Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: translation

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default translation

could someone translate these words? i have friends from DR and they say these words but i don't know what they are and they don't know/want to ecplain what they mean.
    -tato
    -destras
    -mamajuana

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing, but "tato" is probably "ta to", the very informal local pronunciation of "está todo", as in "?Como está todo?" - How is everything?

"Destras" is "detrás" - behind (the preposition, not the noun).

"Mamajuana" is a popular Dominican drink made by infusing herbs, spices and other things in rum. It is said to have aphrodisiac qualities. Mama Juana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Chirimoya: the use of tato='ta to' is not to question in this case but an answer. in english it'll be: got it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"Ta' to" Would be more in line with "Okee Dokee" or "I'm cool with that" depending on the ongoing conversation...

The word "detrás" is used in many ways, it could mean right behind, in the hunt of, on the other side and other meanings that depend on the context it's used with...

"Mamajuana" Is as explained above, but also was used in the olden days as an elixir to treat stomach ills... The main ingredients of that elixir type of mamajuana were the roots of certain medicinal plants. They used the roots after drying them by exposing them to the sun, as to concentrate the potency of the main ingredient.

Also a non-alcohol based mamajuana was used to provide for people with blood infections and other types of ailments... They used to pour coconut water and the same solutions employed to produce "pega palos" in them.
    One Dominican at a time please!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever heard (tasted) of "guarapo de Pina"???
    One Dominican at a time please!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Assuming...............

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaV11 View Post
    could someone translate these words? i have friends from DR and they say these words but i don't know what they are and they don't know/want to ecplain what they mean.
    -tato
    -destras
    -mamajuana
    that "they don't want" to explain what they mean.................

and assuming that that the "second" word destras (detras) is correct...............

Thinking from the gutter, BADBOY can think of two other meanings for the 1st and 3rd word that could apply IF they are not spelled exactly correct and would be related to word #2!...............

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

ok.. thanks. some of these makes sense in the conversation we were having now..
    and yeah.. don't want to. i would ask them what it meant and he would use another word i dont understand.. haha

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
    Chirimoya: the use of tato='ta to' is not to question in this case but an answer. in english it'll be: got it.
    This is my understanding of the words 'ta 'to also, from what my Dominican friends tell me...

I NEVER say that though to someone I am speaking to formally as it is very slangy...it means sort of "got it" or "okay"

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone know what this means, I don't fully understand it 'Mmmm.. Mamacita, En Esa Cola Si Mi FormOOOOOOOOO !!!! )'

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Damn Marxsis I hope you're a girl, and if you are, well, let's say you have a JLo thing going on back there. LMFAO!!!!!!

I don't think I can translate it literally but I can try to explain what it means...

Cola: in Spanish it has several meanings including the line you get in at banks, theaters or anywhere else you must wait your turn; it's also used for your buttocks, so what they said was: damn girl, that's a cola (line/ass) I'll do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast