La Otra Wifey.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2008
A man left Dominican Republic when he was 20; he left behind a wife (de union libre, not really married) and one kid. It took him 8 years to return to Dominican Republic, during that time he met someone, lives with her, she is known as his wife, also, and has 2 kids. He is now 40 and he goes to Dominican Republic once a year for about 15 day, where he stay with his wife, in the house he has bought for him, her an there child, but the rest of the year he lives with his wife here, in the house he bought for him, her and there kids.

Who's of the two is the real wife?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To the best of my knowledge, he does not have a wife, by the definition that a wife is the woman a man marries.

He did not have a legal obligation to buy the woman in the DR a house, only to maintain the child.

You would have to check the legislation in the country where the man lives to understand what provisions are available for a man who has lived with a woman for so long.

In the DR if a woman and man live together for as long as you mention as a couple, the woman would be able to claim practically as if they had been married in the case of a divorce, for example. But, if a second family can be identified, this may not be valid as the law establishes that the union must be monogamous and they must be recognized as a couple living together. In the case mentioned, the man even lives abroad, making it even less likely a court would award wife status to the woman.

Last edited:
May 31, 2008
Ok I Will Be More Specific

To the best of my knowledge, he does not have a wife, by the definition that a wife is the woman a man marries.

He did not have a legal obligation to buy the woman in the DR a house, only to maintain the child.

You would have to check the legislation in the country where the man lives to understand what provisions are available for a man who has lived with a woman for so long.

In the DR if a woman and man live together for as long as you mention as a couple, the woman would be able to claim practically as if they had been married in the case of a divorce, for example. But, if a second family can be identified, this may not be valid as the law establishes that the union must be monogamous and they must be recognized as a couple living together. In the case mentioned, the man even lives abroad, making it even less likely a court would award wife status to the woman.

HE HAS OT LEGALY MARRIED NONE, FREE UNION WITH BOTH, WHO THEN IS THE RIGHTFUL WIFE

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I thought I had answered it above. Let me rephrase...

What is a wife? Isn't a wife a woman who is MARRIED to a man? Then, none would be the wife (none are married).

Woman No. 1 cannot claim any assets other than the house where she has been living, as she cannot demonstrate she was been living with the man (he is abroad) as a couple, as per Dominican law. Do a search, this has been addressed previously in the forum.

Regards woman No. 2... it would depend on common law in the country where she resides with the Dominican man.

Nevertheless, the children in both cases have a claim over their father's assets in equal amounts.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Yes Dolores, but in practice, probably only to the assets that papa has in the country they are living in. It's tough to get an inheritance judgement enforced in another country if they don't live here or there, what with lawyers fees, language barriers, etc....

May 31, 2008
maybe i was not clear

in this situation i am tring to determine who has the status wife, and who is the other: the titlem for those who can not read spanish is: the other wifey, therefore who is the other wife:

women 1 or women 2

what is more important, length of relationship, time spent together, of commitment.....is it honor.

these both women are is common law spouses one in the USA and the otherin Dominican Republic, both have children, and both have ommited there lives to him.

THEREFORE WHO IS RESPECTFUL WIFE AND WHO IS THE OTHER.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Although I would tend to side with the other posters who say that neither is the wife because a Wife is MARRIED

But in terms of in the community, I would say the woman that is in the Dominican Republic because she had an established relationship with him first that he never terminated when he moved. As he continues to support her and their child, unless he is just supporting the child and does not have an actual relationship with the woman.

I don't know anything about law or inheritances, I am only going on status in the community. If he took the second woman to the Dominican Republic, I do not think that the community would consider her as the wife, I think that they would consider the first...but I could be wrong.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If I understand the original post correctly, el dominicano has lived in his new home country for the past 20 years, and he has lived with Number 2 for 12+ years there. He has only spent 15 days a year for the past 12 years with Number 1 here in the DR.

Most other countries laws would now consider him to be the common-law wife of Number 2, and I think the DR legal system would consider him to NOT be the common law husband of Number 1, because he is not here in her house or in the DR for enough time to be legally found as such.

ALL of the kids should be considered his heirs if he dies, but again, getting a claim on whatever he leaves behind in another country (and this works in BOTH countries where he has children) would be extremely hard to do. Even with a recognized claim, collecting is another thing. By the time the justice system of most countries worked, Number 2 would have managed to put them out of reach by any means, for both her and their childrens' future security.

If I were Number 2, and we had managed to build up something substantial together, I would be pressing him to finally get legally married, but that depends on the laws of the country they live in. If she failed to get him in front of a judge to be legally married, and for the security of knowing she would get 1/2 for her future, she would at least have a choice to make a claim to her share of the assets.

Number 1 should probably be thankful she gets to see him at all, and for anything he gives her. I am positive he comes home with armfuls of things for his kids here when he comes, that is the dominican way. Maybe he stays with Number 1 to see his kids here in the DR and to avoid having to pay for a hotel during his "vacation" in the DR, who knows?

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
common law

I'm really tired and may have missed it, but i do know common law in the states for example is real. I was with a DR woman for about 10 years have 3 kids etc and our belongings after we broke up was court ordered to sell and split the proceeds 50/50 and she did not work etc. it will depend on the country and state, sorry if i missed something if this was already mentioned.
as for who is the wife, you need to be married if the country or state does not have a common law, although religion could play a part as well. I know for example with a muslim, if you are not together for 6 months and do not provide any support for your wife, you are considered divorced by muslim law.

A man left Dominican Republic when he was 20; he left behind a wife (de union libre, not really married) and one kid. It took him 8 years to return to Dominican Republic, during that time he met someone, lives with her, she is known as his wife, also, and has 2 kids. He is now 40 and he goes to Dominican Republic once a year for about 15 day, where he stay with his wife, in the house he has bought for him, her an there child, but the rest of the year he lives with his wife here, in the house he bought for him, her and there kids.

Who's of the two is the real wife?

Don't hate the player hate the game. They are both his wives as long as he is able to take care of both families God bless him.

Status
Not open for further replies.