Samana highway open 1 June

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Ministry of Public Works has announced the opening of the Samana highway to the general public on 1 June. Not sure if the toll collections will start that day. The highway reduces the time to get to Samana from 4 hours to 1.5 hour, considerably saving at a time when gasoline is so expensive.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
thanks for the heads up, where does this highway originate? better said, beginning and ending points...i figure Samana is the final destination, but where does it start?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
About 5 kms east of Santo Domingo city. On the way to Las Americas International Airport (think it is Km. 14). Highway ends in Samana province, about half an hour from Samana city.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow! only 5km east of the capital? thats crazy! i never noticed the construction....good stuff! i will be there later this year and perhaps headed that way then! :)

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
That's bull****!!! (I don't mean you Dolores, but their announcement)
I used that road last Thursday and there's no way that it'll be ready by that date.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Here's a very recent thread,
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/67853-current-status-samana-santo-domingo-highway.html#21

that would be nice....i would love to know exactly where east of santo domingo this highway will originate!
HERE

Mapa2.1.jpg

Nov2007.jpg

All the darkened communities below you can find on this map.

The project contemplates construction of the road Santo Domingo-Cruce Rinc6n de
Molinillos (between Nagua and Sanchez) with a total length of 106 km. This road
will connect the national district of Santo Domingo with the roadway that connects
Nagua, Sanchez and Samana, at the northeastern coast of the Dominican Republic..
The road starts at km 15 of the Autopista de Las Americas (highway number 3, on the South Coast, East of Santo Domingo and West of Boca Chica) heading north, ...After the crossing with the Mella (Highway number 4)roadway , the road turns northeast up to the crossing
with the roadway that links the town of Bayaguana to Monte Plata (approximately
seven km from Monte Plata) [roadway number 23), over clayey strips.
Then it crosses the roadway that links Monte Plata to Sanchez and it continues in the
northeastern direction until it converges with the existing cart road that links Sabana
Grande de Boya
with the sector known as Procad6n (dairy barns), the cart road has
an average width of five m with a junction length of approximately 12 km. In its
route it passes near the batey Sabanalarga, Gonzalo and Tarana, where the project
turns to the north.
In this sector of the Ozama River basin, the tributaries that stand out are the Cach6n
Stream, the Marucho Channel, the Yabacao River, Hundidero Stream, Palmilla
Stream, Socoa Stream, and Toro Prieto Stream.
Near the town of Sabana Grande de Boya and heading towards Majagual it crosses at
several points with the Sabana Grande de Boya - Majagual roadway passing near the
Batey Enriquillo, Juan Sanchez and Batey Nuevo, an area with karst limestone, and
inside the Aras River basin.
From Majagual the road follows the existing cart road (nine km) into Los Haitises
until it exits near the town of Guaraguao (Bajo Yuna), and it takes the route that links
Guaraguao with Rinc6n de Molinillos branching off three km before reaching this
crossing, going through La Mata del Aguacate (El Aguacate).
The area of Los Haitises constitutes a karst relief integrated by isolated domes of
very hard reef limestone, separated by depressions or drains filled with laterite
ground coming from neighboring residual origin.
This last stretch crosses the area of the Gran Esteroun the area of the Bajo Yuna
whose main characteristic is bad drainage due to the low slopes that are present in
the area, with a flood prairie conformed by fine sediments associated with lenses of
sandy slit, sands and fine gravel. The project meets the Yuna River at the town of
Reforma, between Villa Riva and El Lim6n.

npereyra

Jan 30, 2006
No way!!

I did take the road last week also and trust me, there is so much work to be done. I went through the Guerra town and came out on the new road and it took me 2 hours and 15 min to make it to the main road going to Samana.

ciao

Nely

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
These reports are confusing: some people I know who travel to Las Terrenas from the capital frequently have been using the new road and say it's OK.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
These reports are confusing: some people I know who travel to Las Terrenas from the capital frequently have been using the new road and say it's OK.
Oh you can totally use it! Like I said before, I went from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo last Thursday, but it is far from finished. Some areas are ready some are not even paved and there's an area where you cannot use it at all.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Originally Posted by Chirimoya

From a recent thread, ..

