Working temporarily in Canada

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Has anyone tried to get sponsor a temporary worker (to Canada) lately? My husband and I (mostly me) will soon be going through the process, first we will start by getting a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC and then if they approve it we will do the CIC paperwork.
I was wondering if anyone has positive results??
I must say I was rather discouraged when reading Glen Needham's post, a few months back, and I am not looking forward to all of the paperwork. Has anyone confirmed that there is a quota in place for the amount of work visas granted to Dominican workers?
BTW in case you are curious we are looking for barbers (who know how to use the razor blade as they do in the DR, cut Black, Asian and Middle Eastern people's hair.....).

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
To clarify you are looking for DR barbers and this isn't for your husband right?

I'm sure you know that once in Canada they need to write the provincial exam in order to be licensed.

Someone posted that it takes 17 months to get a work visa but we have yet to have anyone post about actually getting work visa to Canada.

Last edited:

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
It might be easier, cheaper & faster to send staff down to the DR to train and come back.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Not for my husband

No it is not for my husband, who has been here for almost 3 years now. We would lke to bring 2 barbers here, one being his nephew, to work as surprisingly (to me) it is not that easy finding a good barber.

The shop has to have a licensed hair stylist / barber but all of the barbers do not need to be licensed.

Yes training someone is an opton but ideally he would like another family member living nearby.

I am only curious to know if anyone has had any success with this process in relation to Dominican workers.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
In order to qualify for a work visa in Canada for anyone, you have to go through a very long, complicated procedure to prove that there are no Canadians that can do that work. I doubt very much that you will ever be able to prove that there are no barbers already anywhere in Canada that cannot 'do' black hair as there are hundreds of thousands of immigrants from every country in the world in every major city, town and village in Canada.

Sponsoring family members who are not wives, husbands, mothers, fathers or siblings is almost impossible now. You can try, but be prepared to spend a lot of time, money, resources and you have absolutely no guarantee your request will be considered at all.

Sorry, but Canada has lowered their numbers for immigration and even more so from countries where the citizens have the reputation for going there on visitor's visas and never going back, such as Dominican, Jamaicans and many others.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
totally aware of the slim chance of succeeding

Yes I am TOTALLY aware that we are more likely to fail than to succeed. My husband is determined to try this even though I have told him it is a long and complicated process with little chance of success.

I know there are probably lots of Canadian barbers, that can do this work, but it is always more diffcult to find good help when the unemployment rate is low.