car parts

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
hello dr1's now that my wife is better, I need to focus on getting her car back on the road, so here's a shout out to anyone who knows some parts places. you folks have been really supportive through all of this and i feel that we can depend on you all the time, so i hope somebody can get us in the right direction. i will not be going with her to any parts store since i know that the price will increase by at least 50% once they see me, so this post is really for her. she has a 93 mitsubishi lance, it needs the following:

windshield
R/H fender
front bumper cover
core support/radiator support-in the parts business its called a rad support, but this is the part that the headlamps goes into and also supports the radiator etc.
A/C condenser
P/S hoses-pressure and return
coolant bottle
R/H Headlamp
L/H Headlamp
R/H parking lamp
L/H parking lamp
hood
hood latch
hood latch support
Transmission mount
both fans
possible headlamp harness-or i could just hard wire one up.
Front Grille
Hood rod/holder
L/R fender skirts
and some place where they can check the frame and pull it straight if required
this car really got slammed and we are on our own. some of you know the story and to top it off, they say my wife was at fault. the other driver blew the stop sign, my wife had the right of way and of course was not expecting anyone since there is a stop sign there. add this to the rant thread! nobody stops!! so here we are with no funds, we had to pay for her hospital bill that included an MRI and now the car. listen, thanks for any help once again, Anthony

we live in the capital of santo domingo called qesqeua, close to 27, churchill, nunez, etc.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
If you're not going with her, then get a dominican man to go with her, relative or friend because trust me, and I say this from experience, unless she really knows about cars they're gonna take advantage of the fact that she's a woman just like they would w/ a gringo.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
If you're not going with her, then get a dominican man to go with her, relative or friend because trust me, and I say this from experience, unless she really knows about cars they're gonna take advantage of the fact that she's a woman just like they would w/ a gringo.

thanks pop, i think i remember that you metion this before and i have someone who will go with her. i was not ready at the time for fixing the car, but i'm ready now. if you can tell me the place you had mentioned before, i would appreciate it. I'm going to write all the replys down, than do some price checking etc. thanks again, Ant

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
100% correct.
They likely would try to rip off a woman even more than a male gringo.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
hello dr1's now that my wife is better, I need to focus on getting her car back on the road, so here's a shout out to anyone who knows some parts places. you folks have been really supportive through all of this and i feel that we can depend on you all the time, so i hope somebody can get us in the right direction. i will not be going with her to any parts store since i know that the price will increase by at least 50% once they see me, so this post is really for her. she has a 93 mitsubishi lance, it needs the following:

windshield
R/H fender
front bumper cover
core support/radiator support-in the parts business its called a rad support, but this is the part that the headlamps goes into and also supports the radiator etc.
A/C condenser
P/S hoses-pressure and return
coolant bottle
R/H Headlamp
L/H Headlamp
R/H parking lamp
L/H parking lamp
hood
hood latch
hood latch support
Transmission mount
both fans
possible headlamp harness-or i could just hard wire one up.
Front Grille
Hood rod/holder
L/R fender skirts
and some place where they can check the frame and pull it straight if required
this car really got slammed and we are on our own. some of you know the story and to top it off, they say my wife was at fault. the other driver blew the stop sign, my wife had the right of way and of course was not expecting anyone since there is a stop sign there. add this to the rant thread! nobody stops!! so here we are with no funds, we had to pay for her hospital bill that included an MRI and now the car. listen, thanks for any help once again, Anthony

we live in the capital of santo domingo called qesqeua, close to 27, churchill, nunez, etc.
This is probably a very silly question Anthony but why di YOU need to get these items? Will you be doing the repair work yourself or get a Mechanic to do it for you?
If the latter, why not get HIM to price the job up for you INCLUDING getting all the parts? He will know the cheapest Auto Repuestos places & might even know where they are available via a scrap car place in Sto Dgo!! A decent mechanic will also know what (cheaper) versions are available so as to keep costs down. Befriend a mechanic quickly if you don't already have one. Befriend a few knowledgable people in your area to so that THEY can give you the advice you are asking us for. Not many of us live near you & as a result we are not the best people to advise you. You need someone who knows someone who has a friend ............ you KNOW how it works here don't you?

If you are going to be doing the job yourself so as to keep costs down - that is another story & you need to check Yellow pages (paginas Amarillo) for Auto Repuestos places near you!! ~ Grahame.

Feb 7, 2007
Start off at Maria Montes, Moca, and La 20 (Marcos Ruiz)
These streets are in Villa Juana. MariaM and Moca are parallel to M.Gomez, La 20 crosses Moca 2 blocks north of Americo Lugo (the start of cemetery).

There are a lots of stores that cater to Mitsubishi. They sell both used and new parts. Many times you are better off buying a used original part than new replacement part.
I would also suggest you look up under Auto-Repuestos the stores that sell Mitsubishi parts. Call them up first to investigate the prices. That way you will have an idea of what costs how much. And they cannot see your gringo face (... well that holds true only if your Spanish is very good).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why would you try putting together a POS car? If you need ALL thise parts, it's a junker to begin with.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why would you try putting together a POS car? If you need ALL thise parts, it's a junker to begin with.
I wasn't going to say anything, but I have to agree that it really sounds like a junker, and I consider it putting good money in after bad money.
I guesstimate the value of the car in excellent condition, to be a bit less than 100k pesos.
I can't see spending much more than 5 or 10k to get it back on the road.
It just doesn't make sense financially.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Do you have a good mechanic you can trust? I can recommend you mine (works on San Martin close to Maximo Gomez) and he'll be able to get you the pieces and won't last a year with the car. Just to give you an idea, I have a 1999 Peugeot 206 (not everyone knows how they work) and everytime I need something done, I prefer to go from Punta Cana to SD to get it done. The few times I've had to get something done locally, I've had to go to SD afterwards to fix what they'd fixed... He's even picked up and dropped off my car at a friend's house to avoid my having to pay a taxi and he's never overcharged me. If you decide that it's too much of a headache and would prefer to sell it for part and buy another one, he was just telling me about a few options the other day that he knows about.

PM me if you'd like his number and he'll be able to give you an honest estimate on how much it'll cost and whether or not it's worth it.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
wow! you guys sometimes make me laugh...sometimes ;) lol it's not a junker by any means, but thanks for the thought? lol, yes i plan on doing the work myself. i been in the business for about 15 years with ford motor company before my disability came about. this is nothing compared to some of the crashes i have seen throughout my years in the automotive field. I do agree about having a tech go and get these parts though and that's exactly what i am doing. I know how this country works and thanks again for the warning, so this is why i don't even trust this tech i know ;) i know he will mark these parts up, so I'd rather get some feed back from you folks, than I will have him call, get the prices. after, i'm going to have my wife call and act like she works for the same place and verify the prices. I wish that we could afford to buy another car, but that's out! so we gotta get this one going and again, it's not that bad when you know what your doing. so just keep giving some names of some parts places where we can call and try to get the cheapest prices as possible. it's fine if they are used parts, and i only hope that we can find a capa certified fender, otherwise with the amount of rain and moisture in this country, it will rust out real quick. thanks, Anthony

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
Start off at Maria Montes, Moca, and La 20 (Marcos Ruiz)
These streets are in Villa Juana. MariaM and Moca are parallel to M.Gomez, La 20 crosses Moca 2 blocks north of Americo Lugo (the start of cemetery).

There are a lots of stores that cater to Mitsubishi. They sell both used and new parts. Many times you are better off buying a used original part than new replacement part.
I would also suggest you look up under Auto-Repuestos the stores that sell Mitsubishi parts. Call them up first to investigate the prices. That way you will have an idea of what costs how much. And they cannot see your gringo face (... well that holds true only if your Spanish is very good).

lol, spanglish will not do--- great info! this is a great start and the auto-repuestos specialize with this model? what does repuestos mean? my wife does not know the englsih meaning, and i have past a store about 2 months ago with that name. thanks ;)

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
Repuestos = Parts/Replacement Parts/Carparts

hello Rocky, I'm gonna change my name to either Adrian or bullwinkle--;) thanks for the meaning, now i know--daaaaaa! lol ya think i should put a saleen super charger on this so called pos?? maybe next time the next idiot that runs a stop sign my wife can get the hell out of the way ;) Man, i sure miss my mustang

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hello Rocky, I'm gonna change my name to either Adrian or bullwinkle--;) thanks for the meaning, now i know--daaaaaa! lol ya think i should put a saleen super charger on this so called pos?? maybe next time the next idiot that runs a stop sign my wife can get the hell out of the way ;) Man, i sure miss my mustang
We all wish you the best of luck in getting your wheels back together and would be happy to help in any way we can.
Please do let us know how it all works out.
Regards, Marco.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
We all wish you the best of luck in getting your wheels back together and would be happy to help in any way we can.
Please do let us know how it all works out.
Regards, Marco.

