Big cities in the DR

DRdude1

Jun 6, 2008
Hey, me and few friends as most probably going to DR this summer, thing is, when I look up the names of the cities that people recommend are the funnest and best cities in DR, they end up looking kinda "villagey". Personally, this type of location is not my favorite although I can tolerate it. We want a big city, can you locales or experienced travelers recommend some cities or one city in specific that is the largest and most city-like (lets say closest looking to New York City). And, out of these cities, choose one that is best for night-life and has good looking women.

- Thanks

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
The list is:
1. Santo Domingo

In other cities nightlife is apparently so lame people even have to resort to listening to bachata. So I hear.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The DR is not the US or UK for that matter, each country is distinctive from one another as well.

If most tourists wanted to enjoy NYC like cities in the DR, why would they visit the DR in the first place???

If you want to visit the DR and while doing so, enjoy some services provided by "city" like living, then you can opt to stay in Santo Domingo's centric zone or Santiago; anything further will downgrade your perception of what a city should look like...

The problem with great modern cities is that being in one is like being in any other...
They all lack the identity which was lost when the mega-city phenomena were let out of the bag...

Standing in Tokyo's famous meeting plaza off the metro, is jut like standing in the middle of NYC's Penn Station or UK's Piccadilly’s... All look and feel the same, chaotic, congested and lineal...

Looking at Santo Domingo, one can't say the same once you take a stroll down the streets... One moment you're off from the Hilton modern and city like style, the next you find yourself walking the in a colonial street with 500+ yo buildings out of the history books; then you walk a few blocks and you find yourself facing a row of vendors akin to the lined merchants of any old world pagodas...

That's the charm of the DR!
The DR is not NYC or Brazil or Toronto, the DR is the Caribbean as Caribbean is...

Jan 5, 2006
Santiago is by no means a big city. Sure, beautiful girls are a dime a dozen, but night life is basically non-existent from Monday through Wednesday, and even on the weekends, SD can offer 10 times the variety of Santiago.

Based on what the OP is asking for, SD is the best choice. Santiago is in a sense a large city by DR standards, but it still has the charm and feel of a small city, which SD lost some 20 years ago.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
cant understand why people come here to this great,vibrant island with all kinds of history and life,and want it like where they came from...if you want great night life,go to any barrio or town,go to local car wash,listen to great Doninican music,and see more good looking women in one night than you have seen your complete lifetime...and enjoy caribbean life and great dominican people.
bob