UK Chandaliers - 210v or 110v or both

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I'm thinking about purchasing some chandeliers from Ikea in the UK and then having them shipped, among other things, to the DR.

Can anybody confirm whether these lights will work in the DR?

Does the DR use both 210v and 110v?

Thanks in advance!

Tish

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I'm thinking about purchasing some chandeliers from Ikea in the UK and then having them shipped, among other things, to the DR.

Thanks in advance!

Tish

Nope - DR is 110v - most of the time......lol

You need to speak to a sparky in the UK to see if and how to convert - for appliances we have to use a voltage convertor - not sure for light fittings.

:ermm:

Rio

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

Thanks in advance!

Tish

It is not the chandeler that matters. It is the light bulb. Check and see if the socket(s) will take 110V in the watts that you desire.

Regards, Ringo

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Like Ringo said the voltage is of no importance with regard the chandalier.
the bulbs or lamps whatever you prefer need to be 110v for DR if you leave the 240v UK ones they will work no problem only much reduced brightness.
If you have a plug fitted already you will need to remove it and depending on how you want to install it you might need to change to the two pin US variety.

Skippy1

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Do you really want to do this, tish? As they are not family heirlooms :cheeky: why not buy here?

Are they the sort which could get broken in transit, handling, unloading etc because if they are.............yep :cheeky:. Could you be at risk of import dues you currently haven't heard of? Why put yourself through unnecessary hassle when IKEA in Santo Domingo is due to open next year?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Like Ringo said the voltage is of no importance with regard the chandalier.
the bulbs or lamps whatever you prefer need to be 110v for DR if you leave the 240v UK ones they will work no problem only much reduced brightness.
If you have a plug fitted already you will need to remove it and depending on how you want to install it you might need to change to the two pin US variety.

Skippy1

Is a 60 watt bulb brighter/less bright in 110/120 VAC compaired to 220/240 VAC?

Most chandelers are hard wired into to ceiling box with no plug needed. Table and desk lamps that plug in would need to be changed. This is an easy process but you might want to bring the new plug with you instead of looking for them.

Regards, Ring

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Is a 60 watt bulb brighter/less bright in 110/120 VAC compaired to 220/240 VAC?

Most chandelers are hard wired into to ceiling box with no plug needed. Table and desk lamps that plug in would need to be changed. This is an easy process but you might want to bring the new plug with you instead of looking for them.

Regards, Ring

A 60w 110v bulb is the same brightness as a 60w 240v bulb but swap the voltages and you get a different effect.

Some chandeliers do have a plug to assist in removal for cleaning it really depends on the size. some even have a retracting lead that allows them to be lowered to floor level without disconnect. However I am not sure the OP is talking about these.....!

Skippy1

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A 60w 110v bulb is the same brightness as a 60w 240v bulb but swap the voltages and you get a different effect.

Some chandeliers do have a plug to assist in removal for cleaning it really depends on the size. some even have a retracting lead that allows them to be lowered to floor level without disconnect. However I am not sure the OP is talking about these.....!

Skippy1

I think that we have worked out the voltage and possible installations.

You CAN find most items that you want if you a willing compromise. If not... shipping should not be a problem IF the item is packed and labled properly. I have small boxes/items FedXed all the time and have never had a problem. I had one item over 150 lbs and that was not a problem.

Cost of shipping and customs should be considered as necessary. It depends on the person.

Regards, Ringo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Forget the wattage/voltage etc - the REAL question is are the bulbs screw or bayonet fittings - if they're bayonet forget it as i've only seen screw-type bulbs here

You are a little late and you are not correct.

Ringo

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks in advance!

Tish

The UK uses 220, so your bulbs will be very dim unless you change them over as stated. you might want to check the manufacture for your lamp just to make sure there is no bulit in transformer. you can just buy a voltage converter as well, but that is really for going from 110-220 not the other way.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The UK uses 220, so your bulbs will be very dim unless you change them over as stated. you might want to check the manufacture for your lamp just to make sure there is no bulit in transformer. you can just buy a voltage converter as well, but that is really for going from 110-220 not the other way.

Is it common to have a built in transformer in common light fixtures in the UK? Voltage converters are a little expensive. Just change the bulb or if really needed, the socket.

Regards, Ringo

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As a general rule, high(er) voltage items (for the same wattage) will have a smaller diameter (cross section) wiring than the low(er) voltage fixture. So, it's not a very good idea to run fixtures designed for 220/240V on 110/120V trying to get the same wattage as wires may overheat.

Secondly, using incandescent bulbs is quickly running out of fashion... especially if you need to keep your monthly power bill under the 700kW whack rate. Using imported bulbs you can't commonly get around here will soon lead to disenchantment, as there would and will be more important things you will pay a lot to have imported.

You would also not insist on keeping on driving on the wrong side of the street (although many locals seem to find that funny), now would you? :cheeky:

Short... I wouldn't do it unless really necessary or that you could re-wire the chandeliers easily and have common screw sockets fitted.

... J-D.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
As a general rule, high(er) voltage items (for the same wattage) will have a smaller diameter (cross section) wiring than the low(er) voltage fixture. So, it's not a very good idea to run fixtures designed for 220/240V on 110/120V trying to get the same wattage as wires may overheat.

... J-D.

That was my take on it as well JD - yes possibly compatible but not advisable, hence my saying ask an electrician for advice.

There are plenty of chandeliers available in the DR as Lambada has correctly pointed out - they love a bit of bling and chintz - the shipping costs from the UK would have been prohibitive I would have thought?

Rio - with my respectable head on....:glasses:

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
110V / 220V verses 240V

In a nutshell - It just doesn't work.

With a UK bulb you need a blast of 240v down one pole (live). To get 220v here they basically send two phases of 110v to each pole, this has no effect whatsoever on a UK bulb. So the only alternative is "normal" 110v and then the bulbs will be about as bright as Rocky on New Years Day.

Furthermore, despite words to the contrary bayonette fittings are as rare as rocking horse sh!t.

Anyway, by the time it's all cleared customs the new Ikea in Santo Domingo will have opened.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
IKEA in Santo Domingo is due to open next year?

Thanks for all your advise. I don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to electricity/volts/wattages. It's all a little confusing! I think I'll wait and buy in Santo Domingo. I hadn't realised they were building one there.

Tish

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
In my experiences of Ikea UK in the past, all their light fittings used edison screw type bulbs, the only bulbs you can get here. The wiring on them was pretty beefy too, so I am assuming that Ikea manufactured them for all world markets and voltages. (Although not the transformer type lights with the 12v halogens-they will not work here on 110v)

Considering Ikea are masters pf packaging I'm guessing these chandeliers will come flat packed and in kit form. Also they will be substantially cheaper than anything you can buy here.

So I say, put them in your suitcase and go for it!

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Mmmm....

Actually, the ones i'm thinking about buying are only ?8.99. You can't really go wrong for that price. That's it! I'm buy them and taking them on board as hand luggage.

I'll let you know what happens when I return in July.