Spanish lessons near Zona Colonial

Broward

Jul 16, 2007
I done a search but need to narrow down my choices for a Spanish school.
I am looking for a school for those with very minimal Spanish skills who want to learn more conversational Spanish. Would like one where entry level classes begin frequently or every week so I can begin next week.

A few hours a day 4 or 5 days a week around the Colonial Zone.

I remember reading about one where Student teachers were available for beginners. This may work as a class or private lessons. I prefer the classes.

Any suggestions to specific schools?

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Edited - spam. Why is it a great school?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would recommend 2. From what I hear they are reliable, have good teaching methods and a long track record, which is more than can be said of some schools.

iLangDR - Institute of Languages - Dominican Republic

Instituto Intercultural del Caribe (IIC) ? Casa Goethe - Dominican Republic

Avoid posts here that post a link to a school, saying it's the greatest.
Many times these are just spam by the owners. Do your due diligence and try and get info from those that have actually been students at the schools.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
But both those schools are in Sosua. The OP was looking in the Colonial Zone. Any third party recommendations for schools in the capital?

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
I went to one when I just arrived here called Hispaniola in the Zona Colonial. I dont know where they are located now because they have changed location from Calle Hostes. I am not going to claim that it was a great school but it was fun. Later I went to the Dominico-Americano on Lincoln. There you get good value for your money.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
But both those schools are in Sosua. The OP was looking in the Colonial Zone. Any third party recommendations for schools in the capital?

Look at the pages. They have schools in the Colonial Zone and Santo Domingo.

Santo Domingo Address:
Zona Colonial,
207 Padre Billini,
Santo Domingo.

IIC / Casa Goethe Santo Domingo
Aristides Fiallo Cabral # 456
Zona Universitaria
Phone: (809) 685 5826

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Colonial Zone Language School

I'm sorry, did I break some rule? I was just responding for information on language schools in the Colonial Zone.

It is a great school (Hispaniola) because I and almost 6 other people I know have taken classes there. The teachers are very smart and the class sizes are small. The prices were higher than other schools I looked into, but I personally think the school is very good.

I have also taken classes at El Dominico Americano. Good school too (and very reasonable), but for me the teachers at Hispaniola were better trained.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I went to one when I just arrived here called Hispaniola in the Zona Colonial. I dont know where they are located now because they have changed location from Calle Hostes. I am not going to claim that it was a great school but it was fun. Later I went to the Dominico-Americano on Lincoln. There you get good value for your money.

The school is located on Calle Arzobispo Noel almost at the corner of Duarte. Just next to a building called Edificio Read. There you will see a small sign for Hispaniola.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
A couple of years ago I did a course at Hispaniola. It was OK, and especially if you need supervised conversation you'll do fine there. The classes were very small, two or three students, which I guess is a good thing. The teachers are enthusiastic and capable, although clearly part-timers, not career Spanish educators. But then, I gues that will be the case at most language schools.
I can't comment on the other schools.
In general I think the DR is not the most popular place to study Spanish, compared to places like Guatemala, Costa Rica and (obviously) Spain, with much more infrastucture.