Furniture

spunky

Oct 12, 2007
I bought a condo in Cabarete and now have to furnish it. I would like modern style furnishing. Where is a good place to go? Puerto Plata or Santiago?;)

J

John Evans

furniture is a difficult thing to find ..like true love ...you will find it when you arent really looking

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
What kind of furniture are you looking for? American furniture, rattan furniture? How much do you want to spend. There are several options in the Sosua / Puerto Plata area.

spunky

Oct 12, 2007
I need table and chairs, couch and loveseat, bed and dresser, tv, fridge and microwave. I would like to spend no more than $8000.00 us. I like the dark mahogany wood and stainless steel fridge, microwave and coffee pot.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What's a loveseat?

Is it one of those contraptions you find in some of the cabanas touristicas?

There's a good place in Gaspar Hernandez, I can't remember the name, but it's on three floors. Has a good selection of everything you listed and at very reasonable prices. They deliver too.

I can also recommend Distribudor Gonzales in downtown POP opposite the church square.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Do tell us.....

What's a loveseat?

Is it one of those contraptions you find in some of the cabanas touristicas?

:laugh::laugh:

Seriously - what the heck is a loveseat, more to the point .......

Do I need to get one? ;)

Facil Muebles in front of the hospital in POP are OK if you are up for some hard bartering!
Rio

Last edited:

spunky

Oct 12, 2007
A love seat is just a small couch. It seats 2 instead of 3.
Thanks Beeza for your help.

J

John Evans

apparently this is one- it looks more like an instrument of torture
its a two seater seat where the seats face in opposite directions- very difficult for love making- this is an english love seat
love%20seat.jpg

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
You should go to Santiago. If you are an American expect to pay more. If you know someone that you trust that's Dominican bring him/her with you to negociate . The prices are a lot better for Dominican anywhere you go. Good luck

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Its so you can gaze into each others eyes.
Funnily enough the chairs you were thinking about Rio give little opportunity for eye contact!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
How da ya fancy......

A loveseat is a 2 seat sofa. If you want to know what the other thing is, google love chair. ;)

Lambada,
We have done the cooker thing to death - fancy going on a loveseat lookabout......? ;)

Rio

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
dlc01.jpg

This is what I was thinking of. But I can see one major flaw with it's design. It doesn't have any cupholders!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I need me one of those!

dlc01.jpg

This is what I was thinking of. But I can see one major flaw with it's design. It doesn't have any cupholders!

Is it for cleaning shoes - upper class style?

:laugh:

Rio - all respectability disappeared without trace!!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
furniture

In Sosua - Furniture Design center. Sometimes they have some items on sale. Quality furniture.
Rattan - 3 places in Sosua. My favorite is on the right hand side in Los Charimicos going from sosua to POP. Small place - great prices and quality.
In Puerto Plata - Distribudora Gonzales and Hidelisa. Both pretty large furniture places. Gonzales has appliances as well. Many places have appliances for sale.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Adames
30 de Marzo #38 Santiago
809-581-0097

You will think you are in Miami shopping for furniture. 3 gigantic showroom floors with every possible type of furniture available.

Ask for the fat brother of the owner to take you around. He will give you a nice discount if you ask.

They will deliver to Cabarete. You will get the furniture the next day. He will ask for 1,000rd to deliver, but if you buy a lot you can get this for free.

Highly recommended.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
On the way into Soussa, there is a furniture store. Right hand side comming from Cabarete. Big glass window. The have high quality stuff and will design and build anything you need. We've done 2 condo's with them and ended up paying less then the stores. For a frig. or microwave probably POP., But the cost a lot more here then in the US.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I found that the only thing that is more expensive here is electronics. I bought a great samsung fridge for $750 but the stainless steel one are closer to $1,000. the models on display usually already have the fingerprints!