OK to travel w. jewlery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
Staying a week in the North Coast, mostly Sosua, but driving around in rental car. Should I leave my jewlery at home, or not worry about it?

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
bronxboyatheart is right...leave it at home. why worry about it when you dont have to :)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We live here and don't wear it. We don't have anyone to impress. Be safe and have a good time.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
jewellry

Staying a week in the North Coast, mostly Sosua, but driving around in rental car. Should I leave my jewlery at home, or not worry about it?

Wearing jewellry anywhere is an invitation to be ripped off.

I had a gold chain that was ripped off my neck at a red light in Florida.

No one ever stole the keys to my 500SL though !

Mar 2, 2008
Ditto.
There's no reason to bring it, and many good reasons to leave it.
A cheap throw-away watch is just something to remind yourself to catch the return flight, and it's all you'll need.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
agreed with all. Leave ALL the good stuff at home and dont worry. i'd even keep the cheepo watch in your pocket...how will somone know that it is cheap?

I dont wear a watch...but i always DO bring a clock for my room for some reason many places dont provide a clock! not that i want to live on a tight schedule..but it is nice to know sorta what time it is

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
agreed with all. Leave ALL the good stuff at home and dont worry. i'd even keep the cheepo watch in your pocket...how will somone know that it is cheap?

I dont wear a watch...but i always DO bring a clock for my room for some reason many places dont provide a clock! not that i want to live on a tight schedule..but it is nice to know sorta what time it is

Correct.

Bob K, you are right but I rather know what time it is instead of asking someone else. I can easily loose track of time when I am having a great time.

But, in any event OP, the best thing is not to attract any attention. Cheap or expensive, leave it home if it worries you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The less you look like a rich, stoopid gringo, the less of a target you become. Unless your point is to impress locals.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004

While I like to be flexible when on vacation, knowing the time is too firmly engrained in my psyche to be comfortable without a watch.

Instead of a cheap imitation of an expensive watch, wearing a practical Timex or something similar will leave little doubt as to it's value (or lack thereof). While the loss may be insignificant in either case, being robbed is not a pleasant experience. No problem for me, since I've never considered a watch as jewelery, but for some it could be an adjustment.

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
This is interesting - I have travelled widely over the past 25 years, and always wear my jewellery ( in fact in some places, I sleep with it on) - never been mugged or had anything stolen. Why do I do it ? Because many years ago, a close friend DIDN'T take hers with her on holiday, and her home was burgled whilst she was away - yes, all the jewellery gone.
Also, my first husband told me over 30 years ago to always wear my jewellery, because, in a crisis, a gold chain is money anywhere in the world.
I just don't wear it to the beach....not that much of a blinger !!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and also it prevents a possible break-in at your hotel room by wearing less expensive jewelry. i never really trust those safety boxes (even the digital ones).

my advice here is for times like going to the beach to swim...

Mar 2, 2008
As Yogi Berra might have said, "Nothing happens until it happens."

Perhaps you will continue to live a charmed life, Euterpe, but if it isn't necessary why push the odds?

Your first husband probably gave you very good advice 30 years ago, but monetary and financial systems have changed substancially, and with the proper cards and credentials, there is little chance you will ever to be without funds.

Obviously, these are your decisions to make. As far as I am concerned, flashing expensive jewlery only attracts undesireable attention, in most instances.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I don't think it is a good idea to flash around or wear something that is more than a year's salary for the majority of people here or something they know they could never have. It is too tempting and also perhaps a little insensitive.

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Wearing bling in any developing country is just plain foolish.

As for keeping the time of day, you should just look at your local cell phone that you will carry all the time (you can buy them used with minutes for little money at New York Cellular in Sosua, for example). That way you can load it with emergency phone numbers, such as your embassy and/or consulate, a good lawyer (by DR1 referral), Med-Evac, your health insurance carrier back home, etc. It is also a good idea to have your family's phone numbers in there under the Spanish heading of Mi Familia, or some similarly obvious name so that in case of a real emergency you, or someone else who finds you, can call them.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Oh,please olddog! Do you seriously think cobraboy doesn't know how to spell the word stupid? He obviously did it for effect. Misspelling a word describing someone lacking intellegence or judgement.........STOOPID. Get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.