Mitsubishi truck springs/shocks

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Hey everyone- we have a 2007 Mitsubishi single-cab pickup truck- great truck and hauls a lot of stuff. When it's carrying block or bags of cement, it rides really smooth. When it's empty, it rides like a rodeo bull-lots of bumps and jolts. Does anyone on DR1 have experience with changing the shocks and or springs to make a more comfortable ride? Thanks for your help.

Rick

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hey everyone- we have a 2007 Mitsubishi single-cab pickup truck- great truck and hauls a lot of stuff. When it's carrying block or bags of cement, it rides really smooth. When it's empty, it rides like a rodeo bull-lots of bumps and jolts. Does anyone on DR1 have experience with changing the shocks and or springs to make a more comfortable ride? Thanks for your help.

Rick
If you change them, it'll be a problem when you haul stuff.

Get a second vehicle, and use the truck when it's the right tool to do the job.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Air Shocks

Rick
;''As CobraBoy said its a truck. its supposed to have stiff ride when empty. the only thing you might be able to do is put adjustable air shocks on, then you got to remember to bump them up when you want to haul something.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with the above. I opened this thinking that you needed parts. All Mitsubishi parts are available in Santiago. New at Victor Mitsubishi, used down by the ball park..

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wouldn't dick around with shocks.
I would do it with tires.
Get a nice soft riding radial, and overinflate it a bit if you have a big load.
Changing the shocks is radical and can affect the vehicle in adverse ways, with regards to your own personal safety.
The modern vehicle suspensions are all hyper balanced and tuned.
Messing with the shocks can trash the handling and braking capacity.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
dont think te tires will help that much

I wouldn't dick around with shocks.
I would do it with tires.
Get a nice soft riding radial, and overinflate it a bit if you have a big load.
Changing the shocks is radical and can affect the vehicle in adverse ways, with regards to your own personal safety.
The modern vehicle suspensions are all hyper balanced and tuned.
Messing with the shocks can trash the handling and braking capacity.

dont think tires will help that much the stiffness is in the suspension, shocks, springs. etc. soft tires not going to do that much, still going to ride like a truck

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dont think tires will help that much the stiffness is in the suspension, shocks, springs. etc. soft tires not going to do that much, still going to ride like a truck
I drove the 5 ton Daihatsu Deltas for 6 years here, and the day that I wised up and bought a set of nice compliant bridgestone radials, it was like going from a tank to a Chevrolet.
It made a huge difference.
Night and day.

PS: I do agree that it will still ride like a truck, but a much smoother more comfortable truck.

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
change to air

Rick

You can do a couple of things depending on the applications that some of these places offer. I would go with air adjustable shocks, so you can adjust it when you have cargo and when you do not, You can also add an extra leaf as well, or you can change your shocks to the Monroe soft-ride for trucks. I have seen a place that does specialty work on churchill close to uni central plaza and also on nunez nor far from the national market, but of course this depends on your area where you live. sorry, not familiar with the areas here. Anthony

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You can do a couple of things depending on the applications that some of these places offer. I would go with air adjustable shocks, so you can adjust it when you have cargo and when you do not, You can also add an extra leaf as well, or you can change your shocks to the Monroe soft-ride for trucks. I have seen a place that does specialty work on churchill close to uni central plaza and also on nunez nor far from the national market, but of course this depends on your area where you live. sorry, not familiar with the areas here. Anthony
Shocks and springs work in concert. They are engineered to work together a certain way. If you change one, you should change the other or else you will get performance characteristics that most likely would be undesirable.

A truck is a truck. A car is a car. They two are different tools for different jobs. Using them for purposes neither was designed for will be forever frustrating.

rotondon

Aug 16, 2007
ill advice

no easy solutions for your problem:
do not add an extra spring leaf as this is done to increase load and stiffen your suspension which is the opposite of what you want.
depending on the tires you have now, you will notice a difference, if you have a 6 ply tire going to a 4 ply good tire will help.
Air shocks are used to help your springs to carry more load, do not go there.
changing to softer ride shock will help some, but there
is not much available from what you have now and they are not cheap.
shocks are not design to carry loads but to damper road irregularities.

what i would do first and you have to consider costs vs. results is to remove
one leaf from your rear springs,it will not affect your handling or your braking,
it will reduce your loading capacity some but not a great deal.

you simply have a truck with a truck suspension.

good luck
rotondon

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
adustable air shocks will indeed fix this issue along with the extra leaf since it was stated that his truck is overloaded as per his ride. one leaf spring plus adjustable air shocks makes this trucks owner a very happy one ;)

rotondon

Aug 16, 2007
*sigh*

Read the OP's post again. His truck rides like a cement mixer when it's empty, and rides fine when it's full.

He wants something to make it ride better when it's empty.

There was an edition of "Trucks" TV this weekend that featured a segment on installing one of the devices I mentioned in my earlier post.

I'll see if I can find a link and post it.

jd

i am familiar with the system you mentioned and it will work, but i dont believe is available for this truck, also the price of the kits are expensive

rotondon