tell me about it, it's very, very hard to get around here without the car. we are just about out of propane now, so my only solution is to cop a ride on one of these motorized bikes/mopeds at best and get some gas. what a life huh? it's going to be a challenge for sure with my back and neck problems, but I'll get it going again. sometimes pain is all in the mind, it must be, i have no pain ;) the only help i could use is to get my hands on some tools. I only have vise grips, some screwdrivers, hammer. although the vise grips are the cats meow, i sure could use a big rubber hammer just to see if i can save the rad support. It's only the 5th, so i need to be very careful on how to spend what little money i have until next month, but if it takes 3-4 months to get this car back on the road, so be it. I'm becoming very fond of you Marco, thanks very much, your always a great help. Anthony & rosangela.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
tell me about it, it's very, very hard to get around here without the car. we are just about out of propane now, so my only solution is to cop a ride on one of these motorized bikes/mopeds at best and get some gas. what a life huh? it's going to be a challenge for sure with my back and neck problems, but I'll get it going again. sometimes pain is all in the mind, it must be, i have no pain ;) the only help i could use is to get my hands on some tools. I only have vise grips, some screwdrivers, hammer. although the vise grips are the cats meow, i sure could use a big rubber hammer just to see if i can save the rad support. It's only the 5th, so i need to be very careful on how to spend what little money i have until next month, but if it takes 3-4 months to get this car back on the road, so be it. I'm becoming very fond of you Marco, thanks very much, your always a great help. Anthony & rosangela.
From here on in, the only way to go is up, and you have clearly acquired some new internet friends who are happy to help with any advice they have, so despite the rough times, I think that things are looking up for you.

I had a hard time adapting to a lot of the quirks here, when I first moved to the DR.
Now, here I am, 17 years later and one of the happiest men on the Planet.
Time fixes a lot of things, like my attitude and previous lack of patience.
Now I'm more relaxed than I have ever been, just enjoying the ride.

rotondon

Aug 16, 2007
Your situation is not funny or someone to try to make you laugh, my advice

you will spend more that what the car is worth as it sounds you will need a front clip, and consider you will have a lot of hidden damage, you will be totally agravated with the project once you start finding the rest of the damage.

collect all info as to cost and your time before putting your labor into it.

my advice if the car is in that bad a shape cut your losses, and try to sell whatever is salvageable.

good luck

rotondon

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
Your situation is not funny or someone to try to make you laugh, my advice

you will spend more that what the car is worth as it sounds you will need a front clip, and consider you will have a lot of hidden damage, you will be totally agravated with the project once you start finding the rest of the damage.

collect all info as to cost and your time before putting your labor into it.

my advice if the car is in that bad a shape cut your losses, and try to sell whatever is salvageable.

good luck

rotondon

hey don, thanks, but as i see it, it will cost about 10,000 pesos. i already started checking on some prices thanks to our fellow members dropping some names. like i said before, i been in the automotive business pretty much my entire life. the job is easy, its the tools i lack. I'll do what i can in trying to save money, thats where the needed tools would come in handy to try and save either the fender or the rad support, but if i need to buy it, than my total will be about 13-15,000 and the car is worth it. We plan on getting it going, use it until we can afford to buy one, or really just for me to apply for my iD here so perhaps i can take out a loan. the cars here seem to be about 25-30% more than the US, just amazing!!! i wish that i could find a 500.00 dollar car someplace, but i guess here in this country, it not heard of for some reason. not a bad idea on a front clip, buy i would spend more money on some of the parts that the car does not need. I'll start tearing it down this Sunday, and hope for no additions that i cannot see, but the lancer is a very simple design, not much too it at all. thanks for the nfo, Anthony

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
From here on in, the only way to go is up, and you have clearly acquired some new internet friends who are happy to help with any advice they have, so despite the rough times, I think that things are looking up for you.

I had a hard time adapting to a lot of the quirks here, when I first moved to the DR.
Now, here I am, 17 years later and one of the happiest men on the Planet.
Time fixes a lot of things, like my attitude and previous lack of patience.
Now I'm more relaxed than I have ever been, just enjoying the ride.

rocky, what can i say, i need to hear this in the worst way as you know. Thanks again brother, it's been hell for me so far, very bad! Anthony

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
I hate to pee on your parade, but you will not fix it for 10 or even 15K pesos.

Not only that, but with the amount of damage you have, you're better off buying the entire front of the car in one piece(more or less)

A friend of mine had a fender bender in a Daihatsu, that barely bent the hood, one front fender, grill, etc.

Parts were 42K alone.

It won't happen.

We won't even get into the cost of transport, which I'm guessing you'll need since you're getting around on a moto. (hmm, maybe a photo op here!)

Best of luck, my friend. Don't shoot the messenger!

No biggie and thanks. we already called around thanks to the feed back from this thread [very helpful] I'm in the ball park for 15,000, but since this will be a long process do to no money, I'm going to replace the fans, rad support, lamps for a total of about 5,000. the rest of the car will get the rubber mallet treatment until i can get the other parts one by one, than if money allows perhaps 6 months later, try and get the car painted or at least blend it in with the rest of the car. I'm starting the tear down tomorrow being Sunday, than it's hammer time. ;)