Moving?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hey y'all, just here asking more questions. This one is directed at all you expats.

When you moved to the DR, what was the process to move here? i.e moving company, costs, legal, paperwork, problems, successes, things you would change, etc.

What were some of the things you had to take care of at home and some of the things you had to take care of here in the DR. Advice you would give.

Please be as detailed as possible.

Mr. Lu

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...well...
:)
Some of us came with a passport & a toothbrush, off a boat...
Believe it !
;)

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
I agree

I brought 3 suitcases and found a friend to help me get started. i moved into an apartment and started getting things a little at a time since I'm on a fixed income. very hard if you don't have enough money, so i think in order to live a good life here, you need at least a 1,000 per month. I get only 825.00 per month and its very hard since I never have enough money for my medication. If you are really bringing all of your stuff you might want to check with metro bus to see if they have some kind of boat service where you live. sounds like you need a cargo ship to have your stuff brought here, and i have no idea where you could contact one in your area. if your looking for a job, I can help you obtain one if you will have an Internet connection with USB headphones. sorry, not much help i can offer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I hired the company a respected poster referred me to. The poster is in the world-wide logistics business and knows his stuff.

The moving company provides door-to-door service, including all port and customs clearances through a respected agent in the DR. The total cost from Tampa to Jarabacoa for a FULL 40' container, including packing and unpacking, legal, taxes, paperwork, insurance, etc., is right at US$11,000. This assumes the goods coming in duty free as a new resident, by law. It does not include an automobile.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My wife I visited Punta Cana, La Romana and Puerto Plata. Each twice. On our third visit we purchased a house. We left the DR with me telling my wife we just gave 2 total strangers $$$$$$, are we stupid or what. We have been in Puerto Plata now for 2 years. We went back to the states to see the kids once. We are very lucky. Those strangers are now part of our family. How lucky can you get. Phil

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was relocated nine years ago by my then employer, an international cooperation agency. I travelled with two large suitcases and negotiated a waiver of the excess baggage fee at the airport.

The organisation covered the cost of three boxes of personal effects - mainly books, CDs and my sidipley, and assorted household items. I remember it took a while to get them through customs with the help of an agent appointed by the employer, but they arrived intact. Eventually.

I got my DR drivers licence almost automatically, because we had quasi-diplomatic status.

I got my residency several years later, after getting married to a Dominican.

Wouldn't change anything - the experience of working for this particular organisation was not positive on the whole, but it led on to other, better things.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I arrived with 3 cases and a telephone number to call someone when I got through passport control. My wife followed 6 days later with 2 cases.
We moved first into the Santo Domingo Hotel for one week then to an apartment in Piantini for 7 months. My employer found me an apartment in Arroyo Hondo which we moved out of asap due to persistent and protracted power cuts (never less than 6 hours a day and normally 10)
Now we live in another apartment In Mirador Sur. Much nicer and with some very nice neighbours.
Brought only very basic items with us as every place we have lived was fully furnished. No thoughts of bringing anything into the country from home yet, but might be tempted to buy an apartment in SD if the prices come down a bit in the next year or so.
Expecting to be here for the next 4-5 years but who knows.
Both working here and both negotiated jobs from outside the country before we got here.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
well...

there is a really good thread with a sticky in the 'living' section called DR moving 2006 or something like that. It has very helpful information about relocating here.

I would only reinforce the fact (and it could possibly be because i'm hungry) that you should bring down all your favorite kitchen items. I won't even try and suggest specfic ones as I miss all of mine equally......

what I would do for my cuisinart right now.......