occidental grand flamenco punta cana

dominique75

May 30, 2008
hello!
First time here...
Can anyone tell me if this hotel is a killer?
hehehe.....
Whatever.... Going there on the 4th till the 11th...
but wondering how to get a taxi there... and how much will it be for a round trip fare...
Thanx for help

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Been there in last month. Still doing some refurbs. Problems with the Royal Club still on going with half the rooms out of use as of last week.
Beach is good resort clean food average and the Time share guys a pain.
Expensive excursions and the shops are outrageous.

Front desk staff are slow but generally helpful.
Lower staff are friendly and pleasant.
When I was there a large crowd of German tourists until the American Dominicans arrived and took the whole place over. (Mothers weekend)
Entertainment is poor with low quality and very basic 80's Spanish resort themes.
Not sure I can take any more of Aga do or Follow the leader....lol

Skippy1

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i wasnt really impressed with the hotel itself bc i had been to other nicer resorts in punta cana but the beach is beautiful and the food wasnt too bad. i did get upgraded to a nicer suite which was a bonus.

the room was huge and really nice but the toilet in my room kept running and when i called to have someone fix it, no one ever showed up so i had to deal with it on my own :( no biggie though but like skippy said, the front desk is pretty slow and the time share guys can be pretty brutal so stay clear of them...IF you can ;)

the entertainment was average and i found most of the staff to be really friendly.

as for transportation...my friend didnt get a the tour package and had to take a taxi from PUJ to the hotel and it cost her about $40 USD each way. hope that helps!

have a great time!!

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
We'll be staying at the Royal Club june 28th-july12.

The free wifi link only works in the Royal club Reception not the rooms and the communal jaccuzi is leaking so it gets drained every other day unless they have fixed it now.
Beware of the hobby cats they are worn out and the rudder mechanisms are all broken.....can be a real pain if the wind drops

The beach barbeque is good at lunch times and give my love to Yessenia the barmaid in the private beach bar she is really cute.

Skippy1

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Almost forgot......use the room safe and get the key when you arrive not latter the next day. Take the key with you everywhere even to toilet.
Theft is rife in ALL AI resorts trust noone passport money credit cards tickets all in the safe. Do not think your combination case lock is good enough three people had there bags cut open when I was there so you have been warned.
The desk staff will just look at you with (stupid tourist eyes) if you go and complain about a theft.

Skippy1

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Almost forgot......use the room safe and get the key when you arrive not latter the next day. Take the key with you everywhere even to toilet.
Theft is rife in ALL AI resorts trust noone passport money credit cards tickets all in the safe. Do not think your combination case lock is good enough three people had there bags cut open when I was there so you have been warned.
The desk staff will just look at you with (stupid tourist eyes) if you go and complain about a theft.

Skippy1
So the safe has a combo lock and a key?
I think you have to be careful no matter what resort you stay in. We were at the Melia Caribe in March?april and had clothes stolen right out of our suitcases in the room. They ran a check on the room key, only the maid, soooo we know who it was, but you know the story.

I never take my laptop with me, so WIFI doesn't matter, and I probably wouldn't use that Jacuzzi anyway. I've read the reviews, all of them and other than most of the problems being in the rooms outside the Royal Club its typical complaints you hear about everything.
We are going with an open mind as usual;) We visit Punta Cana every 3 months until our permanent move in 3-4 years:bunny: Every time we go we stay at a different resort.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Switched

I have an awesome TA, 26 days before our trip I managed to switch to the Bavaro Princess, Platinum Suites:paranoid:

lepabejba

Jul 24, 2008
familiy holdays

hi eveyone
First time visit the occidental in punta cana with my family (3kids) any good advise?thx.