Here's where you say...WE TOLD U SO!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
;)So...here goes...hopefully everybody knows a little of my story now so that I don't have to retell it again.

Anyway, my problem is with Transportation for my kids to school.
Will be (maybe) living in Sajoma and my kids are registered in Private schools in Santiago.
The cheapest fare I have gotten to transport them there and pick them up (with me riding also of course) is 1,500 pesos per day...and that is from a friend of a friend
The other 2 rates were 2000 pesos and 1800 pesos per day
So...in dollars, 1500 pesos is approximately $45...so at $45 per day, school transportation will cost me @ $900 per month (approx. 30,400 pesos)

Here goes the I told you so...
I was supposedly to save SOOOOOOO much money by moving to Sajoma into my rented house with the big yard and 5 bedrooms for only 6,500 pesos!
JAJAJA...NOT HAPPENING

So I called a friend in Santiago, who of course, had been trying to convince me to move to Santiago all along...and he tells me that I can find a nice house there for the 30,400 pesos.

I have no idea what to do...for some reason I cannot FATHOM paying $900USD per month for basically a school bus!
I CAN pay it...but I don't WANT to pay it...

It just does not make sense to me....

Is this GOD trying to tell me something? For some reason or another, things keep popping up that say..."MOVE YOUR A** TO SANTIAGO" or am I just going crazy...

QUE OPINAN UDS?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you can rent a nice house in santiago for 13k pesos / month. I can't believe people pay 30k plus / month for a house in santiago. No wonder the prices keep going up, thats because some people are willing to pay.
AZB

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
SKing,

You're not purchasing a car?

If it's SAJOMA you wanted to live in so desperately then you might be disapponted in Santiago. You know how different it is ;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
NO Way!!!!! that's way too much money for school bus, just move to Santiago, plus you said you want activities for the kids and this you;ll also find in Santiago. You can go to SAJOMA any weekend to visit or during holidays its only 40 mins.away.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You know...
I am seriously thinking about WHAT it is that attracts me so much to Sajoma and I think that because my best friend is there is a big reason and the fact that when I have been in Santiago I just felt I would be ALONE and in Sajoma everyody knows eveybody. I have made alot of acquaintances there.

But as my friend in Sanitago told me, which is common sense, I will eventually meet people in Santiago...

I am really trippin' right now because I really don't know what to do...whatever I decide has to be quick because I am coming in August. And I want to make the best decision for my children also...you know?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
you can rent a nice house in santiago for 13k pesos / month. I can't believe people pay 30k plus / month for a house in santiago. No wonder the prices keep going up, thats because some people are willing to pay.
AZB

PLEASE tell me where? Because I have been looking and all I see is between 20,000 and 30,000 pesos. I need 4 bedrooms because my kids are accustomed to their own bedrooms. They are excited about moving and now that I have good schools for them, it would just be a fact of finding a good neighborhood.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It's not just the money you lose out on but all those hours spent on a bus are not really helping anyone, certainly not quality time, plus the increased chance of a traffic accident from all the extra road time is no small matter.

True, rentals have skyrocketted in Santiago lately but so has fuel, and transport is not likely to get any cheaper. Spend the money on rent and enjoy the extra 2 hours+ a day with the kids.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if you keep looking into 20-30k range, you will only find houses in that range. if you look in 10-15k range, you will find in that range as well. i am surprised how people can't find houses in the lower range in nice areas? i pay 6,500 pesos / month, in neighborhood called pariaso. Nice residential area, 3 bedroom and a huge backyard, 3 car parking with closed gate. So if I can find it why can't you? its just people come here speaking english and acting like a foreigner, don't do their homework, thus, play the role of a perfect victim. Of course the real estate agent will show you nothing but 30k range houses if that is what you plant in their minds from the beginning.
Please do your homework right, learn spanish and find real friends in santiago who know how to help you. Anyone can find a 30k house in santiago, you need a friend who can get you the same house for 15k.
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
It's not just the money you lose out on but all those hours spent on a bus are not really helping anyone, certainly not quality time, plus the increased chance of a traffic accident from all the extra road time is no small matter.

True, rentals have skyrocketted in Santiago lately but so has fuel, and transport is not likely to get any cheaper. Spend the money on rent and enjoy the extra 2 hours+ a day with the kids.

My thoughts exactly!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
if you keep looking into 20-30k range, you will only find houses in that range. if you look in 10-15k range, you will find in that range as well. i am surprised how people can't find houses in the lower range in nice areas? i pay 6,500 pesos / month, in neighborhood called pariaso. Nice residential area, 3 bedroom and a huge backyard, 3 car parking with closed gate. So if I can find it why can't you? its just people come here speaking english and acting like a foreigner, don't do their homework, thus, play the role of a perfect victim. Of course the real estate agent will show you nothing but 30k range houses if that is what you plant in their minds from the beginning.
Please do your homework right, learn spanish and find real friends in santiago who know how to help you. Anyone can find a 30k house in santiago, you need a friend who can get you the same house for 15k.
AZB
Thanks...actually my friend WAS telling me the same thing last night. He is a graphic designer and meets alot of people eveyday and told me that he would be looking very hard for me so as I can live comfortably without breaking the bank...
I know spanish (on an middle to intermediate level) and I am very good at playing the role of Dominicana...when it is needed
I do not have a real estate agent.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
AZB is correct in this point. The real estate agent is not looking to save you money. If you CAN pay 50k a month, he will look for 50k a month houses... that's just life.

