spelling bee

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
After seeing the final round of the recent US spelling bee, I wondered how popular they are in a spanish speaking world considering that spanish is such a phonetic language. Aside from confusing an s for a z or ll for y, Its pretty much spelled as it sounds. Don't get me started on the insanity of english spelling. I am curious if any of you educated in spanish speaking primary schools ever entered a spelling bee.

Steve

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You forget b for v, s for c...but that is all...no way you can have a real spelling bee in Spanish!!

HB

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I am curious if any of you educated in spanish speaking primary schools ever entered a spelling bee. Steve

Never heard of it whie in the DR.

Other problems:
1. Letter h (Since it is silent, there is a tendency to leave it out, or place it where it does not belong.)
2. The accent mark
3. m before p & b
4. The di?resis

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
After reading the article posted by Chirimoya, I searched for more information and found the following:

El Concurso Nacional Primer/ Primera Estudiante de Ortograf?a ( La Vida - El Concurso Nacional Primer/ Primera Estudiante de Ortografía)

This contest has been going on for 8 years.
Interesting:
Inform? que uno de los prop?sitos de este concurso es fortalecer las capacidades para la comunicaci?n escrita, mediante el uso creativo del vocabulario y la ortograf?a, adem?s de fomentar el h?bito por la lectura, la habilidad en la escritura y contribuir significativamente a la defensa y cultivo del idioma para cuidar y preservar la pureza del mismo.

Although the Spanish language does not present the challenge English does, today, more than ever before, there is room for such a contest due to the pressure exerted upon the language by outside forces (i.e.:Spanglish).

From this post, I would like to say to President Leonel Fern?ndez (and I like the guy) to contribute to the objective set by the Department of Education; his "E' pa 'lante que vamo" message will only moves us backwards.

Norma

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Concurso de ortografia. I was wondering how to say spelling bee. Thanks for the insights. The article was interesting and that the winner attended private catholic school.

The finals of this "english" spelling bee were nearly 100 percent borrowed foreign words from french, german, russian, arabic and many advanced scienific and biological terms derived from greek and latin. There was one spanish word (some form of ceviche). The contestant seemed to be stymied until she
learned it was of spanish origin. The expert commentator even said that was her big clue. "Just spell it like it sounds" and she correctly spelled the word.

Steve

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Spelling in Spanish does present some challenges-

Although spelling in Spanish is simpler and easy when compared to many other languages and sister romance languages specifically, it still creates its fair share of problems for many who do not spell well in Spanish. IMO, the reason for difficulty in spelling in Spanish is due to the lack of proper fundamental teaching in the primary grades that's never addressed and rectified as the student progresses in the primary grades at school. As well, lack of regular reading is often overlooked but it is one of the most crucial reasons why spelling is a challenge for many students.

Spelling in Spanish is phonetically based therefore it eliminates more than fifty percent of potential difficulties IMO. The other problematic areas of confusion is between letters that carry the same or similar phonetic sounds, knowing which consonants can be doubled in Spanish and accentuation. Once these basic concepts are understood it's very hard to spell incorrectly in Spanish. Typographical errors are not included. A factor that should not be overlooked that greatly interferes with spelling is colloquial or popular speech. A speaker can choose to speak according to his/her level or preference but when colloquial speech impacts one's spelling that's when there's a problem. A good example is the dropping of the /s/. Many speakers write without /s/ when there's a plural form and that's just plain incorrect. There are no exceptions to the rules with plurality where /s/ is required. If the rules are followed spelling in Spanish presents minimal difficulty. The letter /h/ is silent but written when a word has /h/ which is a remnant of Latin and is also a concept in another romance language as well just to compare.

My observations of many common spelling errors in Spanish are:

1. /c/ vs. /s/- amorcito and not amorsito- this diminutive ending is often mispelt.

b./z/ and /s/ - these letters are often confused

2. /j/ vs. /g/- tarjeta is correct and not targeta, viaje and not viage

3. /b/ vs. /v/- vamos and not bamos

4/ doubling of consonants that should not be doubled- mostly by second language or bilingual speakers- gg, ss, tt etc. do not exist in Spanish.

5/ ay vs. hay- many people don?t know the difference between the two words

Accents

Accentuation poses a problem probably because the rules of accentuation are not taught in detail. Memorizing accents can work to a certain extent but what about command forms of verbs with a pronoun? The person who chooses to memorize accented words will be stuck on a test or when writing a formal document that requires marking the accents on the words accordingly. For example, damelo would be d?melo but why? Mandamelo would be m?ndamelo buy why? Once again proper fundamentals is the key. If one knows the rules, one does not have to guess. As well, I am not sure if students are being taught that the vowels in Spanish are divided into weak and strong categories. This also helps with understanding how to properly add an accent mark to a letter in Spanish.

/A/, /e/ and /o/ are strong vowels/and /i/ and /u/ are weak vowels. A diphthong is combination of two vowels with a unified sound. For example, ciudad (iu is a diphthong. one weak and one strong vowel) but when the diphthong is broken (one weak and one strong vowel or two weak vowels) the accent is placed accordingly to show the required phonetic stress eg. Todav?a, la v?a.

Although spelling is easy in Spanish it presents some difficulties and there are many exceptions. Good reference material is available on spelling in Spanish. It's impossible to discuss all aspects in a thread. Dictionaries also give good explanations about the rules of accentuation in Spanish.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Correction-

Not enough time to edit-

Correction

iu- this dipthong is a combination of two weak vowels.

-LDG.

Accents

/A/, /e/ and /o/ are strong vowels/and /i/ and /u/ are weak vowels. A diphthong is combination of two vowels with a unified sound. For example, ciudad (iu is a diphthong. one weak and one strong vowel) ...

-LDG.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
rolfdog

There is no such thing "spelling bee in Spanish". Spanish is the most phonetic language in the world, so "we" Spanish speaker don't need spelling bee. You read everything the same way is written, and write everything as it is pronounced.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Go to any hot topic on a DR newspaper that allows readers' comments. You will see how easy it is to go wrong with Spanish spelling, not to mention punctuation and reading comprehension, the latter reflected by the number of comments in caps despite the express request to refrain from doing so.

Apagón telefónico afectó cinco provincias de la región Este
que es los qu pasa con esa conpa?ia que estan con tanta falla y dique es la mejor conpa?ia mi celular es de tricon y mientra las otra estan dando ploblema el mio funciona perfetamente

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
My dear I know quiet well about this.......;)
?Ola, Idalgo!

Lesley, the rules of accentuation is something I mastered in the 5th grade in the DR. I don't know if it still is, but the curriculum was very strong in grammatical concepts.

Norma

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
rolfdog

There is no such thing "spelling bee in Spanish". Spanish is the most phonetic language in the world, so "we" Spanish speaker don't need spelling bee. You read everything the same way is written, and write everything as it is pronounced.

Please read entries 4 & 6.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Good example Chiri. Another facet with misspelling in the DR is the tendency to not separate words and spell them as one word. It is evident in your example. My ex-novia did that a lot, along with handwriting that appeared to be penned by a second grader. Of course it is due to lack of education and
lack of reading.

As a side note, a bartender in the DR wanted me to help him with his english.
I happened to have my spanish/english dictionary with me and showed it to him. I explained we use similar words. After perusing the english portion, he rolled his eyes and returned my dictionary. He said he could not read the words. After some discussion, he said could read some spanish. I looked at the english with him to help. What he thought was english was actually the phonetic pronunciation in parentheses. After clarification, he started to read some english!!

Status
Not open for further replies.