05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Berliner

Hi,

our friends have taken the new highway last week and it took them 2 hours until the end of the highway!!
Against the presumptions given before in this thread, this PPP seems not that bad. By the way such a general opinion about PPP is questionable but no futher discussion about that.
The highway seems to be built quickly, it is not paved all the way but bigger parts, the bridges are not all built so you have to leave and enter the highway several times depending also on current construction activities. It is necessary to be able to ask for the way as there are of course no signs. There is the possibility to get lost, but it seems worth to try it as it is a 2 hours time saving from the other roads, especially considering the way from San Francisco de Macoris to Samana.

Wishing you all a safe ride!

Berliner

05-10-2008, 07:26 AM
cobraboy

A Dominican friend took the road Thursday morning. 2 hrs., no problems at all, reported one desvio around bridge construction.

05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
jaguarbob

Current Status Samana-Santo Domingo Highway?

The guaguas to Las Terenas,and El Limon use part of this road every day,,,They do not take it from Las Americas highway,they link up with it north of the new airport in SD,Las Isabella,and it has cut the trip by 11/2 to 2 hours.

also,the road from el catey airport,just south of Sanchez,to las terrenas,is under construction,and when completed,will cut another 1/2 hour or so and a lousy 1 hour ride over the mountain from sanchez to las terrenas.
bob

Feb 7, 2007
That's bull****!!! (I don't mean you Dolores, but their announcement)
I used that road last Thursday and there's no way that it'll be ready by that date.

I used the road yesterday to go to Monte Plata. No way they can open it 1 june! There is still about 10 km unpaved area. There is also about 5 km hard soil area (no cement poured) which was very VERY muddy yesterday because of the rains. My car looked like it just came out of muddy safari.

Savana Grande de Boya onwards is fully paved.
Tramo 1 and about 2/3 of Tramo 2 are paved. Rest of tramo 2 is cemented soil. Tramo 3 is muddy (after rain) and gravel. 2nd 1/2 of Tramo 4 onwards, Tramo 5 and Tramo 6 are fully paved.

On 1 june, however, they open up traffic up till the 2nd toll booth (tramo 1 and tramo 2), and the toll will be 40 pesos.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
One more theory comes into mind. The road is getting lots of transit even if it is officially not opened yet and has a large portion still under construction. The owners may have decided to open the road up and charge the toll... the traffic is flowing anyway, regardless of ongoing construction, so they may have decided to just let the same go on, but charge the toll.... road officially opened.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
One more theory comes into mind. The road is getting lots of transit even if it is officially not opened yet and has a large portion still under construction. The owners may have decided to open the road up and charge the toll... the traffic is flowing anyway, regardless of ongoing construction, so they may have decided to just let the same go on, but charge the toll.... road officially opened.

That's precisely what's happening. It's not all bad though. I've been told that from Sunday on, they'll responsible for giving you assistance- including free towing if necessary - if you ever get stuck or if your car breaks down while driving on it.

SANTO DOMINGO.- The demand by motorists to use the new Santo Domingo-Saman? highway prompted its opening to the public as of next Sunday by its builders, who said the “few details” still lacking don’t hinder transit.

"They are small works of paving, the system of signs that are arriving, but this isn’t an inconvenience because the main thing is that the structure is concluded," said the engineer Arm?n Garcia, president of the company which has the highway’s 30-year concession. Still under construction is the bridge over the Yuna river, which was added to the span and whose completion is slated for the end of August.

He said that although not concluded, hundreds of vehicles use the road daily, causing inconveniences in the construction works.

The 106 kilometer-long road would save time and money for motorists who according to estimates, will save as much as 700 pesos on fuel in each trip, which will take around an hour-and-a-half, compared with the more than four hours it takes through San Francisco, of about 220 kilometers.

“An automobile will pay a 350-peso toll, but will save about 5.5 gallons of fuel, equal to 1,023 pesos, at gasoline’s current price. If you deduct the 350 pesos paid in toll, that person saves 673 pesos by using this road," Garcia said.

The highway’s three toll plazas are on the Las Americas interchange, and in the villages El Naranjal and Guaraguao, where for each section the toll is 650 pesos for buses; 350 for light vehicles; and 860 pesos for trucks.

The engineer stressed that the highway’s vigilance and maintenance guarantee the security of the motorists, with a highway patrol and private security and two ambulances.

Last edited: