The rant thread

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Many of we foreigners have moved to this beautiful country for one reason or another. There may be things that we miss from our home countries and things that we don't. For me, as a well seasoned traveller I can't think of anywhere else in the world I would rather live than here.....But it's not all rosy all the time!

Here's your opportunity to vent your spleen and get your frustrations out in the open. What really pushes your buttons about this place? Maybe it's something trivial like there is no change in this country (as in coins or small notes). Or that it is impossible to find a working ATM on a Sunday evening! Generalisations are welcome.

If you have grown up in a western country, to adapt to life here, you have to learn about tolerance, and a lot of it.

But are you secretly seething underneath it all?

Let the fun begin and let's see!:eek:gre:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why does it have to rain right after I wash my car?
It happens every time, without exception.
I know for a fact that it didn't rain every time, back in Canada, because sometimes it was snow.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I can get used to all the usual things that are just niggles really but the one thing that really drives me crazy is blackouts.........
I will never get used to them. They always happen at the worst possible times and make life a misery unless you have alternatives sources of supply.

Skippy1

J

John Evans

people riding motorbikes with no lights dressed in black

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I don't live there yet...but my 2 cents

The fact that in Sajoma, EVERYTHING closes between 12 and 2:30pm and to just get a Pepsi you have to walk all the way to El Rancho restaurant even though you stay right across the street from the colmado!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Why does it have to rain right after I wash my car?
It happens every time, without exception.
I know for a fact that it didn't rain every time, back in Canada, because sometimes it was snow.

Same thing happens to me in NY ALL the time, go figure!!!

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
Gringos whinging. :)
LOL that's a good one!

The fact that in Sajoma, EVERYTHING closes between 12 and 2:30pm and to just get a Pepsi you have to walk all the way to El Rancho restaurant even though you stay right across the street from the colmado!
I love that about Las Terrenas, plenty of shops close for the siesta.
I just make sure I buy all my stuffs during their working hours, it's so simple and it works!

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
lets help them!

