El Chino Bachatero

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Here is this funny video. It's now a OneMax commercial. Very Dominican. Really touches on one of the country's cultural enclaves. My interest in this video is how it recognizes the presence of Chinese Dominicans. It also relates how the Chinese have "integrated" to a degree in Dominican culture and how they have been recognized as a part of the community. When you represent someone in a commercial, at least in this case, it means that "they have arrived." Also, I look at it from a sociological perspective and what the music and the acting in the video represent about the DR. It's a bit deeper than just bachata. At least that's the way I am looking at it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QB56Zsa2rWA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QB56Zsa2rWA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Mr. Lu, this is a commercial?
i think it's an interesting parody but I agree with you, the chinese are being recognized just about everywhere in the caribbean.
Here's an interesting observation: One of my favorite restaurants in the Bronx, NY is a place called SABROSURA on Castle Hill Avenue, run entirely by Chinese-Dominicans, great food and great mix of both palates! I am very impressed! and they can speak spanish [with the Dominican accent and or sayings, still blows my mind to hear them talk], anyone in the BX want to enjoy good food I HIGHLY recommend it [especially their CHAUFAN]. NOTE they take CASH ONLY

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Please

What we need to know is will they perform at pasion in Santiago.....please alert AZB to this.:cheeky:

Don't bring AZB and that thread elsewhere on DR1. I don't what that topic to hijack the rest of DR1 threads, as has been reflected on various threads and posts.

Jalen, I agree and I might take a try to it next time in BX. I love how the Chinese are given due recognition, even if in a parody. This is a ONEMAX commercial, but I guess they did a full version. It's interesting to see Chinese Dominicans who speak Spanish. Many say the Chinese always stick together and stay to themselves, but I know many C/D's who interact and intermix and have become very Dominican. I just love this added layer to the Dominican cultural melange.

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I agree Lu, there is a big asian population in the DR that suprised me. and forgive me that i say asian, given that i do not know their exact background though it is logical to assum chinese, in any case they have a big presence in the caribbean that is hard to go unnoticed. i find it very interesting in the businesses they are involved in [granted very diverse] but in particular in two places i have noticed
DR: cabana owners/managers
Jamaica: supermarket/supercenter owners
and of course restaurants/food industry with a big fan base worldwide.
i agree with you this is a ONEMAX parody but even so it was enough to spark crativity in that company to come up with this idea and make this short commercial, it wouldnt surprise me if there is a legit chino bachatero out there!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Cool Jalen,

Here is a DR1 Article on the Chinese in the DR. It's interesting and provides some perspective on this cultural enclave in the DR.

Enjoy,

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey Lu, did you see the movie PERICO PIPIAO? there was a brief scene there with a chinese man in the back of a truck carrying Haitians over the border....did you happen to catch the comment between the general and some political figure about the chinaman? interesting....

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Mr. Lu, enjoy this video [part of the movie]
check it out at 4:17, this is the scene i was talking about!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDfieCfzNjI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDfieCfzNjI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Mr. Lu, this is a commercial?
i think it's an interesting parody but I agree with you, the chinese are being recognized just about everywhere in the caribbean.
Here's an interesting observation: One of my favorite restaurants in the Bronx, NY is a place called SABROSURA on Castle Hill Avenue, run entirely by Chinese-Dominicans, great food and great mix of both palates! I am very impressed! and they can speak spanish [with the Dominican accent and or sayings, still blows my mind to hear them talk], anyone in the BX want to enjoy good food I HIGHLY recommend it [especially their CHAUFAN]. NOTE they take CASH ONLY

Been there, the food is great!!!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
O H MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was toooooo funny!!!!!! I love it as comedy, is he for real? its pretty funny.

"Toy alante alante, ya no hay quien me aguante!?????????

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the emperor of Bachata? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just hillarious.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Just saw the clip Jalen. It fascinates me to no end. They have made an impact on Dominican society. You can tell this is the case when they are parodied.

Thanks,

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
yes Lu, the impact is undeniable. When I saw this movie with my wife, she just laughed at it [i mean it is funny], but i knew the subliminal message right away and there is no doubt the director knew what message he wanted to send.
interesting too in this movie there are references to the revolution and revolutionary figures like Che, Castro and surprisingly Mao Tse Tung.
have you seen this movie in its entirety?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
No

yes Lu, the impact is undeniable. When I saw this movie with my wife, she just laughed at it [i mean it is funny], but i knew the subliminal message right away and there is no doubt the director knew what message he wanted to send.
interesting too in this movie there are references to the revolution and revolutionary figures like Che, Castro and surprisingly Mao Tse Tung.
have you seen this movie in its entirety?

I have never seen this movie. I am not a big fan of Dominican cinema or comedy, but I might have to take a moment out to watch it.

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey Lu you can watch the whole movie on YouTube since the user split it up in sections. I have the DVD at home, I could burn it but not sure about shipping it to DR...i think i would rather give it to you in person when i come back to the island! LOL
burn me a copy of El Chino Bachatero! LOL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This video was already posted by juanita a year ago. Its a funny video. I like it.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Perico Ripiao is a really good movie! Although it is goofy slapstick humour, it doesn't overdo it, and it's very well filmed - IMO.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I agree Chirimoya, I really enjoyed Perico Ripiao and watch it all the time at home.
Sankie Pankie isnt all that bad either, i should post clips of that on a Sankie thread! LOL

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
That's a very funny video! it's been online for a while and 1st I thought he was a real bachatero, then I found out that's a commercial. A pity, they could do good business as bachateros.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
dont sleep on it! you never know....there might be a chino de la bachata in the works, you never know right? i mean there is a gringo de la bachata....ha ha ha