English speaking people in SD?

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Hey everybody,

First post on this site but I've been surfing around here for a while now and the advice and things people have said really help!!

I'm moving this September to Santo Domingo to be with my Fiancee (finally) and we're getting married October this year :) Going through the turmoil at the minute of getting myself closed down here in the UK and ready to go!!

Most things I think are covered now and no real concerns excepting my lack of Spanish language skills currently. I am intensive schooling for 3 months when I arrive and hopefully it will be a start and the immersion in the language will take care of the rest slowly but surely!

The main thing im trying to find out now is about US/UK/english speaking residents in or around Santo Domingo just to bounce off occasionally and I suppose help a little with the adjustment to the rather dramatically different lifestyle there!! Would be excellent to meet some friendly faces occasionally, especially some that dont speak Dominican Spanish at 1000 miles an hour!! jaja

Just be nice to hear from some people and have a chat with you all. And maybe sit down for a coffee or a beer sometime soon!!

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
SteveS,

They are all over the place. In SD and around the country. I am frequently amazed how many people here actually speak English -- both the rather large expat populations and domincans who have learned.

Enjoy! But don't spent too much time with those English speaking people. Learn espanol first. If you learn how to survive here with minimal spanish you may never become fluent. I speak from personal experience.

Jim

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Not easy to find anyone who does not speak Dominican Spanish at 100 mph even the ones with a little empathy for the newbie still think 90 mph is too slow.
Beware of the really good English speaking Dominicans in tourist areas, that don't seem to have a real job. Many prefer to use their English skills (learnt in USA before they were deported for some serious crime) to con ex pats.
While SD and Santiago are more cosmopolitan you will not hear English spoken very much outside a work enviroment.
You can get by on basic Spanish but for most it takes about two years before you can really say you are anywhere near fluent.
Be prepared for some misunderstandings too as with English many words have more than one meaning.
An electronic dictionary can make things easier (I have a English Spanish electronic translator which I reply on for somethings but they are not perfect and do sometimes come up with Spanish equivalent of gobbledygook)

Welcome to SD when you come, be prepared for some interesting sites and sounds. The people are a very mixed bag so be careful when out on the street.

Skippy1

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Tell us more

Hi SteveS

I am always interested when I hear a fellow Brit is about to make the big move. I and my family (incl Dominican wife) are well along the road to moving to the DR to live. Its been a long time in the making.

Tells us your story, where you're from, how did you meet your DR lady, where you'll be living and what you intend to do for work.

Don't think me nosey please, just curious.

Regards,
Paul