Oh Man! I been here a little more than a year now and I am pretty much stuck here because of my disability. I can't stand how the people drive here, there is no respect for the law nor each other. My wife had a very bad car crash 2 weeks ago and we lost our car not to mention much more. the hospitals are a total joke!! they could care less about you and all they want is money. in the states its care first and you can pay 20 years later as long as you make payments. The police here do not enforce the law either and I only wish that I could be a part of the force here. just imagine this, the cops do there job, give out tickets hold people to their actions of violations and behold, this country would have so much money perhaps they could afford to create welfare here and to fix the crappy roads we are forced to drive on, so pay the police what they should get paid. the economy would be so much better not to mention our safety as well. Also, the Internet service is really bad, i have tricom and not only do i lose my service when it rains out, but i have to pay for 1mb ps just to get 512. they lack customer service here!!! I just had the most horrible experience at plaza lama with my in law. the sofa she wanted was only 17,000 and she asked to have one delivered. the one they wanted to give her was the floor model. the floor model!!!! she asked for a new one because this floor model was dirty etc. the salesperson got an attitude and told her there is nothing wrong with it bla bla bla. i told her to seek out the supervisor, so a long story short, she took the floor model and saved 2,000 off the price, but of course the salesperson she was talking too said the price is the price. who buys a floor model is my point! they think people will buy their so called new items at the list price and they do not stock any furniture in their warehouse, so we were told. Its mind blowing for me, because we all know that in the states, they really kiss our butts to make their sales, not to mention the service is always there. It's just a damn shame that the people here do not realize what this country can really become. The perfect example is with the police. they would increase this economy by 100 times if they just gave out tickets. I only wish that i could help to educate them in someway, but how do you get the government here to listen to us outsiders? any thoughts on this and i would love to be apart of it for sure. Also, where is the help for these people?? I see many people young and old out on the streets, no food, no clothes, with baby's begging for money. I have so many ideas what they can do to help, but who can we talk to?? these are probably my worst gripes since i been here, besides the blackouts as another member answered too as well.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Oh Man! I been here a little more than a year now and I am pretty much stuck here because of my disability. I can't stand how the people drive here, there is no respect for the law nor each other. My wife had a very bad car crash 2 weeks ago and we lost our car not to mention much more. the hospitals are a total joke!! they could care less about you and all they want is money. in the states its care first and you can pay 20 years later as long as you make payments. The police here do not enforce the law either and I only wish that I could be a part of the force here. just imagine this, the cops do there job, give out tickets hold people to their actions of violations and behold, this country would have so much money perhaps they could afford to create welfare here and to fix the crappy roads we are forced to drive on, so pay the police what they should get paid. the economy would be so much better not to mention our safety as well. Also, the Internet service is really bad, i have tricom and not only do i lose my service when it rains out, but i have to pay for 1mb ps just to get 512. they lack customer service here!!! I just had the most horrible experience at plaza lama with my in law. the sofa she wanted was only 17,000 and she asked to have one delivered. the one they wanted to give her was the floor model. the floor model!!!! she asked for a new one because this floor model was dirty etc. the salesperson got an attitude and told her there is nothing wrong with it bla bla bla. i told her to seek out the supervisor, so a long story short, she took the floor model and saved 2,000 off the price, but of course the salesperson she was talking too said the price is the price. who buys a floor model is my point! they think people will buy their so called new items at the list price and they do not stock any furniture in their warehouse, so we were told. Its mind blowing for me, because we all know that in the states, they really kiss our butts to make their sales, not to mention the service is always there. It's just a damn shame that the people here do not realize what this country can really become. The perfect example is with the police. they would increase this economy by 100 times if they just gave out tickets. I only wish that i could help to educate them in someway, but how do you get the government here to listen to us outsiders? any thoughts on this and i would love to be apart of it for sure. Also, where is the help for these people?? I see many people young and old out on the streets, no food, no clothes, with baby's begging for money. I have so many ideas what they can do to help, but who can we talk to?? these are probably my worst gripes since i been here, besides the blackouts as another member answered too as well.

Did you forget anything.........:cheeky:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why don't you tell us how you really feel.
I mean, don't hold back...
BTW; How long a sentence did you get when you were banished to this island.
Are you almost up for parole yet?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Why is it that the only time the bomba/water goes out is just after I put the shampoo in what little hair I have left???

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

Nooooo don't complain about that??????? that's one of the beauties of the small pueblos, i believe in Santiago that's all gone.

I don't live there but one thing that scares me is the cars without brake lights, yikes!!!!!:surprised

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When I'm in a hurry I can't stand it when people stick the noses of their car directly into my path - I'm lucky I haven't taken the front off of somebody's car yet.

Solution - don't get in a hurry and the good news is I'm almost "there". What certainly helps is that other that medical emergencies or plane flights, being late here for whatever is acceptable and even the norm.

Also, on a milder note, why is it many times if you want to buy a large quantity of stuff at the store, that the price is actually higher? It is exactly the opposite of what you see everywhere else. I've figured that the store owners figure if you have the cash to buy the larger size that you should pay a premium for it - I guess they never graduated from common sense 101, oh well.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Nooooo don't complain about that??????? that's one of the beauties of the small pueblos, i believe in Santiago that's all gone.

I don't live there but one thing that scares me is the cars without brake lights, yikes!!!!!:surprised

Yes it is...that is unless you still are not accustomed to it...and have a deep rooted addiction to Pepsi!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Carro publico drivers. None of them, without exception, know how to drive with any consideration for other roads users.

Next time I go to the UK I'm going to buy one of those crystal balls from Halfords (UK equivilent to Auto adornos). Then I will be able to see into the future and will be able to tell when that beat up old Toyota Corrolla in front of me, without any semblance to tail lights, does an emergency stop and offloads twenty passengers at a busy junction!

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
In the U.K we have perfect roads , effiicient police ,strict driving laws , wow what am I doing living here ? .One more ticket and I rest from driving , Wow lifes hard here