Look for houses yourself, go visit them, tell your agent you want them for 10k, and he will take you to them. But you have to speak out.

Meeting ppl cannot hurt, and knowing Spanish is a good idea. In fact, I think anyone living here for more than a year who DOESN'T know Spanish is being disrespectful, to me, to my country and culture. I would be less willing to help such a person. PLus, you are asking for trouble by not knowing the basic things in Spanish.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is all good advice....

But did I say something to make everyone think that I don't know spanish?

You don't spend 3 years with ALL of your "outside of work" acquaintances being either Dominican or Puerto Rican and not know any spanish...

And having a Honduranian Nanny who doesn't speak a lick of english also helps things along! JAJAJA

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
This is all good advice....

But did I say something to make everyone think that I don't know spanish?

You don't spend 3 years with ALL of your "outside of work" acquaintances being either Dominican or Puerto Rican and not know any spanish...

And having a Honduranian Nanny who doesn't speak a lick of english also helps things along! JAJAJA

:)

Well, you never actually said you could speak Spanish. I assumed the worst. :cheeky:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If your kids are in pre-school, the commute would not be such a big deal, especially if you would drive. I would be concerned if someone else is doing the driving, and would not recommend it if your children are in grade school or high school. When parents drive, this is quality time with the kids, but when someone else drives, it is just a waste of time. Also, once they get into grade school and high school you will be under a lot of pressure to move to Santiago where they can be with their friends. Also, lots of afternoon classes will be in Santiago. You should find a place near where their school is, and save yourself lots of stress.

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Buy a car (if you don't have one) and hire a driver. That's it.

I would tend to agree that a concerted search for affordable and appropriate housing closer to the school is your best move. Regardless however, I would take Lollipop's idea 1 step further and say that if you are living in the DR and plan on continuing to do so, why wouldn't you buy a car and drive yourself?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I would tend to agree that a concerted search for affordable and appropriate housing closer to the school is your best move. Regardless however, I would take Lollipop's idea 1 step further and say that if you are living in the DR and plan on continuing to do so, why wouldn't you buy a car and drive yourself?

I am looking into that...
I do not have the funds to buy a car outright because if I bought one in the DR it would have to be NEW because I have read many threads on the topic and want to avoid future problems...and NEW cars in the DR are very expensive...
I was contemplating buying one here and shipping it but that also brings on unnecessary stress and inconvenience.
So, I am hammering out those suggestions in my head.
Also, the fact that I am financing a car here in the USA that I will be continuing to pay for even though I am in the DR doesn't help.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
If your kids are in pre-school, the commute would not be such a big deal, especially if you would drive. I would be concerned if someone else is doing the driving, and would not recommend it if your children are in grade school or high school. When parents drive, this is quality time with the kids, but when someone else drives, it is just a waste of time. Also, once they get into grade school and high school you will be under a lot of pressure to move to Santiago where they can be with their friends. Also, lots of afternoon classes will be in Santiago. You should find a place near where their school is, and save yourself lots of stress.

Yes, my oldest daughter is in High School (she will be entering 9th grade this year). My other daughter will be entering 4th grade and my son Pre-Primaria (he is 5 yo)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Yes, my oldest daughter is in High School (she will be entering 9th grade this year). My other daughter will be entering 4th grade and my son Pre-Primaria (he is 5 yo)

For a minute there ,I had to take a double take.

I thought you have been taking notes from Dominican-Kidd.

Get it "Yo"!!!

Funny Friday!!!!;);)

(I know you meant "years old")

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sking, stop taking worthless advice form some poeple who encounter nothing but problems in DR. Buying a good used car is not such a bad idea. Just buy a toyota and then get to know a good honest mechanic who can keep your car in good shape. the repairs are dirt cheap so you can actually get your car totally rebuilt for next to nothing. I have done this to my old 1990 toyota and it runs like new again. You can buy a 2002 model, it will be like brand new if the owner has taken a good care of it. Finding good used cars are easy and they are everywhere. Rocky is the man who helps people find good used cars. He know quite a bit about cars and he is an expert in fixing computers. so there you have it, computer repair and car shopping, all in one stop. Hahaha
My next advice would be to find a good gasoline car and install a propane tank in it. You will tank me for the rest of your life.

I would help you get a house but the last time I did that for an american friend, he behaved good for the first 5 months and then one day he skipped the country without telling anyone. he owed 2 months rent, didn't pay electric bill, gas, cable or anything. The lawyers were after me to collect the money he owed. Thanks god I didn't sign any papers with the lawyer so they couldn't really get me. I have learned my lesson eversince.
AZB