Translation needed - car insurance terminology

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
DR1 ers - I need some translation help and a bit of info on the following......

Here in England if we insure a car it will have one of the following cover types:-

Third party - liability for damage to a third party in the event of an accident.
Third party, Fire and Theft - As above and self explanatory
Fully Comprehensive - self explanatory with different levels of excess payable by the policyholder in the event of a claim.

What I need to know is what am I looking for in the DR to give me the same coverage as Fully Comprehensive?
What exactly is CDW?
Another poster on DR1 gave a link to Europcar who have CDWplus with no explanation of what that is and yet they expect you to make a reservation with no details available and yet charge 10.44 US daily on top of the rental charge.

Another dilemma - on two seperate occasions I have reserved a vehicle online in the UK to pick up on my arrival at POP, having been assured that it was FULLY PAID. Then on arrival - wham! another hidden charge is levied.

On the last occasion I refused to pay but we reached a stalemate - the villain in the office refused to give me the vehicle that I had paid for (750US$) without a further 2000 pesos, the office in the UK was closed being 9pm UK time - so I paid. After 11 hours travelling I was in mood to argue and a cold presidente was calling me!

So my questions to you are - please give me some pointers to what terminology I should be looking for for fully comp coverage, what are the current taxes in the DR to be levied on a rental and how do you win a one to one battle with a beligerant Dominican?

Rio

Mar 2, 2008
Rio, I can't help with spanish terminology, but I do know most credit card companies can arrange to cover car rental insurance almost anywhere in the world, and usually you do not need anything more.
I have used a couple of car rental compaies at POP. While both tried to sell me more insurance on top of what I had through the card, I declined the extra and got the car at the original on-line price.