Generator using LPG

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Have anybody of you used that type of generator ? Good or bad on use ? Thinking about the price of gas against gasoil or gasoline it should be something ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Have anybody of you used that type of generator ? Good or bad on use ? Thinking about the price of gas against gasoil or gasoline it should be something ?
Haven't used one, but my buddy put one into his business and over the years, he had more problems that any generator I have ever seen.
He's the type of guy who buys first quality, so I have to assume that it was a "good" one.
I remember it more broken down than working.
Of course, that's just one machine and may not represent the market, but it was more than enough to scare me off of ever buying one.
I think that diesel's the way to go, if it's a big machine.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Hello.. From another forum I belong to: cngchat.com

I found this below about a CNG generator:

"Start with your generator its the only way to go. never have to fill the tank. Its easiest to do. The pressure , as I understand it, will be about 10 psi in the gas line and regulated down to about .5 psi. Check out IMPCO Technologies "

"On the generator , I would try uscarb Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas. . I have a tri fuel (gasoline ,cng ,propane) generator from them, and they can sell you a kit for almost any generator or other stationary or portable equipment engine. "

Good Luck... I plan on running CNG on everything I own when I go and move to D.R... say in about 5 years or so..

Richie..

TheHun

May 4, 2008
M

I using my 8KW generator with a Honda engine, and it is running perfect. I guess it depends on the quality of the conversation and parts. Mine is a Tri-Fuel system, converted to use propane (from tank), natural gas, and still can run it on fuel. The conversion cost about $ 300 with the connections and pressure regulators.
The conversation was done in the US by a company located in West Virginia, I think their name is US Carburetion .
I can look up their info if you would like. They sell an adapter that mounts between the carburetor and air filter housing, or you can send in the carburetor and they will modify it ( minor thing) , this way you do not have to use the adapter. I did the latest. The cost about the same.
I'm planning to move mine to the DR if I can ever get there.

TheHun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
"Start with your generator its the only way to go. never have to fill the tank. Its easiest to do. The pressure , as I understand it, will be about 10 psi in the gas line and regulated down to about .5 psi. Check out IMPCO Technologies "

Yes, that's the one I have! I'd recommend it to anyone. I have seen lately most commercial lawn movers are comes with propane. They are equipped with fork lift propane tanks.
Does natural gas ( not the propane, but the pipeline) readily available anywhere in the DR?? Perhaps in Puerto Plata area??

TheHun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Wrong quote

:surprised Sorry, I meant to quote this:

"On the generator , I would try uscarb Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas. . I have a tri fuel (gasoline ,cng ,propane) generator from them, and they can sell you a kit for almost any generator or other stationary or portable equipment engine. "

THIS is the one that I have.

TheHun

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Maybe the way to do this is to ask for anyone who is now using a propane generator in this country.
Then find out what they have, how long they have had it, what advantages and disadvantages they have noticed in the time of ownership, etc.
If you find that virtually nobody uses them, there must be a good reason.
if you find that lots of folks have them and are satisfied then proceed with the plan.
In other words, don't be the guinea pig.
Find out from those who took the chance, and make your decision accordingly.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe the way to do this is to ask for anyone who is now using a propane generator in this country.
Then find out what they have, how long they have had it, what advantages and disadvantages they have noticed in the time of ownership, etc.
If you find that virtually nobody uses them, there must be a good reason.
if you find that lots of folks have them and are satisfied then proceed with the plan.
In other words, don't be the guinea pig.
Find out from those who took the chance, and make your decision accordingly.
Not here, but in the FL Hurricane Zone, I had a 16kw Generac propane whole-house genset that ran flawlessly for years. It used .7gal an hour at full power.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not here, but in the FL Hurricane Zone, I had a 16kw Generac propane whole-house genset that ran flawlessly for years. It used .7gal an hour at full power.
That certainly is useful input, but I hesitate to go by that.
Sometimes the DR is like the Twilight Zone, and things don't quite work the same as elsewhere, like rechargeable power tools, that are ever so popular and reliable in the US, yet seem to be constantly screwed up, here in the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That certainly is useful input, but I hesitate to go by that.
Sometimes the DR is like the Twilight Zone, and things don't quite work the same as elsewhere, like rechargeable power tools, that are ever so popular and reliable in the US, yet seem to be constantly screwed up, here in the DR.
I understand. The genset I mention is totally self contained in a big metal box. The transfer switch is included. All that was necessary is to attach an LPG tank (I had 2 buried 220gal tanks with a valve between them) and install the transfer switch to the main circuit breaker box, and you're in business. I did most of the install myself, so even a blind monkey could do it. The manuals included are excellent.

This is what mine looked like:
3_5244.jpg

My total cost in the US, including permits, was under $8,000. It ran my entire house if necessary, including 3 ton a/c, hot water, lights, fridge, everything.

I lived without power for 8 days in August after a hurricane. never again.

BTW-mine was "tri-fuel"; gasoline, LPG or CNG. I chose LPG.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My neighbor uses one, looks like a car engine converted to generator. it seems like what cobraboy is showing in his post. Its quiet and automatic, meaning; starts automatically when lights go out. It was an american guy who sells it in USA installed it for him. he brought all the equipment from usa and installed it himself. he modified it to put in a locally made muffler. The machine is quiet and often i don't even notice its turned on. My neighbor has been using it for 3 years without an any problems. I guess he maintains it well.
AZB

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Rocky, that was my whole idea to ask if someone here is using it and how much it would cost to use it with LPG . Now we have 6 kW Kubota diesel broken and need to deside what to do next

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, that was my whole idea to ask if someone here is using it and how much it would cost to use it with LPG . Now we have 6 kW Kubota diesel broken and need to deside what to do next
Makes sense.
There seems to be a lot of positive feedback, and I admit that I'm soured from the experiences my friend had with his.
I expect that the responses you are getting here are enough to make you go ahead with your plan to convert.
I wish you all the luck and success with it.
You know that I wouldn't do it, but I'm getting old and less willing to take chances.
Diesel systems are well proven, and that's what I would purchase, if I wanted a big machine.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In my travels I came across a few propane gensets. Feedback that I got from various hosts in various countries, is that they work well. The best is that they are so nice and quiet.