Buyer Beware - Santiago - OCHOA

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I have for many years been shopping in Santiago, and have now seen SUBSTANTIAL proof that they are no longer "cheaper" than Puerto Plata for many things...............

Food still seems to be a better buy at sales there, but these are two examples this week:

OCHOA:

Acrylic Tropical House Paint that I purchased was 30 peso a gallon LESS AT Freddy's on the Main Road in Puerto Plata..........

AND GET THIS:

I needed a SOLVANT Based Acrylic Transparent Sealer for some stamped concrete we did......... 2 Gallons of Tropical Plus URACRYL 403 cost me $5,420.00 peso at Ochoa. We ran out of it and needed another....... We bought it today at NEUVA COLOR (other stores didn't have it) on John F. Kennedy in Puerto Plata for $1,380.00!!!! LESS THAN 1/2 THE PRICE!

BEWARE OF OCHOA..............ALTHOUGH WE DID GET A BETTER PRICE ON CERAMIC THERE LAST WEEK.........BY 50 PESO PER METER.

BASICALLY.........YOU REALLY HAVE TO COMPARE BEFORE YOU BUY CAUSE NOT EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER IN SANTIAGO........

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I was in sales for many years back home & there's an old & true saying .... "you can always buy something cheaper if you look around".

If you have the time & patience to shop around all power to you, but personally I like Ochoa because it's a "real" shop where you can browse & has a wide selection of goods.Also the more you buy the bigger your cumulative discount. Sorry this sounds like an advert for Ochoa, but I'm still enough of a newbie to remember the feeling of wonder at finding a decent hardware/homegoods shop in the DR lol.

Now when it comes to buying cars - by that I mean recently improted cars not used dominican cars - I WOULDN'T buy in Santiago. My reasoning is that, having seen how the cars are driven from the docks over the mountains, I'd rather buy in POP because there's less chance of abuse before arriving at the dealer.

J

John Evans

unfortunately you need to have a phographic memory to remember what you paid last time lol

I did a little test with pool supplies writing down what I paid from one time to another and found there was no pattern to what the price might be - I think it just depends what price was in the price gun at the time

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I don't mind paying

a little more or a little less so that I don't have to "shop" around but over $1,400. peso more for ONE gallon of paint is a bit much!