Buyer Beware

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Subject: Buying at Playero on highway in Sosua.

Went to buy efficiency bulbs yesterday.
When the cashier got the total of 1,600 pesos and change, she asked me for a 20, I believe, but I had no change.
She grabbed at a large pack of gum, at which point I told her no, that I wanted the change, that I was buying on behalf of some others who had chipped in to help out some poor folks (which was true) and that I needed exact change for our accounting. (also true)
She gave me a dirty look and kept on asking.
It took 3 repeats to convince her that no change was forthcoming out of my pocket and that I was not accepting the gum.
Finally, she called over one of the bosses and explained to him that I insisted on having my change, at which point he started to make change for a 100 pesos, while responding to her, "Well they had better get used to it", in Spanish of course and in reference that we (shoppers) had better get used to accepting gum as change. (clearly, he did not realize that I understood Spanish)
So I strolled out the door where my buddy was reading the bulletin board and was telling him what the dude had just said, when he asked me if they had finished testing the bulbs.
I went back in and the kid was just packing them all up in a plastic bag.
Once outside, I started feeling suspicious and decided to look in the bag and do a count.
In lieu of the 9 bulbs I had paid for, there were only 8.
As I turned around (the exit door was closed) I saw the kid watching me and reach down below the counter, pulling out the one 193 pesos Toshiba bulb, to give to me.
Anyone who thinks that it was just an accident, is dreaming.
He was stealing the bulb for himself, otherwise, he would not have been watching me and already reaching below the counter for it, before I even had a chance to tell him that I was missing one.
This is what we are dealing with at Playero these days, so buyer beware.
They will get you, if given the chance.

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks Rocky.
On many occasions I am such a hurry I don't even count the change. I certainly never would have thought to check the contents of the bags.
Obviously, I will more careful in the future.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The getting gum back as currency change is getting very old. I don't chew gum and I cann't use it as money to pay others. So it has zero value for me.

My wife did have a woman in front of her checking out. When the woman was given the total bill, she counted out gum for the change part of her payment. The cashier would not take it until others in line started to insist also. A manager was called and relented. So now they are using recycled gum for change.

What is the real value of a piece of gum? Exchange rate?

We never leave the counter until everything is bagged and ready to go. Guess we will take a glance under the counter too.

BTW. The number 1 manger is named Nelso and he speaks english.

Regards, Ringo

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The getting gum back as currency change is getting very old. I don't chew gum and I can't use it as money to pay others. So it has zero value for me.

My wife did have a woman in front of her checking out. When the woman was given the total bill, she counted out gum for the change part of her payment. The cashier would not take it until others in line started to insist also. A manager was called and relented. So now they are using recycled gum for change.

What is the real value of a piece of gum? Exchange rate?

We never leave the counter until everything is bagged and ready to go. Guess we will take a glance under the counter too.

BTW. The number 1 manger is named Nelso and he speaks english.

Regards, Ringo
I've learned to tolerate the one or two pieces of gum or candy, but in this case, she was trying to give me a large pack of 20 or so.
I told her she could give me more back, if she was having trouble making exact change.
She looked at me like I was insane.
Of course, it's OK with them, in reverse.
I bet that they make over 100 bux/day, playing the "no change" game with us.
Who knows how much extra the packers make with their sideline biz.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ever since 1? mints were used for change years and years ago, I accept them and then when I go back I use the the candy, gum or mints in payment, just like the above poster said. Turn about is fair play.
This is just poor management in the first place. the banks have plenty of coins.

As for the thievery, that is totally uncalled for and should have been reported forthwith and the person fired on the spot or taken next door to the police station.

HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
and should have been reported forthwith and the person fired on the spot or taken next door to the police station.

HB
You must be only half awake and in need of more coffee.
You are unquestionably the wisest DR1er of them all, and you know the implications of having reported him or, worse yet, made a criminal accusation.
He denies and the next thing I know, I'm the one with problems.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I went back in and the kid was just packing them all up in a plastic bag.
Once outside, I started feeling suspicious and decided to look in the bag and do a count.
In lieu of the 9 bulbs I had paid for, there were only 8.
As I turned around (the exit door was closed) I saw the kid watching me and reach down below the counter, pulling out the one 193 pesos Toshiba bulb, to give to me.
Anyone who thinks that it was just an accident, is dreaming.
He was stealing the bulb for himself, otherwise, he would not have been watching me and already reaching below the counter for it, before I even had a chance to tell him that I was missing one.
This is what we are dealing with at Playero these days, so buyer beware.
They will get you, if given the chance.
Interesting.

Two weeks ago we shopped for groceries @ Jumbo in Las Colinas before heading back to Jarabacoa . Really nice, well organized store. We bought our stuff and went home. When I was unpacking the bags, I found a 1.5lb. package of sliced jamon was absent. I WATCHED them pack the bags. The little weasel must have pulled a fast one, because the jamon was NOT there. I DID notice the guy tied extra-tight knots on the plastic bags, making it really difficult to open and inspect; I'm thinking this is not a coincidence.

I will keep a better eye on the packers. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Marco...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I DID notice the guy tied extra-tight knots on the plastic bags, making it really difficult to open and inspect; I'm thinking this is not a coincidence.
I'm thinking the same.
From now on, I'll be keeping a closer eye on those kids who make the super knots.

