I have an important question

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Let's say, I want to visit a country I've never visited before that requires a visa, however, since I'm a student (although over 18), I don't have a bank account, or don't have enough money on my bank account, but my parents do, what should I do ? Have them open up a bank account under my name and transfer the money, or could I use their bank account statement ?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If I remember correctly you are Dominican still living in the DR correct?

I think most countries watch that sort of thing very carefully. Large amounts of money moving into an account that wasn't there before is a red flag.

If you use your parents bank statements don't they have your parents names on them?

BTW did you ever get the visa to France last year?

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
If I remember correctly you are Dominican still living in the DR correct?

I think most countries watch that sort of thing very carefully. Large amounts of money moving into an account that wasn't there before is a red flag.

If you use your parents bank statements don't they have your parents names on them?

BTW did you ever get the visa to France last year?

I'm a haitian student, but I have a dominican cedula. Well I applied for the french visa, and got denied, but I realized, that I was missing certain documents, for exemple, the hotel I was gonna stay at, was missing important information, and I also used my fathers bank statement, but it was missing the 3 months slips they were asking for.

I was wondering, because some of my friends went to spain in march, it was for some sort of conference, and they told me that, they had borrowed money to deposit on their bank accounts (u know students, dont have that much money), and they were granted the visa). i have a conference in brazil for the summer. Not sure yet, if I'm going, but I just wanted to know, about the bank statement issue, because that's the most confusing part for me.

Sep 19, 2005
I am sure the criteria for visa approval goes way beyond just a bank account and its life history.

so dont build your hopes up on an expected large deposit into your account to get you that visa.

good luck anyway

bob

Mar 2, 2008
It may different in some countries, but usually when attending a conference in another country, all that is required is your passport and the conference information, including your sign-up verification. The conference organizers should be able to help you with this.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It may different in some countries, but usually when attending a conference in another country, all that is required is your passport and the conference information, including your sign-up verification. The conference organizers should be able to help you with this.

Keep in mind he is Haitan with a Dominican cedula, he would still need to apply for a visa to enter Brazil. It might not be as hard as the US or Canada but he still needs to apply for one.

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Keep in mind he is Haitan with a Dominican cedula, he would still need to apply for a visa to enter Brazil. It might not be as hard as the US or Canada but he still needs to apply for one.

I'm a "she" :)
Well yeah, and I can always apply in Haiti. They told me they had a brazilian embassy over there.

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Sorry about that ;)

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Thanks. By the way, I have another question. It's about sponsoring. What is it exactly ? I've noticed this word several times on various threads about visas .
Thanks

Sep 19, 2005
I think it would behoove you to go into that forum and use the search function...

I think it is obvious you are the beginning of your learning curve on visas.

you can gain a lot of ground and info......looking around in that VISA forum.

plus there will be links for various countries in there that will give you even more info on the visa process along with definitions to many terms

good luck

bad bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks. By the way, I have another question. It's about sponsoring. What is it exactly ? I've noticed this word several times on various threads about visas .
Thanks

A sponsor is a person that takes responsibility in helping you immigrate to another country. It's usually a spouse, future spouse or relative. Every country is different with different rules.

But it has nothing to do with a visitor visa.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A sponsor is a person that takes responsibility in helping you immigrate to another country. It's usually a spouse, future spouse or relative. Every country is different with different rules.

But it has nothing to do with a visitor visa.

Not necessarily- if a Dominican wanted to come to Canada- as with my wife's two nieces we sent an invitation letter and offered to cover all expenses, and assume responsibility for their leaving Canada on time. This would be considered sponsering. Normally sponoring would be for a work visa, but it could be a school or foundation also that is sponsoring a visiting student...etc.

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
Let's say, I want to visit a country I've never visited before that requires a visa, however, since I'm a student (although over 18), I don't have a bank account, or don't have enough money on my bank account, but my parents do, what should I do ? Have them open up a bank account under my name and transfer the money, or could I use their bank account statement ?

have your parents put your name on their account. it worked for me a long time ago.

GPV

Jun 5, 2008
All you need is a letter (maybe notarized) from your parents where they state that they'll cover all your expenses. I've been in that same situation many times before and this is how it's done.