Long Family Trip to Oasis Hamaca

Just D

Jun 2, 2008
HI

I'm going to the Dominican Republic for three weeks for work and am dragging the family along (wife and four small-ish kids). We're pretty easy going and the family plans on just hanging out by the beach during the day. Anyone have any suggestions to keep them busy during the day?

I'd like some suggestions for weekend trips if anyone could help. I read something about swimming with dolphins on the north shore that could be fun for an overnight trip. Anything else?

Also, I'm going to rent a car and drive around. Is that safe enough? Any tips? How long should I plan on my daily commute to the city center?

I've reviewed the past threads and seem confident in the hotel and the area just looking for a few details. THANKS

-David

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Dave welcome to DR1. There is plenty to do in the area. A trip to the Colonial Zone is a must although my kids did get a little restless. Still a fun thing to do. There are nice restaurants in the area too. Being that you have kids a trip to Aqua Slash would be fun. Right across the street is the Aqurium. I've never been ther though. You wont have a hard time driving in the DR but being that your a newbie I wouldn't drive at night. Your commute is probably 35-40 minutes sometimes more depending on the traffic and what time your doing your traveling. I've stayed at the Hamaca it's not bad. It is a typical All Inclusive. When are you going to be there? I'm going to be in Boca Chica the last two weeks of August with the family. Take care Jim

Just D

Jun 2, 2008
I do remember seeing the water park and aquarium near my hotel the last time I was down, that's a great idea!

I'll be there for a quick trip next week (June 9-11) and then we all go down on June 14 through July 6th...

-David

Just D

Jun 2, 2008
Another thing...

We travel a little tech heavy (laptops, ipods, cameras, phones). Should we be concerned about leaving this stuff in the room? I've read about some theft. Would it be better locked in the car? How large are the room safes?

-David

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i would be wary about all these electronics, a lot of things have been stolen from the hotels/resorts so be real careful where you leave things. maybe bury it in your luggage if you are not going to use them! better safe than sorry! :eek:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
note to self, do not leave ANYTHING locked in a car....people really dont give a damn and will try to steal it. NOTE the safes in the resort are tiny....you cant hide anything in there....LOL