Need Residence Card

muchachablanca

Aug 18, 2007
www.myspace.com
I am married to a Dominican man and have been living here for about one month. It is my understanding that I can reside here for 90 days and then, if I do not have my residence, I must return to the U.S. or travel to Santo Domingo to apply for an extension...is this correct?

I would like to secure my residency card as I would like to also secure employment here.

Any information anyone can provide will be very helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Stephanie Rodriguez
Santiago

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, you can stay here without residence. The main drawback is that you pay an overstay fee when you do eventually leave the country. You can also work without residency, but if you do decide to become a resident it is best to do so through a lawyer. Expect to pay about US$1,000. It can be done independently but it is a tedious business with lots of waiting and running around.

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service - Support (DR1)

This list was posted in April 2008:

OVERSTAY PENALTIES
15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Residency/Citizenship through marriage to a Dominican

You do not have to leave the DR; if you stay over the 90 day period you would only have to pay a very small fine prior to exiting the country. You have two options for regularizing your immigration status in the DR: either a. Apply for residency through the regular process (legally there are no special treatments for spouses of Dominicans) or b. Apply for Dominican citizenship based on your marriage to a Dominican.

You can obtaining Dominican citizenship as the wife of a Dominican based on Article 11 of the Constitution and Article 1 of Law 1683 of 1948. The application to the Ministry of Interior must be signed by both spouses and must be submitted with the following documents:

1) Certified copy of the marriage certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral. If the marriage took place abroad, the certificate should be authenticated at the nearest Dominican Consulate. If the marriage certificate is in a foreign language, it should be translated into Spanish by a translator certified in the DR and authenticated at the General Attorney?s office in Santo Domingo.

2) Certified copy of the wife?s birth certificate, authenticated at the nearest Dominican Consulate and at the appropriate offices in the Dominican Republic.

3) Certified copy of the husband?s birth certificate, legalized at the Junta Central Electoral.

4) 3 pictures, 2 x 2, of the wife.

5) Photocopy of the husband?s C?dula.

6) Photocopy of the wife?s Passport.

7) Stamps, government fees, etc.

All citizenship applications need to be filed in Santo Domingo

For more info PM me or write to info@drlawyer.com

Regards,

Alfredo