little finger right hand), next to the Enter key.

Hijacked by,

HB

Now! Don't go rubbing it in my nose that yours is so "Dominicanized"!!! LOL!!!

I'll stick to missing the accents! I'm not about to go Alt + ??? Again!!!
Pain in the neck!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hello

Awaiting your reply
Nichole Payne

Hola
Soy un segundo a?o de estudiantes de posgrado en antropolog?a en la Universidad de Rice. Estoy en Santo Domingo durante tres meses haciendo trabajo de campo preliminar en la est?tica y el nacionalismo en la Rep?blica Dominicana. Quisiera pedir una cita con el doctor Raymundo Gonz?lez, si es posible, cuando ?l es availible. Mi investigaci?n est? en su infancia y me encantar?a una oportunidad para asesor?a. Me availible en cualquier momento despu?s de 12 p.m.

Nichole Payne

Assuming that your Spanish isn't the most refined I recommend a much simpler request sent by email. Also, Hillbilly is right, don't put any time restrictions or you will be ignored. Furthermore, if your Spanish isn't up to par I would highly recommend doing the letter in English, otherwise you may be embarrassed during the meeting or will end up not learning anything.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Dear Dr Gonzalez,

As a graduate student at Rice University (Ranked #17 university in the USA by US News and World Report), I am proud to be doing research on aesthetics and nationalism in the Dominican Republic.

I have heard wonderful things about both your work and the work of your organization. Since I will be in Santo Domingo soon, I would love to spend a few minutes with you if you are available as it could make a major difference to my research.

I see this as a major opportunity for closer relations between our respective organizations and would welcome hearing your thoughts about how I might be of service to you in my university. It is very difficult to be accepted at Rice, but if I can be of assistance to you or those around you, it would be my pleasure.

I will follow up shortly by phone to see if we might schedule a time I could come by your office.

Warm regards,

Nichole Payne

Status
Not open for further replies.