Day at the river bao.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This should have been the sunday thread but I was out and having fun at the river in somewhere near janico called paimito (spelling???). This place was an interesting location as there weren't too many people there. The road leading to the river from sabana iglesia is horrible so we had to go there in 3 suvs. the idea was to cook chicken and moro (rice with veggies and beans) in nature with wood fire. Our cook was a lady from the campo who came like 3 hours late. When she did come, she brought her tigre husband, kids and even grand kid. So we had to feed a whole family as well. No problem as you folks will soon find out the rules of cooking by the river. You have to feed everyone and I mean everyone who is at the river. hahahaha.
So as we were sitting there waiting for our cooks to show up, we were well fed by the people who were already cooking there on a huge grill, some tasty meat. We swam in the river and drank / ate while waiting for our cook to show up. after 3 hours the cook shows up and her reason for being late was that she was cooking up the beans at home because it takes hours to make them soft.
never mind, we had satisfied our hunger with food supplied by other folks around us. When we finally cooked up the food, which was helped by everyone, including India canela (our friend- didn't know she was so famous all over DR). she helped cook and the rest of us just did what we do best, BS.
The food was prepared and was consumed as its always consumed. People from all around us, even as far as people on the other side. Came without even invitation and picked up plates and helped us finish it all, even the con con part of the rice. hahahahaha, it was funny to see how people just invite themselves, i was wondering how would some of the tourists react if they saw this happening to them in a river picnic. the fact is, this is how generally people share everything when they are in a picnic. I actually like this part because I am the same way when it comes to inviting people to my house and feeding them. I will even feed your friends and anyone you bring in.
. if you guys are interested, I will post pictures of the river and the water damn (taveras).
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes. please post the pics.

Which area of the DR was this? Was it the Cibao?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Checking my handy Cibae?o dictionary - it appears "Paimito" is really "Palmito". :cool:

Also, post the picks - this is close to home and if the area is clean I'll take the girls - maybe tomorow as I go to the States on Wed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry, I think it caimito. The pictures are still in my camera and I forgot to bring the SD chip to my office. So please wait for the pictures when i get home in the evening, I will post some.
The area is close to janico but we got there by way of sabana iglesia, you can also go there from the road to presa tavares from auto pista duarte opposite moca exit.
By the way, presa tavares is also a must see if you happen to be near the area.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yes. please post the pics.

Which area of the DR was this? Was it the Cibao?
Its part of cibao and it is near where MAR is from. The area is in mountains surrounded by beautiful scenery of beautiful lush green valleys with view of the water damn. just wait and I will post pictures tonight.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
so much beautiful scenery and green valleys and trees....i can imagine it all now, by a river and having some cold Brahmas....ahhh yes :)

YEAP!!! that's exactly how it is you would love it jalencastro, not green valleys but green hills and mountains...........just beautiful, I love the little town of Janico, the center of town is tiny a couple of streets but its cute, they a church, a gas station some stores.

But I don't suggest u go to the rivers on Sundays too crowded with all kinds of people.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This place is not janico but close to janico, a little pueblo called caimito.
So yes you will see hills, valleys with precious view of water damn and river.
Not many people on that river point. Remember, this is river bao but its not in janico that I am talking about, so not many people come to this place.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
AZB seemed to had been in an area of Bao that's more secluded, but if you go to the Janico route it gets pretty crowded but I was also thinking more of La Ceiba on a Sunday, via San Jose de las matas, way too many people, very loud and very drunk and throwing garbage all over the place.

I was surprised though that AZB was drinking in a river!! :surprised
that's definitly a chopo thing to do, hahahahah :laugh::laugh:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was surprised though that AZB was drinking in a river!! :surprised
that's definitly a chopo thing to do, hahahahah :laugh::laugh:

yes, I was drinking, a pepsi. These guys were from bermudez rum company so they has the aniversario edition. I didn't drink because i am not so crazy about alcohol, no matter what day or place. i only drink a couple of brahmas and thats all.
I had more fun with the river and food than anything else.
here is one picture of the tigres.

bhemol.jpg

All santiagueros.
AZB

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
AZB,

how far is the drive from your house? less than an hour?

carlos

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB,

how far is the drive from your house? less than an hour?

carlos

its less than an hour's drive but the guys made like 100 stops, eat, buy beers, bathroom breaks, husband & wife fighting, flat tire, one car getting lost on a turn etc. We got there in like way more than an hour.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
2ns2p7a.jpg

On the way to river, view of presa taveras (taveras water dam).

15s53t0.jpg

wl2gcm.jpg

av20aq.jpg

Had to blur out the faces of the ladies.

2yobdjq.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
259ewbl.jpg

11j403k.jpg

eu4hgj.jpg

1hdrud.jpg

29nc8dh.jpg

This man was nice enough to feed us while we waited for our cook to show up.

2v27ceq.jpg

cell phone camera picture. our food being prepared.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
11qs18y.jpg

Musica tipica artist India Canela, helping stir the pot.

140c8l5.jpg

35k93k2.jpg

2jbttaw.jpg

background mountain wall. Imagine an earthquake?? Yikexxxx

2rgdtea.jpg

23sgrdl.jpg

AZB