Codetel DNS Problems

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've been getting a ton of DNS messages lately. Does anyone have an IP to a good DNS server? I'm on the Codetel default.

TIA

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've been getting a ton of DNS messages lately. Does anyone have an IP to a good DNS server? I'm on the Codetel default.

TIA
When you say the Codetel default, do you mean a set of specific numbers, or just "obtain automatic"? (left blank)
I've been running on "obtain automatic" here and never get the messages, that you speak of.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008

The above are for CODETEL. But through my wireless router I too have been using the OPENDNS, it is a great free service.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When you say the Codetel default, do you mean a set of specific numbers, or just "obtain automatic"? (left blank)
I've been running on "obtain automatic" here and never get the messages, that you speak of.
Yup. Obtain automatically. I get DNS problems quite often here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yup. Obtain automatically. I get DNS problems quite often here.
I wonder why that is.
If I'm not getting them here and you do, then there is clearly something different at your end, and I don't mean at your house, I mean the local distribution station.
It might be equipment differences, but I bet it's not.
10 to 1 says that some bumble brain entered a wrong code somewhere, or forgot to set something right.
Not much you can do about it, unless those numbers posted by Robert, help out.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I wonder why that is.
If I'm not getting them here and you do, then there is clearly something different at your end, and I don't mean at your house, I mean the local distribution station.
It might be equipment differences, but I bet it's not.
10 to 1 says that some bumble brain entered a wrong code somewhere, or forgot to set something right.
Not much you can do about it, unless those numbers posted by Robert, help out.
I'm going to use the settings he suggested. Ironically, when I first clicked that link, I got another DNS failure...:cheeky:

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Code:
http://208.67.219.60/

This takes you to the OPENDNS status page.............their reliability is great.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

The above are for CODETEL. But through my wireless router I too have been using the OPENDNS, it is a great free service.
A Codetel geek (Alida's nephew) gave me those, too, and so far they work great!

BradM

Sep 6, 2007
I have noticed the same problems with the Codetel DNS servers. It seems to be a timeout issue where they fail to respond within the timeout period, and hence the DNS error messages. The really strange thing is it seems to work fine for some, and not for others, even on the same network at the same time. I am unable to explain why some have the problem and some don't, it's very strange indeed. My solution was to put up my own DNS server and that did fix all the problems. I may look at OpenDNS for reliability reasons, and their stats feature looks pretty good.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Open DNS is the ticket. If you do not like it just switch back.