Footwear for rain - Wellies, jellies, gumboots?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I know some people like to wear Crocs. :paranoid: (Please shoot me and put me out of my misery if you find me in them. :cheeky:) I was wondering with all the rain in the DR if women ever wear wellingtons, jellies etc.

Maresca ...:... Saniflex

Seriously, how do women going to the office survive all the rain and still look great?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some women don't get wet in the first place because they step daintily into their vehicle in a covered garage (marquesina) and park in a covered area at work.

Women who have to walk and take public transport might wear a pair of tennis shoes or flip flops and then change into their good shoes when they get into the office. I've only ever seen wellies in the campo, and always on men. Crocs, hideous though they may be, are starting to sound like a good solution. They are quite popular here now.

Don't forget the plastic shower cap or supermarket plastic bag for your hair!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You won't see a lot of stuff like that here for whatever reason. It could be that when it rains here maybe becasue the rain blows sideways and streets are usually flooded to 3' plus at times that people figure they are going to get wet anyway.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Plea

PLEEEEEEZE don't go for crocs.......don't do it!!! need i say more?

d

p.s. devoid of proactive advice i realize....but those are my main thoughts currently

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What's wrong with Crocs?? I love them...In fact, on days when I have Judo classes after my more mundane classes in Western Civ, I always wear my dark Crocs....that way I don't have to schlepp around with heavy Timberlands and then change into Crocs...

Fact is, it seldom rains here for very long. Most people do as Chirimoya has pointed out. Either they wade through water in flip-flops or they wait until it is all over...What? Me Worry???

HB

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Crocs...while maybe not aesthetically pleasing, I have to agree...are very "foot friendly".

For those of us whose job involves being on our feet all day, G-d answered our prayers when Crocs were created;)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-Crocs vs flip-flops (Havaianas) ???

-Crocs, too ugly, closed...
-Flip-flops, much nicer, open...

Flip-flops win :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I won't wear Crocs, or Birkenstocks for that matter, on purely aesthetic grounds - I like practical, comfortable shoes, but there is a limit!

I have to admit though that Crocs have been great for my seven-year old son: when we go away for the weekend for example, we no longer have to take sandals, tennis and chancletas - Crocs are pretty much all-purpose for play, pool, beach, and can be worn with jeans in the evenings. He only needs shoes or tennis if we have to dress formally, which is rare, play a specific sport or go on a long hike.

We bought his real Crocs in Puerto Rico in December. Does anyone know where they are sold in Santo Domingo? The shoe shops I've looked in only have the imitations.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I won't wear Crocs, or Birkenstocks for that matter, on purely aesthetic grounds - I like practical, comfortable shoes, but there is a limit!
I only wear my Birkenstocks when I drive the vintage Volvo to Save the Nuked Whales Rally's...

(j/k...:cheeky:)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was crushed last night when I happened upon the MTV channel and the /?Kitty Cats?? (five really hot hotties) were talking about men in Crocs and the question was if a guy wearing Crocs hit on you would you go for it? And the UNIVERSAL answer was NO!!

So, if you are trying to pick up chicks, do not wear Crocs!! If you are on your feet for hours on end, do wear them. If you don't give a shyte and want to be comfortable, wear them. They are certainly worn by hundreds of the DR "elite" as seen recently in Cap Cana and Punta Cana...

I have to say that when I first saw them my first thought was "UGLY" , but when I put them on for the first time, it was, like, you know, WOW!!!!!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was crushed last night when I happened upon the MTV channel and the /?Kitty Cats?? (five really hot hotties) were talking about men in Crocs and the question was if a guy wearing Crocs hit on you would you go for it? And the UNIVERSAL answer was NO!!
So, having watched that, what is the style-conscious-Hillbilly-about-town going to be wearing now?:cheeky:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Children look A D O R A B L E in crocs, I've tried to buy crocs but evrytime i go to the store i change my mind, they have so many beautiful colors, I love all those colors but paying $30 for some ugly very comfortable shoes, i am not convinced yet, but maybe this year so i use them in the campo, i like being comfortable when i go to the DR.................

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Well now they have Crocs with heels! http://www.crocs.com/
Now that's more like it. Birkenstocks, my daughter's a dancer and she thinks you can wear them anywhere, all four seasons, just add socks. (She got that from her father's side.) I confess to having a nice metallic khaki pair. Hey, they even have "Heidi Klum" birks now. How hot is that?

Now the only crocs I have are my Calvin Klein faux-croc sandals but you can't dance in them so I have salsa shoes that no self-respecting Latin woman would be caught dead in. As for men in Crocs, I saw a very nice neutral coloured faux leather crocs in a plane once coming down to the DR and I sat back and fantasized about him in surgical scrubs with a stethescope. Personally I like my men barefoot in the kitchen making me espresso on Sunday morning.... but hey, some of us live in Fantasy-land 24/7. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I forgot to add, Mr C is an enthusiastic convert to Crocs too, and I haven't ditched him as a result. But not for me, no. The ones with heels are even uglier.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Personally I like my men barefoot in the kitchen making me espresso on Sunday morning.... but hey, some of us live in Fantasy-land 24/7. :)

WHAT!!!! You mean not every woman is awarded one of those at 18? Damn, Staven Harper if your listening, pass some legislation ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Here in Puerto Plata - no crocs on locals.... just the ex pats... Yes they are major league ugly but so good in the rain... They never slip on wet tile floors, unlike flip flops that can leave you on your butt.

However you will not see a local out on the streets in crocs - original or knockoff..... Original $35.00 Knockoff at Casa Nelson 99 RD....about $3.00