Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyjfisch

Mar 30, 2008
I am traveling to the D.R. in June for business and have decided to stay in a resort. I haven't stayed in a resort during off season before. I am actually excited at the fact that there will be less people. Can anyone tell me about "less crowded" the resort will be? Will there still be entertainment? Is the service still good?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
It may be off season for North Americans BUT it's the holiday season for Europeans so still quite busy in my experience

Very good point - we are often told it is high season and low season in the DR - in most of the popular resorts the numbers do not change a great deal becuase of the influx of the Europeans, especially the Brits who still think a Summer holiday between June - September and especially July and August is an annual must!

Just be prepared for a change of accent!!

:cheeky:

Rio

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Of all the places........

Were are just tight gits especially from Yorkshire and won't pay the extortionate prices in December:cheeky:

Howdy pardner - I am in Yorkshire too! Small World!

You want to talk tight - there are a couple of nationalities far,far worse.......
no names,no pack drill ....... ;)

Rio

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
I'm one of those Brits who enjoy the annual summer holiday, lol. I think it's more down to the fact that the majority of British companies who have fixed holidays have always had them in July/August as well as our main school summer holidays of nearly two months being at the same time. In recent years it's become more difficult for parents to take children out of school outside of the set holidays and some have even been prosecuted and fined for it.

Anyway back to the question about resorts being less crowded. I've been to the Dominican at various times of the year and only noticed a small difference in the number of people around. The resorts still have on the full entertainment and I found the service on my trip last August to be still excellent standard. I'd agree with Rio2003 and say the only difference you might notice are the accents around you and maybe you might find a quieter spot on the beach.

I'm heading there myself in June. Hope you have a brilliant time there.

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
Forgot to add, I'm halfway between Yorkshire and Scotland so if that's anything to go by I'll be classed as even more of a penny pincher, I don't have much hope do I, he he.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I'm heading there myself in June. Hope you have a brilliant time there.

Jealous,jealous,jealous :bunny:

It really is a small world now - the other big difference I have noticed with the "seasons" is that there are a lot more "vacation club" members in the winter months (aka high season) - who tend to do their own thing more than the Europeans. In the summer months, with the bucket and spaders, the hotel can actually feel like there are more people around. The Brits especially like to stay very close.
Rio

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Small world indeed,
We are there also in June, 18th to be exact, staying at the Gran Ventana.

Brits do indeed tend to be more insular than the North American counterparts BUT we like to get out and about.

The OP may also see more female breasts than in the "high season" with the Europeans liking for topless sunbathing:cheeky:

Joke I was told by a Scottish friend

Yorkshire men are like Scottish men only with the generousity removed:cheeky:

Regards Ray

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Not just female......

Unfortunately you see a lot of man breasts too, Ray! :ermm:

Rio

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
yorkshire born yorkshire bred
strong in the arm and thick in the head......lol

If you really want to meet a tight a** watch the Koreans when they come to SD.
They would sleep in the doorway of the hotel if it was 10 dollars cheaper...lol
even the coconut boys give them their correct change......
Skippy1

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The higher end resorts tend to have more stable occupancy rates. BUT, their service levels will remain the same. If you go to the more middle market, occupancy tends to be lower and some things, like food variety at the buffet, will change.

I can suggest the Barcelo Grande or Occidental Playa Dorada as being middle ground but good. However - realize that on weekends the occupancy rises with locals getting some good deals. That applies to almost all the hotels.

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
My first trip to the DR was in 2000 and it was in August. I don't know if it was the resort we chose or the time of year, but for the first few days we were the only English speaking guests around. As much as we love each other, we quickly bored of our own company. Then a whole bus load of Brits came in and it was so nice to hear a language I understood. We met this great family from Liverpool when my son went to the bar. When he asked for his drink, the guy behind him asked him what part of Newfoundland he was from. Turns out he was a pilot with the British navy and had spent time at the training base in Goose Bay and knew the accent when he heard it. They were the most fun people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and they certainly made our vacation so much better. I also learned a very valuable lesson, Newfoundlanders do not belong in the DR in August, it is way too hot and humid for people who think 25 is a heat wave.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hurrah - someone who loves us!!!!!!
It was always so funny when I worked out there doing the coach spiel to incoming guests - I often got mistaken by the Canadians for an Australian and I am cockney!!
Glad you had a good time - we like a bit of fun!
Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.