translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
could someone translate these words? i have friends from DR and they say these words but i don't know what they are and they don't know/want to ecplain what they mean.
-tato
-destras
-mamajuana

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm guessing, but "tato" is probably "ta to", the very informal local pronunciation of "est? todo", as in "?Como est? todo?" - How is everything?

"Destras" is "detr?s" - behind (the preposition, not the noun).

"Mamajuana" is a popular Dominican drink made by infusing herbs, spices and other things in rum. It is said to have aphrodisiac qualities. Mama Juana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
Chirimoya: the use of tato='ta to' is not to question in this case but an answer. in english it'll be: got it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
"Ta' to" Would be more in line with "Okee Dokee" or "I'm cool with that" depending on the ongoing conversation...

The word "detr?s" is used in many ways, it could mean right behind, in the hunt of, on the other side and other meanings that depend on the context it's used with...

"Mamajuana" Is as explained above, but also was used in the olden days as an elixir to treat stomach ills... The main ingredients of that elixir type of mamajuana were the roots of certain medicinal plants. They used the roots after drying them by exposing them to the sun, as to concentrate the potency of the main ingredient.

Also a non-alcohol based mamajuana was used to provide for people with blood infections and other types of ailments... They used to pour coconut water and the same solutions employed to produce "pega palos" in them.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Assuming...............

could someone translate these words? i have friends from DR and they say these words but i don't know what they are and they don't know/want to ecplain what they mean.
-tato
-destras
-mamajuana

that "they don't want" to explain what they mean.................

and assuming that that the "second" word destras (detras) is correct...............

Thinking from the gutter, BADBOY can think of two other meanings for the 1st and 3rd word that could apply IF they are not spelled exactly correct and would be related to word #2!...............:bunny::bunny:

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
ok.. thanks. some of these makes sense in the conversation we were having now..
and yeah.. don't want to. i would ask them what it meant and he would use another word i dont understand.. haha

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Chirimoya: the use of tato='ta to' is not to question in this case but an answer. in english it'll be: got it.

This is my understanding of the words 'ta 'to also, from what my Dominican friends tell me...

I NEVER say that though to someone I am speaking to formally as it is very slangy...it means sort of "got it" or "okay"

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
anyone know what this means, I don't fully understand it 'Mmmm.. Mamacita, En Esa Cola Si Mi FormOOOOOOOOO !!!! :))'

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Damn Marxsis I hope you're a girl, and if you are, well, let's say you have a JLo thing going on back there. LMFAO!!!!!!

I don't think I can translate it literally but I can try to explain what it means...

Cola: in Spanish it has several meanings including the line you get in at banks, theaters or anywhere else you must wait your turn; it's also used for your buttocks, so what they said was: damn girl, that's a cola (line/ass) I'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.