question about medical system on the NorthCost

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincyo

Jan 5, 2006
Magog, Quebec, Canada
hi, i am a member of a Fondation called Avatara. We are getting ready to send a container of stuff for children mostly on the north cost, clothes, school supplies, sport equipment, computers, ect...
But something came up, i work for a medical equipments company, i install ceiling track system, use to lift a patient and transport him from point A to point B. Some people at work heard about the fondation and told me that the company would be interested in donating track+motors. It could be sent with our stuff this summer or fall.

The reason i post here is to know your opinion. Would it be useful over there, if yes where would be a good option for the donation.

thanks

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Who is handling your present container load of donations as it would be best for them to co-ordinate the whole package really. I could suggest the Public Hospital in Puerto Plata (the clinics here can afford to buy their own on the prices they charge patients & insurance companies!!) or the foundation Rehabilitation clinic alongside the public hospital.

How about The Mustard Seed foundation (do a search on this forum for 'Mustard Seed') as they have lots of disabled children who they look after. I have seen them often up at the rehabilitation centre (foundation) mentioned above. I think they would be a deserving cause for much of your stuff & CERTAINLY for anything medically biased!!

If you do not have anyone handling the container yet, let me know & I'll make sure that load of goodies finds good & deserving homes!! :cheeky::bunny::bunny::bunny: ~ Grahame.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
On the subject of Mustard Seed, there is a real need not only for the system you mention, but also for physical therapy equipment. I have a list if you are interested.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
A note of caution....

hi, i am a member of a Fondation called Avatara. We are getting ready to send a container of stuff for children mostly on the north cost, clothes, school supplies, sport equipment, computers, ect...
But something came up, i work for a medical equipments company, i install ceiling track system, use to lift a patient and transport him from point A to point B. Some people at work heard about the fondation and told me that the company would be interested in donating track+motors. It could be sent with our stuff this summer or fall.

The reason i post here is to know your opinion. Would it be useful over there, if yes where would be a good option for the donation.

thanks

Hi vincyo,
Brilliant re the container of stuff.
As to the ceiling track - in a former life I worked as a distribution manager for a company which supplied and fitted the same stuff. IMHO - IF the buildings were strong and stable enough to support the system, which I doubt very much, you would have a problem with maintenence, repairs and training the staff in it's use I am afraid. The hoists would "disappear" along with anything else that wasn't screwed up or down - and even then I expect it would walk!
A marvellous gesture, but impractical dare I suggest?
Rio

vincyo

Jan 5, 2006
Magog, Quebec, Canada
Most of the stuff is going to the school in Los Algodones, and another school in Santo Domingo. But we are still collecting stuff from school here in canada and could end up with extra stuff.

For the ceiling track Rio, bring a good point, is the concrete good enough quality to support the system. Training and maintenance are others issues.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Imho

Most of the stuff is going to the school in Los Algodones, and another school in Santo Domingo. But we are still collecting stuff from school here in canada and could end up with extra stuff.

For the ceiling track Rio, bring a good point, is the concrete good enough quality to support the system. Training and maintenance are others issues.

I honestly don't think so - having seen how the buildings crumble away and fall down at times, many are far from being structurally sound.

Rio

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As to the ceiling track - IMHO - IF the buildings were strong and stable enough to support the system, which I doubt very much, you would have a problem with maintenence, repairs and training the staff in it's use I am afraid. The hoists would "disappear" along with anything else that wasn't screwed up or down - and even then I expect it would walk!
A marvellous gesture, but impractical dare I suggest?
Rio
Your point is just & well taken Rio - Dominican run establishments might NOT be the best location for the track pulleys etc. I DO think however that something like 'The Mustard Seed' organisation would be benefit from such a unit (or two or three or ......) because the management team is more CARE orientated to it's patients because they have been Canadian/American/European trained. They also have external to this country management involvement who would INSIST on proper investigation & then modifications made to ensure the tracks are servicable & safe AND BOLTED DOWN so as to be non removeable by light fingered personnel!!

Keep the thought going please vincyo!! ~ Grahame.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Talk to me...I am Treasurer of their Board of Directors!

Status
Not open for further replies.