And now, the Santo Domingo-Saman? Hwy!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to today's newspapers and a news program on Channel 7, the Highway between Santo Domingo and Saman? is now open.
Now, there are a couple of bridges that need to be finished or you'll be doing an imitation of the good ol' "General Lee" flying over a crick, and there are still workers doing their thing, but it is "open to the public."
What remains to be seen is whether the Public will take to that road. Today's Listin Diario says the toll is RD$325. I saw a sign on the TV that said RD$150.

So, I figure if you save more than a gallon or two of gasoline by using the new route, you might pay the piper, huh?

Oh yes, there will be a day or two of "free" transit on the highway....just so's you get used to the idea...

Now, what do you think? Gonna use it??

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That should have been RD$130, not RD$150 on the sign...

HB, too late to make correction via EDIT

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Now, what do you think? Gonna use it??
Even if I have to shell out 650RD$ (round trip), I'll use it !!!
Keep in mind this highway makes us (people residing in the Saman? Peninsula) less isolated...
One could easily spend the day in Santo Domingo, and head back before sunset... Great for shopping, visiting friends, humming in the city etc...
It used to be almost 5 hours before (driving through SFdeM.), so there's simply no questions...
Now the question is: "-When will Caribe Tours or Metro start a bus road from Saman?/Sanchez to Santo Domingo, using the new highway ? And how much will a seat cost ?"

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
According to List?n Diario, it costs 325 pesos for a light vehicle because the highway has 3 toll booths:

Asimismo, explic? que en cada peaje se paga ida y vuelta, lo que implica que las personas que viajen en un veh?culo liviano pagar?n RD$40 en el primer peaje ubicado en las cercan?as de la autopista Las Am?rica; RD$130 en el que est? en el kil?metro 18 de la v?a y RD$155 en el que fue erigido en La Reforma.

BTW, can anyone tell where La Reforma is and where the new highway starts (in Santo Domingo)?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
j
BTW, can anyone tell where La Reforma is and where the new highway starts (in Santo Domingo)?

nope, it's near the other end of the highway. La Reforma, is the town in Duarte province where the highway crosses the Yuna river.

It is close to Arenoso on the the second map below, ..

http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/75781-samana-highway-open-1-june.html#12

Mapa2.1.jpg

marzo08-c.jpg

Last edited:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Sorry. I meant to have answers to 2 questions: (1) where La Reforma is and (2) where the highway starts in SD. You answered both.

Wow, that highway IS a time saver!

Do you mind if I borrow those maps?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It won't be long before there will be various "cowpaths" acessing this highway from all over to get around paying the fees.

BTW, the turnpike from Orlando to W Palm Beach is about the same price for around twice the distance - and you don't have to jump over any bridges. :)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Sorry. I meant to have answers to 2 questions: (1) where La Reforma is and (2) where the highway starts in SD. You answered both.

Wow, that highway IS a time saver!

Do you mind if I borrow those maps?

Oops! I skimmed over and misread what you wrote. ..glad I answered both of your questions though.