Mar 2, 2008
Good eye Cobra.

I'm learning to watch for those little clues in behavior. It's been a tough learning curve, but it's finally sinking in. In many ways it's a good thing. It forces me to be more aware of other people's behavior and what it means.

I don't want to turn into some kind of paranoid nut, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be a tad suspicious, and to pay attention to your instincts.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Good eye Cobra.

I'm learning to watch for those little clues in behavior. It's been a tough learning curve, but it's finally sinking in. In many ways it's a good thing. It forces me to be more aware of other people's behavior and what it means.

I don't want to turn into some kind of paranoid nut, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be a tad suspicious, and to pay attention to your instincts.
I was mainly pi$$ed at the fact I was making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch the next day, and had no ham. Bummer.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Well, not disputing the fact that sh^t happens here and everywhere else too, especially at a drive through in Canada.

But I want to post a more positive Playero story. When I was there on Monday I was not paying attention, and was on my own, day dreaming. As I walked back to the jipeta I heard a kid shouting at me so I turned and he ran up to me and gave me a pouch of pollo sopa I had purchased and was not bagged. He handed it too me, I thanked him and off he went. This sopa is worth $RD99, so not cheap. So not everyone at Playero is out to get you.

And yes, for years the Halls, Clorets, and gum are a real pain in the you know where. I guess we could teach them a lesson and shop elsewhere, Producto Sosua is good with cambio.

Sorry, perhaps this should be moved to the rant thread.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Hmmm....sh^t happens here alot more than in Canada...Most people I know don,t even lock thier doors in Canada...so, ya, I guess it happens once in awhile at a drive thru....???
I also, have almost been ripped off at Playero, and now make it a point not to daydream at the check-out.
My personality is changing here. People I have known for years are beginning to make coments like " wow, you don,t trust anybody" and "why are you so suspicious all the time".
Gotta get outa this town.:ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i solve the problem of change by paying with a credit card. and i watch the dude packing bags because i always have someting i need to have right now (haribos, namely) :)
i have never actually thought someone may want to nick anything we have bought, i guess i am just not very suspicious...

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
Holy cow! now I know whats been going on with the local national market we shop at. I cannot tell you folks how many times we are missing things, i mean all the damn time. before we lost our car, i would be like honey, go check the car, maybe it feel out of the bag. wow!! great post here and yes, the super knots are killing us! we use the bags as garbage bags as well, so when they tie it like superman, we always rip the bag. I'm freaked out right now, really stunned. I never thought about this and now I will pack my own stuff, those dudes annoy me anyways just like some have mentioned here. one bag for tuna, one bag for bread, etc! yesterday i had to tell the guy to stop because i didn't have a car and that i was walking....my fingers were really blue by the time i got home... raaaaaaaaaaaaa! Anthony

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Never had anything nicked at Tropical Supermarket in Puerto Plata. Occasionally have ended up with an extra item from the person in front of me which I didn't notice until I got home. Cashiers look surprised when you return it on your next trip.............& I've never had Tropical offer me sweets. They might ask me for a smaller note or a coin to make change giving easier, but they have never even attempted the sweets routine.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Count your Change

I was just there 2 weeks ago in Playero . I have property in Sosua and shop there all the time. I love the country but dislike being played as a fool.

I has thought about posting but decided not to. Now that Rocky has I think I will share with you.

The trick of asking if you have 20 pesos when checking out at the register I think is a tool to throw you off from counting the change. The bill was about 820 pesos I gave her 1,000 . She was very nice to lay my change out and count it. Smiling all the time . I don't know where she went to school but after counting my change and expecting me to put it in my pocket. I decided to recount what she did. Well guess she made an error . I looked at her and her reply was is there something wrong. I said yes, you owe me 50 pesos. She say's O' sorry and gave me my 50 pesos.

If you shop there and they try to distract you , just look on the bottom of your receipt and it will show how much the bill is, how much you gave them and what is your change. The change is also on the register in BIG NUMBERS a blind person could read.

Beware of that smile when there counting your change. Their only smiling because they know your getting screwed.

Mar 2, 2008
Lambada,
almost every store in Sosua is using little candies as change now. The last time I came back with enough candy to cover all the Halloween trick-or-treaters for a couple of years.
It started out as a way to cover the odd 1 or 2 peso change deal, but it has gotten to be, as Rocky said, where they are giving candy to cover up to 20-50 pesos of change. They discovered a good thing and they are running with it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like I said before: "Save it, along with your receipt, and use it to pay for stuff the next time." (Yeah, I know it is a major pain in the arse, but think about it; maybe they will get a clue?
Look, banks have coins, there is NO excuse for this penny ante sh^t!!

HB (truly a grouch today!!)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
excuse

once we went to pick up something from our farmacia on sunday afternoon (farmacia is only open till 1pm). all dominicans in the neighbourhood must have been watching because as soon as we opened the door they flooded in with "urgent requests". we ended up staying for nearly two hours serving customers and since the cash flow for monday could not be touched we had to use halls as one peso change. could not be helped.
but heck, that cannot be an excuse for a big shop like playero!
re: lambada and tropical, we shop in jose luis and on occasions when we only buy few emergency items for cash no-one has ever offered us sweets as a change...
maybe shops in POP have more decency towards clients?